“a few hitches but overall pretty good”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Garland

The Garland
Ranked #10 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
MsbeaMsbea
“a few hitches but overall pretty good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We visited Hollywood with our kids for the very first time and when we arrived unfortunately, a pretty cool welcome. At first one of the reception staff was pretty rude and nonchalant, which really brought the tone of it down. After a bit of a room issue, Andrea sorted it all out and our new room was wonderful. the room had a balcony and was pretty spacious. The pool is the jewel - having a bar that was operated everyday, and movies at night for the kids poolside, and kids activities run by Kiley, the pool really drew in people and it had a resort feel to it. Just lovely. Nice to sit there and relax while the kids were watching a movie and have a cocktail. the restaurant and the staff were awesome and warm and the food was spot on. as they were in the middle of refurbishment, there was a little disruption but all in all pretty good. On site laundry was good for families. Free shuttle to the metro and universal made things pretty good.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MsbeaMsbea
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Msbea:

Thanks for reviewing the hotel and for your lovely comments. I am sorry that the check in process wasn't smooth but glad that Andrea was able to recover from it.
We'll share your feedback with our team. We look forward to having you back so you can experience our new product, "The Garland".

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

The Worst experience I've ever had at a hotel. Their fire alarm was broken and started going off at 1am.It was EXTREMELY LOUD. It continued to go on and off for 3 hours. I didn't get to sleep until 4:30am. I spoke to the manager, Andrea the next day and asked for a refund or at least at discount and they would not do anything! Unbelievable! She said she spoke to the Director of Rooms or something like that and he said all we could do is offer me a free breakfast! I paid $330/night for this room - are you kidding me? I'm shocked, really. Not only that, but Andrea kept lying to me and giving me ridiculous answers. She kept saying they did everything to keep everybody safe? Safe from what!!? There was no fire! She said they didn't know there was no fire until the fire department showed up and checked everything and in the meantime they were working hard to keep all of the guests safe...REALLY? Then how come nobody called me or came to my room to tell my to evacuate? I didn't even know what the noise was at first AND nobody tried to keep me safe. I kept trying to call the front desk and they didn't answer. Her answers were utter nonsense. I'm so upset about my experience. I actually have narcolepsy and it is really bad for me to not get sleep - it worsens my condition horribly. But the hotel didn't care. They refused to give me as much as a discount. Just unbelievable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Matt B
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Matt B

We are terribly sorry for the inconvenience caused by the fire alarm during your stay.
While this certainly was an inconvenience, we are 100% committed to providing a safe environment for our guests. The fire department and alarm company have reported that the alarm was a result of an electrical failure with a sensor and there was no immediate danger to our guests. Rest assured that it was not a prank or an avoidable malfunction with the system. However, the overwhelming majority of the guests who were inconvenienced by the fire alarm were understanding of the situation and appreciated our response and the fact that they were in an establishment that was committed to their safety.
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel was easy to find. It is especially good if you want to visit Universal Studios and the hotel tram will take you there (unfortunately we did not know this and had paid extra for Universal to pick us up!) It is small and customer service good. We stayed 2 nights and were allocated one of the newly refurbished rooms. This was the best hotel we stayed in on our California coast trip. The room was bright, airy, trendy and very comfortable. The rooms were serviced daily. I think the room had hardly been used. The bathroom was really sparkling. There was a fridge, hair dryer and lots of power points including one specifically for charging devices. There was a balcony and although right beside the freeway the noise was eliminated when the balcony door was shut. The air con was still the older style controlled by a new wall panel - although it worked we found it difficult to stop fan which was quite noisy. We were in a corner room and it was very quiet in the corridor. We used the hotel pool one afternoon and found it small but able to accommodate everyone that day. We also ate in the Blackboard restaurant, we had breakfast one morning - excellent food, staff and service. I like a good cup of tea and this was the only hotel in California who made it correctly ! We also had one evening meal when we used the complimentary drinks vouchers we were offered at check in, again the food and service was excellent. If I had any gripes about this hotel it would be the car parking charges - it was the only one of 8 hotels we stayed in during our 3 week holiday in California that we were charged for. Also as the hotel is going through renovation it was quite a walk from the car park to the lift, and then a floor's length walk to our room, as the lift closest to our room was not in use. Although not overly impressed with Los Angeles I would go back to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: As the hotel is undegoing renovation (we were in Elderado part) only one lift is servicing the block...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Puddleplum:

Thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review of the hotel. We are glad that you were able to enjoy our services and facilities. As you may know parking charges in Los Angeles are quite expensive but we still have lower rates than our competitors.
We'll share your comments with our team and we hope to have you back when visiting LA! Safe travels!
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Beverly Garland is a good place to stay for visiting tourists in Los Angeles and Hollywood in particular. It is very central to Universal studios and the hotel amenities are well maintained and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank thingamajig
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thingamajig

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. As you say we do have an ideal location to most of the attraction in town and our guests do like that. We look forward to having you back when in LA! Warm regards.
Dongguan, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

This is a charming spanish style hotel, owned by former Hollywood actress (I learned there)
It is very well located near Ventura boulevard, near parks.
However it lays in a quite quiet area.
We got a good relax, between all those touristic walk and ecc...
Access to LA was easy

We also enjoyed the food and no complain to service, staff was cool and helpful (in their way ...)
I would recommend

Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Ivan S
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Ivan S

Thanks for sharing your feedback about the property. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel, its history and our helpfull staff. We hope to have you back when visiting Los Angeles in a near future. Safe travels!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is going through a renovation, but is nearly complete. The pool area is cozy and friendly, especially at night when they show movies by the pool and serve fresh hotdogs. We stayed in a renovated room that was freshly decorated. The patio doors are unique and a bit tricky at first...they pull out, then slide. The restaurant on site is great. The hotel is located very close to NOHO district. Service was excellent, but honestly we were never sure where the staff was! Except for the pool staff and front desk, everyone else stayed out of site unless they were needed!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank KWelker
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
KWelker:

Thank you for your response. I’m glad to hear the renovations were not a disruption to your stay, and that you were able to enjoy our pool activities. We hope to welcome you back soon!
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Pros-
1. The star of this hotel is the restaurant, Warren's Blackboard - amazing cuisine, they use local ingredients. I had breakfast everyday for 5 days, different dish each day, and hard to choose a favorite, but I'd say it was the short rib hash with poached eggs - came in a cast-iron skillet, absolutely delish. The pancakes, waffles, French toast, omelets - hard to beat. I ordered off the menu, the buffet was ok, but tiny negative comment here: they need to hire a pastry chef to do the breakfast baked goods; what I saw looked like it came from a grocery store.

I only had dinner one night and regretted that I didn't do more - the grilled steak salad with iceberg wedge/blue cheese and bacon was to die for. I was licking the plate - small criticism, should have come with bread or rolls. Dessert was sticky toffee pudding, which I look for anytime I eat out - another home run, wonderful.

Service at Warren's is fantastic - dedicated servers and host/hostess, they go the extra mile.

2. Everyone at front desk very cheerful and hospitable.

3. I asked for a renovated room, very nice - retro décor - felt like it was 1965. Great bathroom.

4. I was there in July, and each night they had a Summer Splash Dive in - showed a kids' movie at the pool, really a nice thing to do.

Cons-

1. Common areas that are still under renovation are an issue, not pleasant to walk around this.

2. Big problem for me was guest rooms are in separate buildings - no ramps for handicapped, had to shlep my heavy luggage, laptop, bags, etc. about 5 steps to get to elevator. I had been asked at check-in if I needed help with my bags, but I always decline because I can walk to elevator from lobby. Next time I'll accept that offer.

3. Housekeeping did not replenish bars of soap - each night I came back late, so it was pointless to call and ask for more, and each morning I was in a rush and would forget to ask. One morning I deliberately left soap on shower floor, along with empty shampoo bottle, they were still there when I came back that night - neatly folded bathmat lay nearby. Did housekeeping not see that? Did they think I would continue to use soap chips for my entire stay? Or are these cutbacks.

4. As a road warrior, I've come to expect a USA Today everywhere I go - if it's not delivered to room, I can always pick one up in lobby or in hotel restaurant. No papers anywhere here.

5. I used the parking facility here where I needed a keycard to get in and out. When I checked out, I asked the woman at the front desk if the keycard would still work when I pulled out for the last time, and she cheerfully assured me it would, no problem.

Of course, the minute I drove up to the gate, inserted the card, it said BAD DATE/TIME. So I pressed the green HELP button. And pressed it several times, meanwhile 2 cars are behind me trying to get out. I had to get out of my car, ask them to back up so I could back up into the lot and park.

Went to front desk and explained dilemma, they were chagrined, I said, worst part is that no one is answering the HELP button.

6. There do not appear to be ANY bellman or porters or valet parkers.

7. Everywhere you walk there are CAUTION WET FLOOR - and there are tile floors with wet footprints from pool, to guest rooms, to front desk. Lay down better tile, people!

Would I stay here again? Probably, since it is convenient to the business I visit - I would put up with the inconveniences and known better next time what to expect.

And eating at Warren's Blackboard is the best reason of all to stay here.

Room Tip: Stay in a RENOVATED room - if you need a handicapped accessible room, ASK how you're supposed to...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GoddessDivine
Daniel M, Manager at The Garland, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
GoddessDivine

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed Warren’s Blackboard so much, and are sad you didn’t dine with us more as well! We truly appreciate you taking the time to address the “pros and cons” of our hotel and will be sure to address each “con” point that you have laid out. We hope to welcome you back soon!