As a frequent traveler (I'm Hilton Diamond and Marriott Gold - that tells you how many nights I spend in hotel rooms), I freely admit I have high standards. That being said, I think this is the first time I've given a hotel anything less than a 4 out of 5 rating on Trip Advisor.
There were two main reasons I selected this hotel - the proximity to the airport, and the fact I had a Marriott gift card. Actually, the second reason was of higher priority, as I had originally planned at staying at the Hilton one block away. In retrospect, I wish I had stayed at the Hilton.
Things got off to a bad start when I requested (and was told I had received) a room upgrade. However, when I arrived in my room, it was SMALL. I felt especially claustrophobic in the bathroom with very limited space between the toilet, door, and bathtub. And the room certainly was not an upgrade (at least not what I'm used to in Hilton properties.) In fact, I have stayed in much larger rooms in London, and London is known for its small rooms! I thought - okay, if this is the only problem, well, then life's not so bad!
Then I found a rather large fingernail (yes, a fingernail) in my bed, right on top of my sheets, when I went to turn down my bed that evening. Granted, housekeeping was quite apologetic and remade my bed with fresh sheets. But no one said to me, "Sir, how can we make this up to you?" Strike two...
The next morning, I went to the Concierge Lounge promptly at 6 a.m. when they opened. Foolish me assumed the eggs and sausages would be nice and hot when they were first brought out. I guess I shouldn't assume! I wasted an entire plate of food because it was barely warm (bordering on cold). I went back to the food area, stirred up the scrambled eggs myself and dug down deep in the eggs and sausage - finallly finding some hot food. When I mentioned it to the staff in the Concierge Lounge, they didn't seem the least bit concerned. Nor did I see them attempt to rectify the situation or follow up with me. Strike three....
Then, I headed down to the whirlpool (after a lackluster breakfast) around 6:15 a.m. The signage indicated it was supposed to open at 6 a.m., but there was a large sign blocking entrance and the whirlpool wouldn't turn on. So, I put a shirt back on and walked upstairs to the front desk. They did send a maintenance person who was able to get the whirlpool started and removed the large, obtrusive sign. But, shouldn't it have been ready to go promptly at 6 a.m.? And did I mention that the whirlpool was not even hot? Strike four....
And then there were other things....the Concierge Lounge wasn't open much over the weekend, other than for breakfast. Just because I wasn't there on business doesn't diminish my Marriott Rewards Gold status. And there were always kids in the whirlpool. Oh, and there was very little shade around the pool area.
The hotel is a short (10-15 minute) walk from Terminal 1, which is handy if you don't want to wait for a shuttle bus. And the pool area, overall, is quite nice.
Other than those two key features, this hotel has nothing going for it. Next time I'll likely go with my gut and stay at the Hilton.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover spacious rooms, innovative amenities and a sophisticated atmosphere when you book a stay at the luxurious Los Angeles Airport Marriott. Our hotel near LAX offers a complimentary shuttle service to the airport, less than 1.5 miles away. Other nearby points of interest include the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Manhattan Beach, Third Street Promenade and a variety of shopping and dining. The Ocean Express Beach Trolley stops at the hotel every 30 minutes to transport guests to Manhattan Beach. Guest rooms at our LAX hotel feature plush bedding and modern technologies. Business travelers will appreciate high-speed Internet access, spacious work desks and ergonomic chairs. Our Marriott features two popular restaurants in addition to a sports bar and Starbucks(R) coffeehouse. Active travelers will enjoy our resort-style pool and state-of-the-art fitness center. Our hotel near LAX also features 55,000 square feet of event space for conferences, weddings and banquets. Enjoy the utmost in comfort and convenience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, Priceline, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Los Angeles Airport Marriott reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Los Angeles Airport Marriott Hotel Los Angeles
- Los Angeles Marriott
- Marriott Los Angeles Airport