“PERFECT HOTEL” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland, Ohio
“PERFECT HOTEL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was our first trip to the LA area and booked The Beverly Garland based on other reviews. Let me tell you that this hotel was absolutely perfect. The hotel has been completely remodeled , rooms,lobby,everything. The staff is second to none our stay was fantastic. The heated outdoor pool with fire place and hot tub was a great place to spend the day. At night the staff will roll out a huge screen and movie night would begin. lots of fun for all.
If you are looking for a hotel that is close to everything in LA,than look no further, every thing that you will want to do is 20 minutes or less. The restaurant was great went to the buffet breakfast very good. They offer a free shuttle service to and from Universal and the Citywalk every 1/2 hour.
A week was not enough time so you can bet that when we return we will be staying at The Beverly Garland

1 Thank Steve F
Steve F

Thanks for the great review! It’s lovely to hear such positive comments about our staff – we will be sure to relay your review to them. I’m glad that you took advantage of our nightly Dive-In Movies. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
Montclair, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

To anyone looking to stay at the hotel soon IT IS UNDER MASSIVE RENOVATIONS. I stayed for three nights last week and it was a process. Upon arrival we were placed in a ground floor room that was dark and desperately in need of renovation. I was traveling with two other girls all in our early 20s so being on the ground floor with a sliding glass door is a safety concern and we asked to be moved immediately. The hotel said nothing was available in as we were in a two queen bed room but we paid the upgrade to be moved to a king on a higher floor.

This room was also in disrepair and we were very disappointed. Both of the rooms are in the Portolla building. We asked to be moved the the El Dorado building where we were originally supposed to be placed but could not be moved until the next day.

The next day we were promptly moved to a renovated, two queen room in the El Dorado building and it was beautiful. Unfortunately the lobby, pool bar and sauna were all still being renovated.

This hotel is going to be beautiful and top of the line once construction is finished but I would avoid staying here until its done.

Room Tip: Stay in the El Dorado building
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Samantha C
Samantha C

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We greatly appreciate your feedback and do apologize that the renovations affected your stay. I am glad we were able to move your room and allow you to experience a newly renovated room. You will have to come back soon as our lobby and pool are completed with renovations!
indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 night from 12 - 14 June.

The main reason, we stayed at this hotel hotel because it's close to Universal Studio and they have a free shuttle. Other than that, the hotel location it's not really good if you don' t have a car.The nearest grocery store or convenience store is 20 minutes by walking.

When I check in, the front desk told me that there would be no hot water during our stay from 11 am - 4 pm, but as the matter of fact, there was no water supply at all in my room during that hour, so during that period of time I can not even flush the toilet! :( what a bad day .....

The service at this hotel is not a warm or welcoming service. The manager never smiled or say hello. Well,... Give a warm smile to hotel guest will not hurt at all!

I don't know if I will choose this hotel again or not.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Beatrice390:

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am disappointed to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations and that our staff was not warm and welcoming as they always are.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you had during your stay. We hope you give us another chance to make it right for you so you can have a different stay. Warm wishes!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I truly wanted to write a glowing, five star, review of this property. It's lovely. The newly renovated rooms are wonderfully appointed. The grounds are very pretty and well maintained. Esthetically, it's perfect.

There is construction going on and we understand it cannot be avoided. In order to have a lovely, remodeled room, you have to have some construction from time to time. But somehow we pulled the lucky straw of having it directly outside our room door - with crews "prepping" the work site as early as 8:00am. When I checked in, the reception person even indicated that the work, although in our building, wouldn't be close to our rooms. Guess that was wrong.

The pool area is beautiful. But unfortunately, even though the hotel has a sophisticated air, they are very much catering to the under 12 crowd. The latest Disney movies shown at sunset, pool games and toys, and screaming children running around you as you try to get a drink from the poolside bar. Honestly, if I had kids, I'd probably be tickled. The worst part is ... the ONLY place you can escape the rug rats is the jacuzzi (which has a rule of no guest under 14 allowed), but somehow.. every time I look out my window or pass by the hot tub - there are a collective of nine year olds kicking back in the bubbles. I asked the staff several times and got a giggle and a shoulder shrug "we'll definitely mention it to our staff and ask them to say something." Right.

Its obvious that they don't want to uphold the rule. And even more obvious that they want to cater to obnoxious parents who obviously don't think that rule applies to "their kid".

I asked if there was any space on the grounds where adults might be able to chill outside without the elementary school crowd... but due to their renovations it seems any other "lounge" areas that might be more adult (a large courtyard area that in the past had comfy sofas and mood lighting) are not yet complete. I'd highly suggest that during the summer months, they consider elongating their hours at the pool (10-11:30pm: adults only, for example). I was waiting for the film to end last night to catch a last gasp of time by the hot tub and beautiful fireplace, but by the time the movie ended, the pool area was closed.

I'm not "anti-kid" don't get me wrong (I have two older teens traveling with me) - but a hotel of this quality and sophistication should do something to make its adult guests feel as welcome as their families. There is so much RIGHT about The Beverly Garland - but I would be less likely to return in the the future due to the failure to provide a relaxing atmosphere for grown-ups.

The good... no resort fee. A balancing bad... $19 to park your car!

Another good... no fee for internet. And the bad... Universal Tickets available in the lobby are the same price as you can buy at the gate. Not even a $5 discount??

More good... activities planned daily, like yoga and urban walks. Laundry on-site. A nice restaurant and lounge, although a bit over-priced for the Holiday Inn. A great, free trolley service to and from Universal Studios/City Walk and the subway. And, really wonderful smelling toiletries.

I would absolutely return - if there were some considerations made for adults traveling without small children.

But if you have small children and are traveling with them - you'll love it.

5 Thank LoriDoRo
LoriDoRo

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We greatly appreciate your detailed feedback. I do apologize that you found our hotel grounds to be more accommodating to children than to adults. Additionally, we are sorry to hear that you were disrupted by our renovations going on at the time. We hope to welcome you back when our renovations are complete and we are “The Garland”!
City of Greater Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel On 2 occasions. And heading back there for our third time in February 2015. We really love this hotel the staff are very friendly .rooms are nice & clean ,
Love the fact they have a laundry which is great.
Love the heated pool .
Love the restaurant for meals .
Very close to metro & universal studio
I'm very excited about returning to the Beverly Garland in February

Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Pam R
Pam R

Thanks for the review! We are so happy to hear that you appreciate our lovely staff – we will be sure to pass along your kind words. It’s great that you were able to take advantage of our pool, restaurant, and complimentary Trolley to Universal Studios. We look forward to welcoming you back next February!
TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I booked the KidSuites in January because this suite would fill our families needs. The very day we showed up to check in (June) they said our suite was not available. Why then didn't they notify me before, I have no idea. I had 2 choices - stay in a room with a King bed and sofa bed or upgrade to the producer's suite for a $70 upgrade fee. They would also throw in a free breakfast and comp the parking. I took it, but warily thinking that it should've been at no extra charge.

Okay, now to the suite. Very nice, comfortable mattresses however it's not my idea of a vacation to worry about setting up sofa beds and roll-away and it being in the way the whole time we were there. The breakfast buffet was delicious albeit very expensive (22 per adult and 18 for kids) and probably would not have eaten there if we had paid. The pool side food cart was tasty too, but watch out, drinks are 8 bucks and beer is 6. After reviewing my bill at home, we were OVERCHARGED by 12 bucks - ugh!!

Here is the kicker, a few days after we got home, we received a message on our answering machine that the TV was broken in our room and that we would be charged!! What?!! We are the kind of family that takes care of a room as if it were our own, we tip housekeeping and before we leave, we pick up after ourselves. After being completely livid for 10 minutes and trying to call to correct this, we find out that the people that stayed there after we did were to blame! Shouldn't you check and research thoroughly before completely freaking out your previous guests?

If you decide to stay here, it is nice hotel and people are friendly however be careful with overcharges and double check your bill before you leave, confirm your reservations SEVERAL times before your visit, and walk your room with a manager before you leave so you won't be accused of things you didn't do.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank txmom09
Txmom09

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us! I do apologize for the miscommunication and bumps you ran into along the road. We greatly appreciate your detailed feedback and have addressed this with the departments involved. We hope to welcome you back soon!
PRETORIA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I expected a lot more from this hotel after checking it out but the pictures and reality were very different. And then although my travel agent advised that she booked me a luxury room, when I checked in the first question was if I wanted to upgrade at a cost of 15 dollars a night as my room had no fridge and was not a luxury room, which I was not prepared to do.Then there was a problem with breakfast which was sorted out. The room was clean and staff friendly so ultimately it was not too bad.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank MBALIM
Mbalim:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that it wasn't what you expected. All our renovated rooms do have a fridge and a safe now and they really look amazing. We hope you can try us again when we become "The Garland".