“Excellent from start to finish”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Garland

The Garland
Ranked #10 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Perth, Australia
“Excellent from start to finish”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We weren' expecting too much from this hotel but from the minute we arrived we were treated like valued guests. We arrived at 9:00am and were allowed access to our room after 10 minutes with help from the wonderful Kiley at the front desk. She was an absolute pleasure to deal with throughout the entire stay, helping us with recommendations with attractions and restaurants to arranging our hire car for us and just generally chatting to us whenever we walked past. I'm sure they would be lost without her. We were told the upgrades to the hotel would be noisy, but we heard nothing, our rooms was clean, modern and comfortable, great bed, great tv service and we loved the boutique type charm of the hotel and enjoyed the pool, spa and laundry service. The restraunt had great food at a reasonable price and the shuttle to and from Universal was always on time and made the whole stay easy. There wasn't anything i could pick the hotel on, it was the perfect way to start our holiday in the US… Thankyou very much Kiley and everyone at the Garland...

Room Tip: Hotel has been upgraded so all rooms are nice Arrange a hire car and get picked up from the hotel a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RhysCollins
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Rhys

We thank you for your great review and feedback about the hotel and our services. We are thrilled to read that we exceeded your expectations and that Kiley went above and beyond to make your stay more memorable. I'll make sure Kiley gets your lovely comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back when visiting LA. Safe travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Our 3 night stay was great,the room and service superb.The $19 parking charge I feel is steep per night and the only parking charge I had throughout my 9 state drive and 10 hotels.Great to see the upgrades there,but beware if you want a lie in work starts at 8.30.The free trolley bus is a good addition for Universal,we used it the once.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Woodies748
Woodies 748

Thank you for your review. We are glad to read you liked your room and enjoyed our Trolley to Universal Studios. Unfortunately parking in LA is expensive anywhere you go, we put effort into keeping the rate still lower than our competitors. We will pass your compliments to our staff and look forward to welcoming you back.
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed here two nights during the week. There were several families with children. When I checked in I was given a room on the ground floor of a building far from the lobby and pool area. While it was fine for me traveling alone, I would have been inconvenienced if my children were with me. The pool was beautiful both day and night. The hot tub was small but clean. There were restrooms in the pool area so you could change and use the facilities there without running back to the room. The room was small but well appointed. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom clean. My only complaint was the patio area outside the sliding door was not well maintained. The housekeeping was overly friendly and went out of their way to make sure I had everything. They even filled my ice bucket when I went for drinks. The only negative thing I can say was about the desk staff. They weren't overly friendly. This was surprising as the door guy and bellman were both extremely friendly and helpful. I had to check out early in the morning to catch a flight and I barely got either of the desk people to acknowledge me after ten minutes of waiting for someone to come to the desk.

Room Tip: Ask to be close to the pool and lobby if you are traveling with small children or large amounts of l...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Petitemomof2

Thank you for taking the time to reviewing our hotel. It is great to know you found our room comfortable and well appointed. We will pass your compliments to our housekeeping and bell staff and your concerns to the other departments.
We look forward to welcoming you back!
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Great location and reasonable price compared to other LA area options. Wooded and serene, this gem even had a small balcony to enjoy an evening glass of wine. LOVED the restaurant on the property, Warren's Blackboard - enjoyed dining al fresco for a breakfast, lunch and a couple of evening appetizers and desserts with wine.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a "modern" King for just $15 a night and it was well worth it, modern walk...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gayla S
Gayla S.

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad to read you enjoyed your room and Warren’s Blackboard.
We hope to see you back in the near future so you can experience our new product “The Garland” next August.
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've been a regular at the Beverly Garland, staying two or three times a year over the last decade. I've seen a tremendous change in the hotel over the last few years.

First, I need to say that the very best thing about the BG is the quality of the staff. With the exception of the bartenders (who are either overworked or just not that into us), everyone -- from building maintenance and housekeeping to front desk and restaurant staff are warm, friendly, attentive and supportive. I always feel VERY welcome and appreciated at the BG, and my needs are nearly fully met (except, as I said, the lack of attentive service in the bar.

Here's the BIG news: the lunch and dinner food at the restaurant (currently "Warren's Blackboard" and soon to be "The Front Porch") have improved dramatically over the last few years. What was acceptable hotel restaurant food has become first-class, fresh-made and inventive upscale fare at reasonably decent prices. In the past, we hit the restaurant for breakfast but found other options for lunch and dinner. Not this trip. We ate ALL of our meals at the hotel because everything was unbelievably well-prepared, beautifully presented and very tasty.

Management continues to make improvements to the buildings and grounds; the lobby is currently under renovation and the restaurant and bar will expand sometime later this year. The change at BG compared to what it was only five years ago is breathtaking.

The guest rooms are being renovated as well, and we were lucky enough to snag a renovated room for this most recent visit. The furniture and decor has been updated, and the bathroom was totally reconfigured and upgraded. New balcony doors have been installed that almost completely block out freeway noise. Generally speaking, it's good. I hesitate in saying "great" for a few little, but annoying, things. First, there's no comfortable chair in the room. There's plenty of room for a club chair or arm chair, but we have only a desk chair and one small, padded, arm-less chair. Second, the hotel invested a ton of money on upgrading the room, but we slept on an old, lumpy mattress. No new mattresses? Third, the lighting in the bathroom is quite modern, but the back-lit mirror leaves a dead/dark space right over the sink. I couldn't see myself shave or wash my face. I get the design, but the functionality is lacking.

Yes, the place is under reconstruction right now which means there's noise during the day, but hotels cannot shut down for renovation and upgrades.

The BG is evolving into a wonderful, well-staffed boutique hotel offering great food and pleasant environment. My last, lingering fear? The room rates have been increasing steadily as the renovations have been made. From what I saw in checking availability for early fall 2014, the BG's rates are comparable to, if not higher than, some of the larger chain hotels in the area. The BG may price the hotel out of my range. We'll see.

Room Tip: Ask for the Portola building overlooking the patio and the pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
ontheroadtoomuch

We thank you for your detailed review and for taking the time to tell us your experience.
We'll be sharing your great feedback with our teams and ownership. Thank you for your loyalty and we hope you keep coming back to experience "The Garland" early this summer.
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

So we stayed at The Beverly Garland in 2012 and loved it. We couldn't fault it, felt it was one of the best hotel experiences we'd had and and so didn't even consider looking anywhere else when we booked in November 2013 for May 2014.

I emailed the hotel a week or so before our arrival for some information re check out times and was told in passing that there was some construction at the minute but it sounded fairly minimal (lobby area) and our travel agent hadn't informed us so we didn't think too much of it.

When we arrived we made our way to the temporary lobby where we told about the construction and that it would be minimal disruption especially as we had just upgraded our room at a cost of $30 a night plus tax.

However, before long we realised it would be slightly more disruptive than we imagined. We could hear the construction work from our room during daytime hours and the tennis courts that we used extensively on our last visit were out of use because of the refurbishment.

We visited the pool area in the next few days but the pool bar was closed, one side of the pool area was boarded up and workmen were coming and going quite loudly in the patio area near the reception/pool area. Also most of the time we were there there was an incredibly loud drilling noise which meant that sitting by the pool was possible but not at all relaxing. Therefore after a couple of days we concluded that the pool wasn't worth using either.

Also it may just be bad timing but the hotel was filled with business conventions so rather than the family atmosphere that the hotel seemed to have on our last visit it seemed this time to be more like being on holiday at a building site/business meeting this time round with people discussing work and colleague issues loudly which makes for an odd atmosphere if you're on holiday trying to get away from these types of conversations!

The parking charge had also risen to $19 a night since becoming its own brand which seemed a little steep especially as now they don't offer a reduced rate for long stays. Needless to say this becomes quite expensive quite quickly.

I will say that the staff were as friendly and efficient as always though and I really can't fault them at all.

The room we upgraded to was nice but overall we felt that the price we had paid even without the upgrade was far too much this year considering the amount of construction work that was going on at the hotel and considering that we couldn't use the tennis courts or the pool area most of the time.

Overall we felt quite disappointed that we weren't made aware of the extent of the construction work or offered a reduced rate and felt the parking is too expensive for a long stay.

And so as much as we loved the hotel last time (and we loved it a lot) sadly it's left us feeling a little let down and so we may look elsewhere next time.

All that being said if you're looking for a clean, comfortable, friendly choice (near Universal) and you're happy with the price you've paid and you'll be about and about most of the day whilst this construction work is going on you'll be absolutely fine! I'm still confident this can be a lovely hotel again we just had such a great stay last time that we felt quite let down this time round!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from traffic and construction noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fightingfit
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Fightingfit

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! I apologize the construction disrupted your trip this time – but I am glad you were able to experience our quiet hotel in the past. We will be finished with our renovations before the end of the summer and would love for you to come back and experience the new product in the same peaceful, family –oriented atmosphere you experienced before. We look forward to welcoming you back!
sydney
Reviewed 12 May 2014

A very over rated hotel very noisy not only due to renovation but one main freeway right next to the building.Also we had to pay $19.00 a night to park the car. The restaurant is very expensive.i will not be staying here again. On the plus side the hotel is in a good location .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Georgina R

Thank you for the review. I apologize you found our parking and restaurant to be expensive. I’m happy to hear you can appreciate our ideal location! Our renovations will be complete soon this summer – I hope you will come back to experience the final product! Safe travels!