“Nice Rooms, Great Service in Downtown LA”

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Ranked #52 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“Nice Rooms, Great Service in Downtown LA”
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We took the train up to LA for one night from San Diego to see Will Ferrell at the Nokia. We booked this hotel on points to stay for one night. From Union Station, we jumped on the Metro purple line (red will get you there also) and got off at Pershing Square and walked to the hotel.

We arrived and checked in about 3pm and our room was ready, room 1106. The rooms are a little small, but they were nice, clean, and comfortable. The place had a romantic feel. We ended up ordering a fruit plate and got chocolate covered strawberries extra! The bathroom is a good size and the shower had a dual shower head! After getting settled, we went to check out the spa level with the pool and hot tub. The pool is pretty small, but the view is really cool. We were hoping to use the hot tub, but didn't end up having time. There is also a small workout room up there with a couple of treadmills and some weights.

We had a fun, great dinner at Yojie and walked there, straight down Grand Ave about 4 or 5 blocks, before the show. We would have continued walking to the Nokia after dinner, but I forgot the tickets. We walked back to the hotel and took a cab (about $10) to Nokia. We walked back to the hotel after the show and it took about 20 minutes. We felt completely safe the entire time.

We had breakfast the next morning in the restaurant. I had the pancakes with pecans and cinnamon pecan butter. The hubby had the huevos rancheros. Both items were very good. The service was pretty good although I saw only 2 people running the whole place for breakfast.

We had never been to downtown LA before and found downtown to be fairly clean and quiet (most people stay in Hollywood or the beaches). When we left on Sunday, we walked to the train station (about 30 minutes) to do a little sight seeing on the way. It was crazy that it was so quiet and deserted!

OVERALL, we really like this hotel and had an enjoyable stay. We will definitely look into staying here again if we decide to go to another show or game at Staples in the future.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FreqTravelers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 21 February 2010

I have just returned from a 3 night stay earlier this week at the Hilton Checkers with my teenage son (19), whom I was visiting to help nurse through an illness, and I have been raving to everyone about it since my return. My eldest son is a sophomore at USC and for the past two years I have been searching for a hotel to make my regular place to stay when in town for a visit. Thank goodness I have finally found the Hilton Checkers! It is heads and tails above the Millenium Biltmore, which is right across the street, in terms of both quality of cleanliness and service and far superior to the Hotel Miyako in nearby Little Toyko, which although charming and in a great location, was lacking in quality of room amenities.

From the moment we checked in late Tuesday night, I knew that I had made the right decision to book at this property. The lobby was well appointed and the check-in process was completely hassle free. We were given a room with two queen beds on the 11th floor (room 1107), which was close to the elevator bank, but this fact did not result in any excess ambient noise in our room. The room was spacious, the beds extremely comfortable, the a/c in excellent working condition, and the bathroom was well appointed, with dual shower heads and all of the extras you could desire (cotton balls, q-tips, etc..). Even though we were arriving rather late, room service was open and the food we ordered was delicious - the hotel staff was even able to accomodate my son's specific dietary needs and prepare something off menu. But be forewarned - the room service prices were a bit steep!

As we were there a total of three nights - and due to my son's illness, spent pretty much the entire time at either the hotel itself or in the immediate vicinity, I had plenty of time to formulate an opinion of both. I was extremely impressed with the attentiveness of the housekeeping staff, who arrived at approximately the same time each day and did a great job consistently. Also, when I needed to add on an extra night during our stay, the person whom assisted me at the front desk was very helpful and made sure that I was able to secure the same great AAA rate. Each time I called down for my car, the valet service was prompt and attentive (although once again, hotel parking is pricey). Honestly, every person with whom I came into contact during our stay was absolutely delightful. The Hilton Checkers will be the only place I stay in Downtown LA from here on out!

Just a few comments on nearby restaurants: Directly across the street is a great little bakery called Mocha Java Bakery that has the best croissants (including chocolate!) that I have eaten outside of Paris. At the end of the block across the street is a Starbucks, Robecks Smoothies and Famima, which is an amazing general store that has everything you could possibly imagine, including delicious take away meals that provide a much more affordable alternative to room service. Just another block down on Grant and 7th is an amazing restaurant and take away cafe called Bottega Louis that has a wide array of freshly baked breads, fine French cheeses, and delicious salads, etc.. Just a short drive away (and possibly a walk, depending on how adventurous you are) is Little Tokyo, which is an oasis in the middle of Downtown LA. If you are craving high quality, delicious, Japanese cuisine, then Oomasa is the place for you! We ordered take out for one lunch and two dinners there, and I make sure to visit it at least once during each of my visits. You will not be disappointed.

Bottom Line - It was a great pleasure to stay at this property and I am sincerely looking forward to my next visit, hopefully under better circumstances!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank VegasPisces
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Stayed one night at the Checkers. Rooms are nice but small. Decent size bathroom, Nice flat screen tv. Had a king size bed, which was very comfortable. Walls were thin, Location is central downtown so you can walk anywhere (Disney Hall, Little Tokyo, museums, Macy Plaza.) My husband and I took a 15 minute walk over to Nokia theatre for a concert. There's lots of eateries, bowling, Conga Room, Staples Center next to the Nokia, so lots to do. The Hotel has a nice rooftop pool and spa, although they decided to drain the hot tub. Probably not a good idea to drain the hot tub on Valentine's Day weekend when the hotel is busy.
We ate dinner at the hotel's restaurant. Food was okay and portions very small and because it was Valentine's night, there was a pre-fixed menu of 4 courses for $75. A little pricey.
A few of our cons were:
Draining the hot tub and Ice Cold pool
Employees were unfamiliar with what the Valentine's day package included.
Missing bottle of champagne as part of our package. Had to wait until next morning to get it.
No robes in room. (Boutique hotel???)

We have to thank Dorris at the front desk. When we expressed our dissatisfaction, She took action to remedy.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2010

We booked this based on the location reviews and were not disappointed. There is valet parking which was rather expensive but nice and easy. There is overnight parking in Pershing Square at a fraction of the price. The check in was quick and courteous and the room was easy to find. It was rather nice not to have people jump on you trying to carry your bags to the room, but if you do want help it is available. The room was a reasonable size and was very clean with nice bedding, towels and toiletries. We were knackered on arrival so ate room service which was very tasty and there was plenty of it. The next night we ate in the restaurant which I would suggest you don't bother with. Had we not been so very very jet lagged we would have gone out, but we just couldn't make it!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BOOBOO30
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 6 February 2010

I have stayed here several times and I always enjoy it. The staff is very friendly, and everyone from the bellmen to the front desk staff all greet everyone each time they enter. I stay there because my client is close by. I have stayed in other properties nearby, but this is my favorite. It's lovely, low-key, friendly, and very comfortable. I generally stay on the top floor and have had fantastic views of the gorgeous roof of the public library and Library Tower. I only wish the rates were more competitive with the other nearby properties. It's tricky to justify to my client.

Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank craiginnycNewYork_NY
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 February 2010

I really enjoyed my brief stay at the Hilton Checkers, an early 20th-century building wedged between the skyscrapers in the heart of downtown. The hotel is right next to the public library and Library (USBank) Tower. Even my 2nd floor room had a pretty good view of it and the surrounding buildings, if only while standing at the window. The size of the room was as you would expect for a building of this age, but the space was used well and the marble bathroom and closet were surprisingly large. Most rooms have corner windows for added light. Other nice touches such as back-lit headboards, decorative glass sconces, crown molding, and granite topped furniture make this a much nicer Hilton property than many others. The roof-level pool area is amazing. Trendy restaurants, convenience stores, public transit, and self parking are all less than 2 blocks away. The hotel only offers valet parking for 38.50 but lots nearby charge 12-18 for overnight parking (not secured). Best in-room coffee I've ever had (Lavazza). I would return.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank plasticintruder
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 January 2010

I was here with a friend over MLK weekend and it was a little pricey. The hotel staff was nice, and accomodating, even booked a rental car for us. The rooms are very nice and clean. Because we had a rental car, we needed to park it overnight and the hotel's parking was very expensive ($40/day), so we found a parking garage a block away that only charged $10/night. I would recommend this hotel if you're on business, but if traveling for pleasure, I'd pick something different.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends