“Great Location”

Ranked #66 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Columbus, Ohio
“Great Location”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We got to LAX with not plans and we took the Marriot shuttle from the airport to the hotel and got a room for 160.00 with tax and breakfast buffet for 2 people , the room was very clean, people were friendly and the breakfast was very good, we didn't use the pool but we saw from the window and looked very nice, the location is great is 5 min from Lax airport and close to restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager39, General Manager at Los Angeles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. It's great to hear that you had such a pleasant experience with your impromptu visit. Hopefully you can enjoy our pool in the future. I'd love to have you stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I've spent five long weekends here at the LAX Marriott around the annual Doctor Who convention that takes up residence each February. I've been Marriott Rewards member for over a decade, so it seems an easy choice to make between the two details.

I'm usually not there for the hotel itself but for the convention facilities below the lobby. But not having to go outside to get to events is a great convenience, and the conference gets a good rate for the rooms. The free shuttle from the airport means it's an effortless trip and no need to rent a car (unless we're going to Disneyland after the conference, and there's a Hertz rental desk in the hotel lobby for that).

The rooms I've had have been pretty small, and when we needed a rollaway for our ten year old, it pretty much consumed most of the room. The in-room coffee uses disposable filterpack/baskets, so it's hard to bring your own. I don't remember there being liquid creamer in the room but I usually travel with a box of it. The wi-fi gets overwhelmed and Verizon has apparently limited coverage in the rooms.

The lobby restaurants are good, and the breakfast buffet at Latitude 33 is one of the best I've had in a hotel. Omelets to order and a dozen other choices, copious coffee and juice, and a reasonable price for such a repast.

The Starbucks in the lobby misses out on a major sales opportunity... when you have 3200+ people in the hotel for a conference, having two people serving coffee and closing at 5ish isn't great for the attendees or the sales numbers. The hotel started bringing box sandwiches and sodas downstairs for the conference, but options and hours were limited and prices were steep. You're better off going up for a quick snack from the gift shop, which also closes somewhat early. I suspect if they were to set up a satellite coffee shop in the convention area (or outside) they'd keep the bean supply super-fresh all weekend.

The contract ATMs in the lobby also get a workout, and a couple of times over the years one or both have been drained of their green goodies. Once again, an opportunity for the hotel to notice the 3000+ people who may need cash, and maybe warn their ATM supplier in advance as well.

Probably my biggest complaint about the hotel is that there's pretty much no Verizon coverage in the lower level. I understand GSM cell carriers (T-Mobile, AT&T) have better luck, but it would be great if they could do something about Verizon or wifi coverage for those of us who usually have the best cell coverage in the country.

In all honesty I'm considering the inconvenience of the extra walk to stay at a more polished hotel in the neighborhood. With the crowds I'm likely to have to leave the hotel for meals anyway. But for folks who can't handle the "commute" it's still a reasonable option, and I'm sure the hotel is trying their best to handle the influx of Whovians.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Robert N
Thank you very much for your loyalty and your review. I am sending you a private message.
Greater Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a very convenient hotel in LAX and I have stayed there many times.The room decor badly needs refurbishment as the furniture is very dated.The pool is excellent however and the service in restaurants and reception is always good. After a long flight despite the room decor it has a comfortable feel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oldjack
Thank you for continuing to stay with us. Traveling can be tiring, so I'm glad you were comfortable here. I appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again.
La Jolla
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The customer service here is truly the best. When the concierge lounge was closed on the weekend, employee Tammy Jones went out of her way to accommodate my father and me with an absolutely terrific breakfast. Thanks to great service like that (and super comfortable rooms) we will be back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
GeneralManager39, General Manager at Los Angeles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
I'm delighted to hear about what a great stay you had with us. I look forward to having you stay with us again.
Gosford, Australia
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Spent 2 nights at the hotel on the way home. I had read some good reviews and looked forward to my stay. The initial welcoming was very friendly but was let down when I reached my room. I understand it is an airport hotel but the furnishings were very dated. No milk is provided for the tea/coffee facilities so I had to buy it from downstairs. Then I realised I had no fridge (even though I asked for it prior). The staff resolved it very quickly but I'm surprised any hotel these days doesn't include 1 automatically. The bed was fantastic but let down by this crazy combination of pillows which consisted of either tiny feather pillows or these massive cushion sized ones. Unfortunately it didn't lead to the best sleep.

On the positives the sports bar was fantastic and quite reasonable and the pool complex was very nice although unfortunately no change rooms or showers in the vicinity.

I think with a few modern touches this could be a great place with great staff but as it stands it was a little underwhelming.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kgb668
Thank you for staying with us. I will share your comments with the management team.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed here for the night after a 20 day bus trip around the US that left me exhausted and desperate for a comfortable, quality hotel room, and this hotel fit the bill for somewhere to stay as I was flying out late the next morning. Room rate was very competitive compared to competition in this area, service was friendly and respectful. Very convenient having a Starbucks location WITHIN the hotel, and does justice to the sheer size of the place I guess! Rooms are well sized and very comfortable, bathroom is great with awesome products supplied.

Services in the hotel provided are great - The gym is the best I have seen in any hotel I've visited, very extensive amount of equipment, cold towels, warm towels, iced water, fruit - very well done. Did not get a chance to go out to the pool area but looked fantastic, was also refreshing to see a laundry machines for use in a hotel of this caliber, that you weren't forced to use typical overpriced hotel laundry services was great to see.

Shuttle service too and from LAX was prompt and quick, while it is busy in the mornings the wait would only be 15 minutes tops. It runs very frequently and is very efficient.

Will return the next time I need to stay near LAX.

Room Tip: Corridors are very, very long as its a huge hotel - the rooms are soundproofed well so try and get s...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Wow, a 20 day bus trip sounds rough for anyone. I am so glad we were able to give you such a pleasant and comfortable stay. I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy our pool but perhaps next time. Thank you so much for your comments and we certainly hope to see you again.
San Marcos, California
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is a pretty good place. Classy, great beds (at least mine was) and good restaurants.
I was in the Elite club there so there were some extra perks like free internet, a concierge lounge on the 16th floor that had breakfasts and (really good) snacks and drinks in the evening. Alcohol was not free but reasonable (ie $8/drink) but you could pour your own... so on that basis each of my drinks ended up being about $4/normal pour).

If you are not in their elite group, I think they would charge $12.95 per day for internet... I don't like that at all but maybe they will get with the program someday soon. I didn't pay but it still annoys me they just don't provide it.

Their valet service can be very slow. After the first night of trying it, I just self-parked after that. The valet price is like $35/night plus whatever tip you give them. It took them 20 minutes to retrieve my car so if you use them, call down ahead while you are having breakfast and maybe it will be there when you go down.

Otherwise self parking is $26 a night and the walk is reasonably short.

The accommodations are very good. Luxurious really. The place is pretty big so you can end up walking a long way to your room. (I wasn't having to walk my dogs at home so it was a surrogate.)

The daily rate for me with all the taxes and fees was about $156 a night, not counting the car park fees.

But you will enjoy the room. The old fashioned bath tubs are still in the rooms but they have the oval shower curtain frames so it doesn't feel too small.

Bottomline is that I will stay there again..

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to the elevators because you can be in for a long walk.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManager39, General Manager at Los Angeles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
I'm thrilled that you had an excellent stay with us. I also wanted to thank you for being an elite member and am glad you enjoyed the perks that come with being in our Rewards program. We do offer free wifi in the common areas of the location. I'll definitely share your thoughts with the valet team as well. Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you soon.