“A stay marred by an unwelcome wakeup call”
Review of Mikado Hotel

Mikado Hotel
Ranked #146 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Long Beach, CA
“A stay marred by an unwelcome wakeup call”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

First and foremost, a hotel is a place that provides a place to sleep when you are away from home. Unfortunately, my one night at the Mikado Hotel was marred by an unwelcome wakeup call at 6:30am.

While checking in, I was told I would need to move my car from the hotel parking lot by 7am the following morning, as it was to be resurfaced. I told them I would never have made a reservation at a hotel where I would be forced to get up and move my car so early the next day. They offered a wakeup call. I declined, and told them I would park on the street, because I had a late night planned and didn't want to be awakened early. No matter, the call came at 6:30am.

When I checked out later that morning, I noticed that the hotel parking lot had NOT been resurfaced, so there had been no need to call me even if I had chosen to park in their lot! The front desk said they were sorry, but didn't seem overly apologetic.

Other than that, the hotel seemed average and clean. The room was a bit drab, but serviceable. Of course, my lack of sleep may have colored my recollection.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank LongBeachTripper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Fresno, CA
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This place has gotten some pretty gnarly reviews, and was I was very weary of my visit, but it was just around the corner from our friends home, plus it was a holiday weekend, so we took our chances and hoped for the best. Went with husband and two young children for 2 nights, and we were very satisfied with our stay.

Front staff was pleasant, room included every amenity we needed (and more...most major chains won't even provide a fridge), and they have a good continental breakfast. Other major hotels offer microwaved "eggs" and "potatoes," and here the food is actually cooked by someone. They had basic continental finds and it worked for us.

We took advantage of dinner at the restaurant too (given a 10% off coupon) and that was OK. Sushi rolls were small as was the filet minon, but service was good.

Bathroom was a bit small, but I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank latinqt2
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

The court yard was pretty and the room clean but I will say the room smelled "stale". It was fine for an overnight stay but I would pick somewhere else for a longer stay. It's a good location if you need to be in the valley. The hotel is nice just nothing special.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank TravelingGman13
Pismo Beach, California
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed here because it was the chosen hotel for a nearby writing conference at Los Angeles Valley College and there was a faculty party at the Mikado restaurant, which I assumed might result in drinking and the need for staying off the roads.
After reading several bad reviews on TripAdvisor, I was a bit concerned but decided to go for it anyway. Really glad I did--my wife and I both enjoyed it.
Okay, the breakfast is a bit plain but we were happy to have complimentary eggs, sausage and potatoes on top of other choices like breakfast rolls, fruit and cereal.
The Japanese sushi restaurant was pretty good, could be a lot better though the ambiance was quite nice as was the front entry room and Japanese style of the hotel in general.
The entire staff was pleasant and the rooms were clean and quite. There was a balcony on our 2nd floor room with a large sitting space overlooking a Japanese style garden. The noise from the nearby road was not noticeable. We slept very well both nights with the exception of one guest's car alarm, but the hotel was not at fault for that of course.
The bathroom did have an interesting design with the toilet being the first object in the room that I once bumped into upon entering until I became familiar with it. Also the sink handles turned the opposite way of normal for opening and closing, but really not a big deal.
If I come back to this conference again and the party is at the same restaurant, I will definitely return to this hotel. I liked it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank JasonMatthews67
Oceanside CA
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This hotel was very clean and comfortable. The only drawback was some freeway and airplane noise (burbank airport?) The front desk staff was friendly and courteous. The Mikado resturant was excellent.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room on the opposite side from the freeway.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank wantquality
san diego california
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights for a wedding and the Mikaydo was recommended as the closest motel (no it's really not a hotel) We are often fairly forgiving when it comes to reviews, and I really wanted to give a positive review, but can't and here's why:

1. The main issue was the security of the rooms, the key system was very unreliable. These are the standard magnetic sliding cards. We needed to have them reprogrammed twice, one never worked the other was sporadic. We were told that we got the keys too close to our iphones - I didn't buy this lame excuse, but whatever. We then found that others staying for the wedding had the exact same issues, needing to have new keys issued. This all culminated with our next door neighbors not being able to get into their room at 11pm on a Saturday night with the same key issues (and these are doors to the outside - so very dark and narrow walkways) At 7am a maintenance man was hammering at the lock mechanism FOR OVER AN HOUR, ultimately sounded like a sledge hammer and was literally shaking our walls and windows. Unacceptable and I am very suspicious of the safety in the rooms.

2. The carpet was filthy. So filthy that our feet (and we didn't walk around for hours, but more like 15 mins barefoot) left black, and I do mean black, greasy footprints in the tub when we took showers. Just gross.

3. Need to mention a dirty, big, yellow spotted towel, folded up and meant to be used. Yuck.

4. And just for comic relief, the bottle opener on the back of the bathroom door, was installed upside down and you would've had to have turned your bottle upside down to open...lol!

All that said, I think this place has potential to be more than it is. The space is decent, nice pool/hot tub, free wifi, very comfortable, clean beds, nice flat screens, refrigerators and coffee supplies. Breakfast is mediocre and could be improved with just a few more extras (like yogurt, cream cheese, a few more fruit choices.)

Possibly this is due to the transition from Best Western, and will improve over time. I would not recommend it right now, but would check in on the latest reviews to see if things are getting better or worse.

Room Tip: we were in room #136 by the pool
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank steamco

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Beaverton, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This was about our 5th time at the Mikado, and will definately be our last. We had stayed here when it was a best western, and now it is no longer a best western,. Our rooms were beastly hot , as was our sons whose room was 4 doors down. Our air conditioner at best was keeping the room at 85-90 degrees. When I complained at the front desk they had an excuse of the sun makes the room hot, and it should cool down about 8 Pm. I found the front desk had an excuse for everything. We were on the second floor, and the ice machine was on the first floor. Several nights the light over the tiled staircase was out, and it was so dark it was like walking down the stairs completely blind. When I complained at the front desk, and pointed out that this was huge liability risk, the persons excuse was that she would have maintenance look into it in the morning. Later on I noticed the light was on, so it was just a timer, that had not been adjusted for the shorter daylight hours. How hard is that to figure out? it was this way all week, never adjusted. The breakfast was mediocre, and identical every day. How hard is it to change out the protein, and not have sausage every day? When I went to take a cup of coffee back to my room, the wait staff ran after me like I was a thief, telling my that I could not have the ceramic cup. I feel that paper cups change the taste of the coffee, and therefore do not like them, so am used to leaving the cup for the maid to return., But no, I was accused of stealing! Too much! This place is close to my sons house, but there are other hotels we will try next time, never again this one!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Eileen D
ReuelaS, General Manager at Mikado Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
On behalf of our entire team, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had at our property. We always aim to have our guests a pleasant stay and great customer service. We did bring the attention to our maintenance department regarding the air conditioner as well as the lights at the stairways and the timer has been set at an earlier time. As for the server at the restaurant, we have coached her on how to approach this kind of situation next time. Will use the feedback you gave regarding the variety of the breakfast being served. We also credited 2 nights stay back to your credit card account. Thank you for the feedback you gave us, this will help us how to improve our service in the future and hope you'll consider staying with us again.