“Charming hotel”

The Garland
Ranked #14 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Lovely hotel with an old hollywood glamour feel to it. Nice pool, although small - liked the idea of the film screenings they do there. We were upgraded to a suite which was enormous and really lovely.
I had the best breakfast of my life here - cinnamon bun french toast - it was to die for!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Afallow:

Thank for taking the time to review the hotel and for your lovely comments. We are glad that you enjoyed our spacious suite and our breakfast buffet. You are right, cinnamon bun French toast is delicious. Looking forward to having you back during your next vacations.

There are newer reviews for The Garland

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I love the feel of this hotel, classic late 60's Hollywood. It is right across the hills from Hollywood, near the studios and walking distance to shops and dining in Studio City. I stay here for business because it is a little oasis from the noise of LA but still close enough for me to get in the city or out to the valley with little trouble. Wi-Fi is free and the hotel bar has a great happy hour.

During my most recent stay the hotel was completing a renovation of their rooms. It was not disruptive aside from some additional walking to get to my room but I wish there would have been a disclaimer before I booked my reservation. Please be aware and ask management for an update before booking your room.

The pool is lovely and they really do a great job with the service. While I was out there for a couple of hours I was offered an Ice Pop and cold water by an attentive pool boy. Definitely makes you feel special. Warren's Blackboard is also a nice place for dinner and drinks if you don't feel like leaving the property.

There is a charge for parking and you really do need a car to get around if you choose to stay in this part of town but I recommend it. What would be time in LA without getting a car and experiencing the traffic first hand!

Room Tip: I like the main building, directly behind the pool. Ask for a room facing Vineland.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

SalsaPicante78

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We are thrilled to read that you had a wonderful time with us and that you enjoyed our services and facilities. Looking forward to having you back when visiting LA!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

If you're driving to LA, this hotel is just off the freeway and very easy to access, meaning you don't have to drive through the centre of town.
The hotel was undergoing building work while we stayed but apart from reduced access to our room block, we weren't inconvenienced. We stayed in one of their newly renovated rooms which was very clean, very modern and very comfortable! When we arrived, our air conditioning unit wasn't working but they sent a friendly maintenance guy up within 10 minutes of calling reception and he fixed it without a problem. The unit was unfortunately quite noisy (I don't think that had been upgraded with the room refit) but frankly, a bit of noise was better than sweltering in the 35 degree heat! We always travel with foam earplugs so we just wore those at night which totally blocked out the air con noise.
Very good restaurant and bar on site and the breakfast choices are brilliant. There is a regular shuttle bus which takes you straight to Universal Studios and back throughout the day. If you want to go to the walk of fame/Chinese theatre, you can take the shuttle bus to the Metro station then hop on the train directly to this area. We got a cab back from there to the hotel and it was approximately $20.
All in all, a good base from which to explore LA.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Jo W

We are thrilled you were able to experience one of our brand new guest rooms! I’m so sorry to hear your air conditioning was not working, but glad to hear it was fixed by a friendly employee. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 8 nights. The best thing about this hotel are the staff. They were very friendly and helped with anything we needed. Warren's Blackboard was a lovely restaurant, very nice food.
$19 a night for parking is ridiculous, it should be made free to guests. There was a used plaster under our bed. Air con was loud.
Every time someone in another room flushed the toilet the noise travelled through ours quite loudly. We even heard someone urinate!
The pool was lovely, although the shower by it just dripped water, was cold and had a pair of dirty knickers hanging on the towel rail.
They play films every night by the pool which we were looking forward to, but all they played were kids movies. It would have been nice for at least one night they had a film for adults. I don't mean an 18 certificate but at least something that wasn't a cartoon!
The only thing that would bring us back are the staff.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 223katekate

223 KateKate

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! I’m happy to hear you have such positive feedback on our staff – I will be sure to pass on your kind words. I do apologize that you were disrupted by noise from other rooms. We hope you will come back and visit us soon once we are “The Garland”!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My partner and I along with with his parents stayed at The Beverly garland for 3 nights. We had a car and found it was a great location out of the hype of Hollywood, and close to Universal Studios and access to the Freeways. My in-laws however did not have a car, and they had issues being picked up for tours as this was outside the pick up area for the companies.
The room was a bit pricey for what we got, but LA/Hollywood hotels were all highly priced in our opinion. We were offered an upgrade for and extra $30 per night, but we declined due to already paying what we considered was a high rate. The room was fine. Nothing extraordinary but comfortable and clean. My in-laws arrived the day after us, and when they arrived at the hotel early the staff were accommodating and gave them a room, however when we dropped the bags off the room had not been cleaned. We stored their luggage and they showered in our room. They staff were apologetic but no alternative arrangements or discounts were offered for the mix up.
The pool area is wonderful. Good gym. On the night we arrived they offered a food truck style menu in the pool area and a kids movie. Great little extras.
Overall we were happy with the Hotel. Unsure if we would stay again, it would depend on the price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Veggie81:

Thanks for the response! We greatly appreciate the feedback you have given us in this review. I do apologize that your room was not cleaned upon check-in – but I am happy to hear that you had a great experience with our staff throughout your stay. We hope to welcome you back next time you are in the area!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is one of my go to hotels when I travel to Los angles on business because it's removed from the noise of the city but still extremely easy to get to all my meetings. I stay in the back portola building which yes is dated but still comfortable, the rooms are no nonsense without any bells or whistles but if all you need is a quiet place to sleep and an easy on/off to get around la you should check this place out. The restaurant in the morning has a nice selection for breakfast and is a nice way to start the day. That said, I would stay more often if they updated the rooms. If you are traveling on business I would avoid this hotel in the summer or major vacation times as it's a popular spot for family's going to universal

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank emo114

Emo114

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast at Warren’s Blackboard! It is great to hear that the location is convenient for you. We hope you return soon to experience a newly renovated room!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stay here with my husband, son and daughter on the last part of our holiday. Great location for visiting universal studios with the free shuttle bus to and from the hotel. We stayed in the Portola building and our room was comfortable and clean. Every member of staff from house keeping to front desk to pool and bar staff were very helpful, courteous at all times excellent service from everyone could not fault this hotel and would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good all round place to stay with exceptionally good staff. Thanks to all at The Beverly Garland for making our stay so pleasant we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Caroline C

Caroline C

Thank you for such a great review! We are happy to hear that you had such a great experience with us. It is fantastic that you enjoyed all of our staff – we will be sure to pass on your kind words to them. We look forward to welcoming you back!