“Just ok”

The Garland
Ranked #14 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 November 2012 via mobile

The grounds of the place is just wonderful! Can't say a bad thing about it. The wait staff and cleaners where wonderful.
The room was ok, how ever there was rust around the plug hole. A hole in the bathroom wall that looked like it was was just patched up, tiles crack in the bathroom and no main lights in the bedroom just lamps though out the room. There is a $250 fine if you smoke on the balcony even if you clean up the ash and remove your butts. The people in the desk where ok but some of the night staff are a bit rude.
The resterant and bar staff where amazing! They went over and above there line of work for me and my partner.
Free shuttle bus to the metro station and to uni studios that leaves every hour. Free wi fi on grounds.
Don't book this place thinking that it is in walking distance to main places. Eg the walk of fame. How ever if you take the free shuttle to the metro and go one stop it's all there. There are a few shops near by but it's only a local supermarket and a Starbucks. Also got charged using a long distance phone card that didn't even connect.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Lucy769

Reviewed 31 October 2012

My family stayed here for 2 nights I wished it was for longer. Beautiful grounds, lovely and clean rooms, very helpful staff. The food in the restaurant was delicious. If you are looking for a great place to stay, then this is it! Definitely would stay here again and recommend it to other people.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank 540Kellyc
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Not a typical Holiday Inn, the Beverly Garland offers great value for money. I paid for a pool view and had a lovely view.

Good points:
Clean
Nice rooms
Attractive pool and jacuzzi area
Decent bar and restaurant (bar food excellent)
Close to Universal with free shuttle

I really can't think of any bad points.

Couple of tips - taxis in LA are super expensive, consider hiring a car. From the airport, catch a shuttle (can be caught outside terminals, we used Super Shuttle) as the airport is a reasonable distance (considering taxi cost) and the traffic is dreadful.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tubbs_1981
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Much high praises for a staff that delivers a great promise of great hospitality service. Some Aussies are a little paranoid and are unequipped with the knowledge of LA. Rest assured I have known LA for over thirty over years and Beverly Garland is very safe, secure, and very relaxing to stay. I have had many great experiences at the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn. However, I wanted to express this to Management in person as I enjoyed their property so much that I walked in to provide a compliment and the Manager behind his desk in the office seem unenthusiastic with my compliments. Therefore, I took it here. The pool is clean and welcoming, the Bar Lounge has beautiful decor. The staff exceptionally great. The rooms are clean. Even though this holiday Inn has yet to refresh their rooms I have come to love the style very much and definitely feels homey. I ate at Tula's a few months ago, and I found the chef's food was abysmal and overpriced. I gave his menu many chances and decided not to waste my money and never ate there again and unfortunately when I stay there I want to stay and eat on property and earn PC Points rather than go somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Miss B
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We stayed here for one night so we wouldnt have to drive home 2 hours away. We went to Universal Studios Halloween Horror nights. The hotel is nice. The staff was really friendly. Upon check in we received 2 free drink coupons for their restaurant on the hotel grounds,which we took advantage right away. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda M
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I had a great experience staying at the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn. I stayed for 6 nights and look forward to planning another trip here.

I got to the hotel around noon on the first day. Andrea checked me in and let me know that the room was ready and I could go ahead and sign in. She showed me what building I was in and where I could park.

I dont walk great and use a cane. while I was walking towards the entrance with all my stuff. Andrea came out and found me. She carried most of my stuff up to my room wtih me, and wouldn't take any money as a tip. I can't stress enough how wonderful and sweet she was all week long.

They have a great shuttle that picks up every 30-60 minutes to tun people back and forth to Universal Studios and City Walk. I used the shuttle every day for a week. One of the drivers name is Alex, he was awesome!!! He helped me on and off, grabbed bags for me. And was nice enough to snap a few photo's of me when I asked.

I read previous reviews saying to watch out if you get a room facing the freeway. I was on the 6th floor facing the freeway and didn't notice much sound at all. There are 2 sets of sliding glass doors maybe there used to only be 1.

I spent a little time at the restraunt and bar and they were staffed with really nice people as well. There was one nice server that stood out to me, I think her name is Kendall. The prices were not that bad for the area, and the food and drinks were good.

If I I had to find one thing that wasn't top notch, it was that I could hear the people next to me a few times if they were loud or the TV was turned up.

A big thank you to Andrea, Alex and the rest of the crew. I hope to see all of you again soon

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Bill C
Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

We booked a family suite after reading reviews on trip adviser. I wish we had gone somewhere else. On their website it stated the family suite had a game console in their room. That it did but you had to pay for every game and they were timed. When I asked why it didn't state you had to pay the staff member just said oh sorry I'll let our marketing team know. You also had to pay to use the room safe, our freezer was iced over which meant we couldn't use it, the king size bed mattress was almost on its death bed and was so saggy! For almost $300 a night what we're we paying for? The managers never smiled or said hello. The cleaners were always nice and acknowledged you and the staff at tulas were nice especially Sonia, Gabriella and Christopher. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone and all the people I spoke to felt the same. Such a waste of money!

• Stayed: October 2012