“Once again they were perfect”
Review of The Garland

The Garland
Ranked #14 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 December 2010

As always, I was thrilled with the Beverly Garland Hotel Los Angeles. The staff again was friendly as they welcomed me back, my room was clean (again), comfortable, and I love the large Flat Screen TV and décor. I love eating at their restaurant Tula’s. The breakfast buffet is wonderful and the price is a nice surprise. Without asking they always over me a coffee to go!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 December 2010

I stayed here for a vacation with my fiance. The front desk staff and housekeeping was great. No complaints there. The hotel was clean and well kept. Being that the hotel was mainly an outdoor location, it was a pain trying to get to our room in the rain. That's not the hotels fault though because usually LA is sunny. Beds were comfy and the room decor was nice. The restaurant was our favorite part. The food was above average for a hotel restaurant. We ate their twice everyday throughout our stay and we were very satisfied.

The only complaint that I have is that the bellman was very pushy for us to go on a tour. I'm sure he gets some kind of kickback on it. We ended up taking the tour and it was pretty good. We got heckled enough walking on hollywood blvd. from these tour salesman, so it was more than we needed being at our own hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
BGHI, General Manager at The Garland, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2010

Thank you for choosing The Beverly Garland. Hopefully the rain did not ruin too much of your trip while visiting . We are on our 6th straight day of rain, very unusual for LA so we hope to see you back soon to enjoy some California sunshine. We appreciate you taking time to write a review on our behalf and please accept my personal apologies if the bell staff came across too pushy. I have already spoken with our Bell Captain to ensure they refine the ways the offer tours to our guest. Wishing you and your family a Happy Holiday season.

Reviewed 13 December 2010

Stayed here a couple of times recently for quick weekend trips, chose this hotel specifically because the location was absolutely perfect for what I was doing in LA those weekends.

The good: Holiday Inn has recently completed it's makeover for the whole chain and did a surprisingly good job. Room was good with the big flat screen, free wifi, LOTS of plugs to charge stuff in, neutral colors, nice bedding etc. Bathrooms are still circa 1970's but they were clean. Public spaces are very attractive with lounges and a firepit. The fitness center is better than average for a hotel as well. The free shuttle to Universal is a good deal, but I didn't really need it.

The not so good: The freeway noise. It's really loud. At times it can drown out the TV in the room. Every room has a little balcony, but there is no way to enjoy it with the loud noise. Make sure you ask for a room that does not face the freeway. Also, $14 for parking? Really? In the middle of suburban North Hollywood? That's just greedy for this area. The menu in the restaurants is fine, ate there a couple of times and service was hit or miss. Even though the place is always empty, sometimes the waiter just dissapeared. The food is priced very reasonably and not too bad. Front desk service is at best courteous, nothing to write home about.

The both times I stayed here because I got a good rate and could not imagine paying more than $100 to stay here. Although they have a lot to offer, for a higher price point you can get a quieter room with better service else where in the area.

Also, almost forgot, if you don't know who Beverly Garland is, the have a a channel devoted to her so you can catch up.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
BGHI, General Manager at The Garland, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2010

Thank you for choosing our hotel while traveling to Los Angeles. We appreciate your business and enjoy hearing from our guests as your comments are our best tool in making both physical and service improvements.

Reviewed 11 December 2010

For the price they charge $180 per night I would stay somewhere else.
Horrible service from front desk to management.
Every single day I would ask the cleaning crew for extra 2 towels every single day they would not do it.
They charge $14 a day per car for parking and the keys they give just stop working every couple of days.
They people at the front desk are just not service oriented. It feels like they have been forced to be there.
They double booked one of our two rooms.
They charged room service to our room when we ordered takeout.
Just one thing over another and never any show of apology, just "OH OK".
I had better service at motels.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank 00neveragain00

Thanks for writing a review of our hotel. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and that our staff did not provide you with the level of service you deserved. I am not sure why the cleaning crew did not provide the extra towels per your request. It may have been a language issue, but that does not excuse us not fulfilling your needs. The Executive Housekeeper and I discussed your comments with the staff with regard to the importance of follow through and if they do not understand the request from a guest, the process they need to follow to ensure we do not fall short of guest service. Your feedback is our best tool in making improvements….Thank You!

Reviewed 10 December 2010

Staff like that can ruin the reputation of any business.
I don't want to spend time detailing the long list of rude comments and lack of service we received in this establishment, but I can assure you it wasn't pleasant. For the first time in my life I saw a hotel with the label of " Holiday Inn" abusing customers. We bought the accommodation via that website Priceline.com, and that gave the receptionists the right to think we're not worth being treated with courtesy and good manners.
When my husband approached the reception to check in, he literally heard " WHAT DO YOU WANT?" , hotel was empty but we were given a horrible room, first floor facing the noisy freeway, so uncalled for! We paid for full breakfast in advance, the receptionist never gave us the BF vouchers, he simply assumed we weren't entitled to it and never bothered to even ask, confirm or let alone apologise after we were refused to eat and had to chase whoever could finally confirm we had pre-paid for breakfast.... this is all making our Universal Studios fun day start very late. Restaurant /Breakfast staff also stink like tobacco, it all added up to an expensive stay that was not worthy at all.
I'd be happy to pay the 16 dollars a day for the car park if it was a clean, safe place.
It wasn't.
I left my phone number and email at the check out but never heard from anyone.
I can easily remember the names of the worst customer service people in Hollywood too.
There is more, for instance.. when I asked one of the staff members what would be the best view room, she answered " It depends if your children want to watch car accidents on the freeway or if they prefer to look at the top of trees" In shock I replied, the tree tops sound good.... in an attempt to see if she'd give me a better room. Bedroom had a smell of mould, internet was *very* SLOW.... and the list goes on.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank JackieAus

Thank you for taking time to write a review for our hotel. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and I assure you that your comments play an important role in our ability to continue to make improvements. We pride ourselves in taking care of our guests and I am disappointed that you did not walk away with the feeling that we care. Once again, please accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations.

Reviewed 5 November 2010

Beautiful hotel with a great staff. The room was large and very comfortable and well maintained. The courtesy and friendliness of the staff was outstanding. Superior quality and service reasonably priced.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for choosing The Beverly Garland and we look forward to your next visit to Los Angeles.

Reviewed 5 November 2010

This was my second stay at this hotel. As a Gold Priority Club member, I was upgraded on arrival to what is called a suite, but turned out to be one very large, well-appointed room. One end of the room contained the bed and the other a sofa and two comfortable chairs. There was an open alcove that contained a desk. The bathroom was spacious and very clean. My only complaint with the room was the lack of good lighting on and around the desk. All of the employees I encountered were friendly and helpful. The lobby is comfortable and inviting and there is a gift shop. The restaurant is very attractive and offers a decent selection of items at reasonable prices. It also offers espresso drinks. These days, it is so refreshing and convenient to actually have a full-service restaurant on the premises! Although I did not need the services, the hotel offers shuttle services to area attractions and provides assistance with airport transportation and various tours and also has meeting facilities. I did not use the pool but it looks very nice.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo

Thank you for choosing us once again. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. I also appreciate your comments about the amount of lighting at the desk. We are looking into some alternative lighting for the area with your experience in mind. We look forward to your next visit, please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally if I can be of any further assistance.