“The beds are hard”

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Ranked #66 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 May 2014

The cleaning staff are amazing, and the same is true of most of the rest of the staff, but the persons that answer the phones are mediocre. The view from the penthouse is nice, and the bar staff is great. But, do yourself a favor and valet your vehicle. The parking lot is difficult to manage if you have a lot of luggage, and/or you have small children. It's fine if you're there on business, but there are better places to stay otherwise.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Write a ReviewReviews (1,346)

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Had a quick one night stay in this hotel. The staff was very friendly. The rooms were clean and spacious...had a corner room with two windows which was nice. It's conveniently located near many restaurants and City Hall. They're currently remodeling their lobby bar, so it's been relocated to the rooftop. This is great due to the view and with great weather, it's nice to be outside. Only drawback to that is when you purchase anything on the rooftop, it will appear as "spa" on your bill. They are working on fixing this, but it's inconvenient when you're on a business trip.

1  Thank Michelle L
RocioERivas, Executive Administrator at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you, for sharing your feedback with us regarding your stay. It has been shared with our management team so that we can continue to improve the experience for our guests. Our associates will be so pleased to hear that you appreciated their level of care and service

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is a centrally located hotel with plenty of restaurant choices nearby, from fast food to fine dining. We stayed her as we had dinner reservations at the Water Grille and didn't want to worry about driving home afterwards (we only live about 4 miles away) but it made for a nice relaxing evening. Great choice for a hotel in downtown

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paulbF4145SU

We are so glad you experienced an enjoyable and restful stay with us.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The shower was just awful. We could handle the low pressure, but the water temperature constantly fluctuated from hot to cold - cold to hot. Even when you made adjustments, the water temperature changed constantly. We first reported this day one of our stay. The bath robe was dirty. It had stains on it. No free wi-fi service in room. The room was very small; having the desk position where the chair blocked the television. Even though the exorbitant parking valet of $42.50 was comp'd - we should have been offered another room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I travel a lot for work and mostly stay at Hilton properties. Recently I stayed at the Hilton Checkers in Los Angeles. Due to renovations to the property there was not place to buy a Diet Coke - the front Desk Clerk gave me two - both of which I consumed that evening. The next day after returning to my room after an all day meeting my room had been made up - not in a standard way but in a way that suited my travel style. The attendant had paid attention to the towels, etc. that I used so they were arranged in such a manner as to be convenient for me.

When I went to get ice for my ice bucket I found two Diet Cokes covered in ice in that container....how awesome. I have never had housekeeping pay such close attention to my needs or try to please me. When I checked out I asked the name of the Housekeeper (who I left a tip - for the first time in my life)...her name was Cecilia.

She is a keeper and deserves a raise and rewards. In many Hilton Hotels I stay at the ice bucket is never emptied and plastic bag replaced during my entire stay. Cecilia obviously pays attention to your guests.....I will definitely return to Checkers and ask for Cecilia!!

2  Thank Kathleen C
Rocio_R202, Executive Administrator at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

It warms our hearts to know that we could exceed your expectations. Our staff truly appreciates knowing they could make your stay an enjoyable one. We look forward to your future visit.

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We visited LA for two nights and decided on the Hilton because other reviews suggested the location was great. It wasn't great for us, even though we had hired a car it didn't seem like the best location to do the touristy things. Santa Monica would have been a better location.
Back to the hotel, it's in a nice heritage looking building and we were given a room on the fifth floor, room was nice and the set out fine enough as well. When the curtains were opened we saw a concrete wall right up against our room, I was too tired to complain about it as we arrived at 11pm after a whole day of flying. Anyways I just hope that this was the last available room because why else would you put anyone in that room!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Whereswussa
Checkers01, General Manager at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles. We are sorry our location did not fit your needs. i hope you will consider us, should you need to visit the Staples Center, Disney Concert Hall, home to the LA Philharmonic Orchestra and Dodger Stadium.

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Hilton Checkers is an affordable place to stay in downtown LA. It is close to many eateries, the room is clean, quiet and the bathroom is spacious and very well appointed. We felt welcome from the tie we stepped into the hotel. Also, it is close to the Metro, so it is easy to move around LA.

1  Thank Partha B

We are so glad we could exceed your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you were able to enjoy many of the attractions that are nearby. Thank you for sharing your experience with us