“Hilton Checkers”

Ranked #59 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel is located near the library in the centre of town. The hotel rooms are clean and quiet so I slept well in the very comfortable bed. The bathroom is quite spacious and well appointed. Overall a pleasant stay in an historic upgraded property.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Checkers01, General Manager at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Checkers I’m delighted to hear that your overall stay was comfortable.I look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Checkers Los Angeles

Reviewed 11 July 2014

The rooms were of a good size inclusive of the bathroom. They were well appointed and the location of the hotel was ok. The service at front desk and concierge was excellent. No breakfast (or at least I didn't find it).
The location of the hotel is good, although it tends to be a cab type town.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

We are so glad you experienced an enjoyable and restful stay with us and that our associates could exceed your expectations. We look forward to your return visit

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Excellent hotel, personable and professional staff, great food and the rooms are very well appointed and always clean. Always enjoy my visits to Los Angeles because of the wonderful way I get treated at this hotel. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Our staff will be delighted to hear they were able to help make this a wonderful experience for you. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here during a recent trip to LA and was quite impressed. Conveniently located in LA's Financial District, the property is close to the Fashion District, LA Live, and the Disney Concert Hall, among other attractions. I loved the ornate exterior, which was originally built as the Mayflower Hotel in 1927. The public areas are luxurious and there is a cozy bar right off the reception area. The property has 193 rooms/suites on 15 floors with an amazing rooftop deck that is home to the hot tub. You can relax and look out over the city lights as if you're on your own private terrace!

Rooms are cozy, but well appointed. Our double room had an honor bar, coffee maker and armchair, along with flat screen TV and CD player. The marble bath was brightly lit and featured Peter Thomas Roth toiletries (a staple at Hiltons & one of my faves!) Beds were super comfy and featured down comforters. Room was well-cleaned and maintained.

Checking in and out was seamless and the staff consistently recognized and greeted us upon our return. Although home to Checkers Downtown,we ended up eating at Bottega Louie's instead. There is a Starbucks across the street, as well as a Pain Quotidien around the corner. Valet parking is high at $38.50 and we opted to park at the Pershing Square Garage, (http://www.parkme.com/lot/2429/pershing-square-garage-los-angeles-ca) which is a block away. 24 hour parking was only $16 and even with leaving and returning a few times, we still saved money.

I would highly recommend checking out this little gem the next time you're in LA. Reasonable rates, great location, and the rooftop deck is not to be missed! Also check out the Maguire Gardens at the Los Angeles Public Library next door - a great place to escape the hustle & bustle of downtown!

Room Tip: Corner rooms offer a little more real estate.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MizzusK

We are so glad we could exceed your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you were able to enjoy many of the attractions that are nearby. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have stayed at lots of Hiltons and this one was really a nice surprise. The hotel is quite small (for L.A.), with maybe 10 rooms on a floor, and 15 floors or so. Rooms were on the small size, but well-priced. Parking was a bit pricey ($42/nite), but hey, it's downtown so deal with it. Lots of restaurants within walking distance, but I wouldn't venture too far in the late hours. Restaurant was quite expensive, so I ate at other places in the area. Hotel is obviously remolded older hotel with granite bathrooms, and some items are a bit dated such as plumbing, etc. But I am nostalgic, so I enjoyed it. Stayed 5 nites and got to know the bellmen, bartenders and people behind the desk. Appeared that for many, this is their "go to" hotel in L.A., since when they walked in, the staff knew them, often by name. Nice touch.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience of Hilton Checkers Los Angeles. We are glad you enhoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed here two nights.

Great location in downtown area, near Pershing Square, near a bunch of cool, hip restaurants like Bottega Louie and Industriel.

The hotel itself is modest in size. Lobby is small and narrow...not a hang around type space. The bar/lounge area is nicely tucked away with plush sofas and chairs.

The valet was very courteous and helpful, as was the check-in desk personnel. The dining room where I had breakfast is plush with a great, responsive wait staff.

I was very pleased with my room. Fairly spacious with nice high ceilings. The bathroom was retro-chic and had all the amenities you expect from a Hilton property.

Parking was expensive ($36 per night), but it is to be expected for a downtown location. I parked 2 blocks away at Pershing Square for $18 per night.

I felt that I got great value for the price ($140 per night). I'd stay here again.

PROS:
great location in downtown LA
vintage property retains many of it's historic charms
friendly, helpful staff
nice dining room for breakfast
good value on weekend stay

CONS:
expensive parking ($36 night)
pay for wi-fi (see below)

NOTE:
My only gripe is being charged for Wi-Fi. This is a Hilton-wide policy, even though I am a second-tier Hilton Honors member guest (Silver level). This policy is bothering me more and more these days and I am seriously considering moving my loyalty to another hotel conglomerate. If Starbucks gives you free Wi-Fi for a $2 cup of coffee, why do I need to pay $10 (per night!) when I'm spending $150 already for the room!
Tacky and greedy.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Hilton Checkers. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, despite the internet charges. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Had a amazing stay at this hotel! The location was conveniently located close to the fashion district as well as other shopping areas. The pool is located on the rooftop which is absolutely gorgeous the sky lines make for the perfect background. Room was a nice size and the bed was comfortable. We had 4 people in the room and I didn't feel crammed what so ever. Bathroom was very nice. .white marble like material, gorgeous. Chipotle as well as another restaurant are located within walking distance so that was nice. Valet parking is 24hrs with in and out privileges...can't remember the cost but probably around $25-30? I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I would also stay here again!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends