“No problems at all”

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Ranked #60 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel while attending a business convention at another hotel. Checkers was old and very ornate. I paid a little extra for a "corner room" and I'm not sure if it was worth the money or not. Although I did not have "neighbors" on three sides of my room, I did have the traffic noise of Grand Avenue all week. I enjoyed the view however and I got used to the traffic. The front desk staff was average and welcoming but they had no idea about parking my car other than their own valet. I found this concerning as I am not familiar with L.A. parking garages and was unsure if I had parked legally (in the garage next to the property used by Checkers to valet). It turns out although parking was expensive, it was somewhat convenient.

The housekeeping staff was on point-thank you Checkers. The person assigned to my room took that "little extra step" in caring for my room. She (or he) refilled my small ice chest daily with ice, re-filled my coffee maker with extra coffee as I drink several cups in the morning, and took the time to arrange things back in order every day. For this reason alone, I would visit the Checkers again.

All in all I give Checkers L.A. a "very good" rating. Parking is expensive, but it is everywhere. Staff was friendly and very helpful, and the hotel was nice, especially for those interested in an old, historic building.

Room Tip: Valet at Checkers was $42 a day, the same parking garage charges $12.50 a day (weekends only) for se...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Rocio_R202, Executive Administrator at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Our housekeeping staff will be honored to hear such compliments. We thank you for your feedback, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

There are newer reviews for Hilton Checkers Los Angeles

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Moved to this hotel after one night at LAX Hilton. It is a smaller hotel and they do not have a concierge level. The hotel is very convenient to various downtown activities. they were very helpful in canceling my reservation at LAX. They were very helpful in obtaining a room for the rest of the weekend.

Room Tip: I moved to this hotel from LAX Hilton. I checked in to the wrong hotel the night before. The staff...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your stay

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Hilton Checkers was a very pretty, old building, with a lot of embellishments that is somewhat characteristic of buildings built in that era -- small rooms. The rooms are average for a Hilton, definitely have seen better. Pleasant bathroom but the size of the room was tight (and we were in one of the supposedly better corner room).

We were told that the room had 2 Queen beds but they were most decidedly double beds, meaning we were not able to sleep in the same bed (which was odd given that we've been together for 23 years). This really was a misrepresentation, as were many of the reviews seen here. I was expecting more, but what we got was definitely less -- less space in the rooms and less space with the beds.

Not sure I would know what to do with the rooms, except luxe them up a bit so they feel insistently luxurious, as opposed to very small. Convenient location, tho.

Room Tip: Ask for the largest room that you can get, trust me.
1  Thank HotelFreak222
DonnaLewis1, Director of Sales at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Thank you for your candid feedback. It was nice to hear that you found the building attractive.

However, it was disappointing to hear that your guestroom did not leave up to your expectations. For our guest’s convenience, we do offer rooms with either 2 queens or 2 double beds. You are correct, the beds in our Corner rooms are doubles and we apologize that was not better communicated upon check-in.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

This is a great hotel which is conveniently located close to many of my clients which are the banks and law firms. The people at the Hotel are always pleasant and accomodating to your needs. Restaurant is also very good.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

We are glad you found our hotel fit your needs, thank you for sharing your experience with us.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Good location for exploring the Historic Downtown LA district; easy walk to everything, so we could leave our car in the garage. Room had everything we need for our one night stay. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you, for sharing your feedback with us. It sounds like you were able to enjoy many of the attractions that are nearby.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

This is a great hotel in every way. Located in the city centre it meets the highest standards. The staff were welcoming and helpful throughout; the bedroom large and well appointed with a really comfortable bed; the soundproofing excellent (no traffic noise); the bar and restaurant inviting and good value; the location great (with an excellent seafood restaurant opposite). This is a perfect base for a visit to downtown LA. Strongly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Our staff team will be honored to hear such compliments. We thank you for your constructive feedback, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Great hotel with excellent views of Downtown Los Angeles. Staff was very helpful with recommendations and information. Even provided car service to Staples Center for concert was attending. Make sure you visit the top floor to experience views of downtown. Coffee shop directly across street from hotel is excellent option for breakfast also. Garage parking located directly beside hotel is expensive and not affiliated with hotel. Within walking distance of Staples Center and LA LIve and walked back to hotel at night.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Rocio_R202, Executive Administrator at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

We are so glad we could exceed your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you were able to enjoy many of the attractions that are nearby. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.