“Searching for an identity”
Review of Ortolan Restaurant - CLOSED

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Reviewed 27 April 2009

Christophe Eme is no doubt a good chef. Most of the dishes we had were better than good. However, we felt that Ortolan suffered an identity crisis. Not as formal as the defunct L'Orangerie but still pricy and with less atmosphere. Maybe some like the dim lighting and booths, but I didn't get into it. Service was very attentive. Overall, something felt lacking. I can't pinpoint what went wrong, but I can say I am not eager to go back and would rather try something else next time.

1  Thank dvg_loves_cali

Reviewed 15 February 2009

My wife and I was there for V-day. They had the pre-fixe menu which was okay but nothing really impressed us. What definately did not impress us was seating us next to the bar. Do not let them seat you there. There were people waiting (which I suspect because they were overbooked.) and they were standing literally inches from our table. We weren't regulars maybe that's why they put us in 2nd Class seating. It was also so dark in there we couldn't read the pre-fixe menu nor our food. Our waitress was bubbly and friendly but obviously overwhelmed. Service was lacking to say the least. There are plenty other choices in this town. Will not go again.

2  Thank IanJenn
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 August 2008

Wow. In one visit, this is my favorite French in LA. The food literally surprised with its flavors, textures, execution, and presentation. A warm environment, impeccable service (try to notice how silently the staff moves about and collects your plates) -- an expensive venue worth every cent.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 4 August 2008

One of the fanciest restaurants in Los Angeles, in a modern french sense.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 August 2008

This place is a culinary adventure. The dishes are not only creative in presentation, but fabulously delicious. Now if only I had lots and lots of money so I could go there all the time..

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook