“Underwhelmed and Claustrophobic”

Ranked #66 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Fairfax, Virginia
“Underwhelmed and Claustrophobic”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

As a frequent traveler (I'm Hilton Diamond and Marriott Gold - that tells you how many nights I spend in hotel rooms), I freely admit I have high standards. That being said, I think this is the first time I've given a hotel anything less than a 4 out of 5 rating on Trip Advisor.

There were two main reasons I selected this hotel - the proximity to the airport, and the fact I had a Marriott gift card. Actually, the second reason was of higher priority, as I had originally planned at staying at the Hilton one block away. In retrospect, I wish I had stayed at the Hilton.

Things got off to a bad start when I requested (and was told I had received) a room upgrade. However, when I arrived in my room, it was SMALL. I felt especially claustrophobic in the bathroom with very limited space between the toilet, door, and bathtub. And the room certainly was not an upgrade (at least not what I'm used to in Hilton properties.) In fact, I have stayed in much larger rooms in London, and London is known for its small rooms! I thought - okay, if this is the only problem, well, then life's not so bad!

Then I found a rather large fingernail (yes, a fingernail) in my bed, right on top of my sheets, when I went to turn down my bed that evening. Granted, housekeeping was quite apologetic and remade my bed with fresh sheets. But no one said to me, "Sir, how can we make this up to you?" Strike two...

The next morning, I went to the Concierge Lounge promptly at 6 a.m. when they opened. Foolish me assumed the eggs and sausages would be nice and hot when they were first brought out. I guess I shouldn't assume! I wasted an entire plate of food because it was barely warm (bordering on cold). I went back to the food area, stirred up the scrambled eggs myself and dug down deep in the eggs and sausage - finallly finding some hot food. When I mentioned it to the staff in the Concierge Lounge, they didn't seem the least bit concerned. Nor did I see them attempt to rectify the situation or follow up with me. Strike three....

Then, I headed down to the whirlpool (after a lackluster breakfast) around 6:15 a.m. The signage indicated it was supposed to open at 6 a.m., but there was a large sign blocking entrance and the whirlpool wouldn't turn on. So, I put a shirt back on and walked upstairs to the front desk. They did send a maintenance person who was able to get the whirlpool started and removed the large, obtrusive sign. But, shouldn't it have been ready to go promptly at 6 a.m.? And did I mention that the whirlpool was not even hot? Strike four....

And then there were other things....the Concierge Lounge wasn't open much over the weekend, other than for breakfast. Just because I wasn't there on business doesn't diminish my Marriott Rewards Gold status. And there were always kids in the whirlpool. Oh, and there was very little shade around the pool area.

The hotel is a short (10-15 minute) walk from Terminal 1, which is handy if you don't want to wait for a shuttle bus. And the pool area, overall, is quite nice.

Other than those two key features, this hotel has nothing going for it. Next time I'll likely go with my gut and stay at the Hilton.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you want a small European-style hotel room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank chrisinnova
Steven H, General Manager at Los Angeles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for your detailed review, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay. I'll be sending you a private message. I appreciate your comments.
~ Steven H.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Located near LAX, it has a great location, because its "near" many turist areas: hollywood, beverly hills, venice beach, six flags, universal... You can get to all this places in less than an hour, which is fast for L.A traffic. Parking not included, it's 24$ per day and no wi-fi in rooms. The pool is fantastic and also the fitness room. It has a good restaurant and a starbucks. The rooms and the hotel are in good conditions, but a bit old. Ask for a top floor (cool airport view and more sun).

• Stayed July 2014
Steven H, General Manager at Los Angeles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our location, we're in a great spot for an L.A. home base. Thank you for staying with us.
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here recently on a layover from LAX; very comfortable rooms, top notch pool area and good variety of food offered in several hotel restaurants (including a Starbucks, great for grabbing a coffee to take on the shuttle to catch an early-morning flight). Stayed here several times in the 80's - if anything, it has gotten better over the years. Recommended for a comfortable layover or a convenient base for exploring the Westside/South Bay areas of Los Angeles.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review, I appreciate hearing about your experience with us.
Brisbane Region, Australia
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We arrived at 1am after flight changes and stayed for 3 nights. Whilst the decor is not the latest, the service and customer relationship surpasses most 5 star hotels in the area, having been a guest of most over the years. The hotel lobby is inviting and guests are there accessing the free wifi which is fast and reliable. We used the restaurants and found the service excellent. From the reception staff to housekeeper to the bell boys to concierge, I have nothing but praise, friendly but not over the top. All couldn't do enough to make our stay pleasant. Clean, efficient and has a great atmosphere .... Well done to the management you have your team working well. 1 star off because decor dated.

Room Tip: Can get a view of the runway and planes approaching
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed our service, thank you for your honest review. I hope you'll return to stay with us again.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My family stayed here in April after a holiday in Laguna Beach. We wished we had just stayed here for the whole trip! Much better than expected. Kind staff booked us into adjoining rooms, facing the pool on the ground floor. This hotel is perfect for families travelling together. The pool, hot tub, and pool lounge areas are terrific. The restaurants and staff were great. Access to the airport is simple.

There was a little earthquake while we were there - the staff handled it very well and we felt taken care of. I will be back, and can highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We liked the adjoining rooms that opened right onto the pool deck and sunny lounge area. Perfect!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gillian402
It's great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind words and I'm happy to hear that you will be back.
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 10 days. Pros, the shuttle , ambience, you can leave your luggage even after you check out, we did that as we planned to visit mammoth and come to collect later. , super close to the airport, has a car rental opp, the bar and restaurant near the lobby was great! Their hummus is a must try! Cons, no breakfast included for standard room, there's a Starbucks below though. , small rooms for that price n extras, couldn't sleep one whole night as there were ppl talking in the balcony beside. Not many shops nearby, but the buses from there, go to a shopping center nearby, you can try the Chinese food in the building besides, don't remember the name of it, but it's open only till evening.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JYOTHI SRI L
Thank you for your extended stay with us I really appreciate hearing about your experience. Indeed, the hummus inside of Champions is delicious. I hope you'll stay with us again in the future.
United States
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Good hotel to stay in close proximity to LAX for a reasonable price. Free shuttle service to the airport. Friendly staff. The porter (Hugo) who helped us with the luggage was very welcoming. Oriented us with the room and surroundings. Very polite and cheerful. Other eating places close by in walking distance.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Steven H, General Manager at Los Angeles Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will return.