“Outdated and Terrible Service”

Los Angeles Airport Marriott
Ranked #67 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Bethesda, Maryland
“Outdated and Terrible Service”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

This hotel is in desperate need of renovation. Stayed here the night before a flight and am a Marriot silver elite customer. Horrible customer service at check-in. Had requested a king and when it wasn't available would only be given an "upgraded room" with a king at an additional charge. Totally unnecessary for the add'l charge especially as often as we stay at a Marriott. The room itself was on the top floor and was supposedly an "upgrade", but was very dingy. Carpets need to be replaced - had a musty odor. Bathrooms are old and very outdated. Would not stay here again. Will try the Westin next time on the same street. Went there for dinner at the Daily Grill.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank excitedtraveler46

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We stayed at the Marriott overnight to catch a flight to Cabo the next morning. I had made my reservations in advance and requested a room on a higher level with a great view of the city (yes, I am a rewards member). So, we arrive at the airport and wait for the shuttle and wait for the shuttle and wait for the shuttle (many shuttles came and went repeatedly before the Marriott shuttle finally showed up. We arrive at the hotel and I again confirm that we will have a higher level floor with a great view of the city. I'm told that we will be very happy with the room as it has a great view (see photos attached - if this is a great view.... I would hate to see a bad one). The room was clean but very small. The next morning we waited on the shuttle and waited on the shuttle and waited on the shuttle. We will try a different hotel on our next visit to LA.

Room Tip: You might mention that a "nice view of the city" does not mean a nice view of the airport...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LilLorriLee
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Reviewed 6 June 2012

.... We arrived early evening for an overnight after 24 hours of travel. First a van never came for airport transportation so we took a taxi...$20.00. Then at the hotel, no Valet to help with luggage until once inside. We didn't use the bellman. No real front greeting....cold....and the desk clerk seemed to hate her job. I was told it was late,7:00pm and the room type I reserved was unavailable so "what do you want?". Still no bellman help. Since I stay at Marriotts often, I commented that I was not accustomed to finding a circumstance as this. Tha clerk did not care and stated again, what do you want, two double beds? I took the room and before we went to it I approached an "elite" registration desk where Andrea greeted me and was helpful in changing the room.

We did not ever get a bellman. Other than Andrea, poor staff, room was ok, small bathroom, but clean and quiet room. I would choose differently even for a 24 hour lay over.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mahlonjanwhittle
Los Angeles
Reviewed 1 June 2012

They gave me a room that was already occupied twice. Rather than making attempts to rectify the situation immediately, they kept making excuses.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor room - else, the view is very nomial at the least
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Asia
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I had a 24-hour layover and chose this hotel because my Marriott points were expiring. The hotel is fine but I regretted the choice of location. It is far from downtown or Hollywood or Westwood, locations where one would be tempted to go if one had 24 hours. That's not the fault of the hotel. I ended up taking a combination of bus and taxi to get from the hotel to and from Westwood and Santa Monica.

But because the hotel is best for transit passengers, it is designed for transit. Reception staff were cool and professional as opposed to friendly. (Can't blame them if they have people just flowing through.) Bellhops were friendly and helpful.

The room is small but comfortable. Right next to the door is an alcove for luggage. I used that right away as my main suitcase was not meant to be open.Toiletries were of Marriott quality: the chain probably has the best moisturiser.

I ate at the Champion, a sports bar-restaurant. Food was decent. I had breakfast at the Starbucks in the lobby.

What might I do differently next time? Well, taking the taxi twice cost me $100 in all, including tips for the two times I went out by bus ($1 flat fare each time). I debated renting but for a 24-hour visit, it's hard to justify. The total cost of rental (with insurance and GPS) is around $60. Throw in the parking at Marriott ($25 a day) and I get $85. So I save $15 but inherit all the aggro (ok, but also convenience) of a car. The hotel is located across the street from Budget car rental. So I might look for a way to rent without parking.

Alternatively, I could check-in into a place nearer the sightseeing/shopping spots.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Panguin
Reviewed 30 May 2012

First the doors to the rooms are extremely low and small. I am not a tall or large person but I truly noticed it.

Also while very resort like, being so close to the airport it was noisy. For a night before an early flight it was perfect but I would not spend a weeks vacation here.

Room Tip: The JW Steakhouse was very good - service was average but food was great
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
colorado
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Solid offering, nothing to write home about.

5/5 for Service. Was greeted at every turn by friendly and attentive staff.
4/5 for Rate. Reasonably priced place for LAX area.
5/5 for location. Almost walking distance from the Airport (don't do it though).
3/5 Bathroom. Too small. Felt a bit like an airplane bathroom.
1/5 Fees. Killing people on the fees for internet and parking

Didn't eat there this go round. Champions bar is ok (decent beers, food is marginal bar food).

Room Tip: find a room away from the main drag.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business