Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Gateway Hotel Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
US$220
US$215
US$319
US$284
US$259
US$235
US$497
  • Pool
Viceroy Santa Monica(Santa Monica)
US$591
US$463
US$174
US$138
FourPoints.com
  • Pool
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
US$451
US$320
US$245
Orbitz.com
1,039 results
All reviewsstudio citypatio cafeuniversal studiosventura blvdpool barpool viewlarge poolhollywood historyfire pitstayed here for nightsfree shuttleminute drivebeverly hillsstarbuckssupermarketralphslodging
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 December 2011

This is an historic hotel. It has been remodeled. It has a mixed feeling of old and new. We stayed in the main hotel. It's the oldest part of the hotel. There is some kind of strange smell in the hallway but it doesn't come in the room. This hotel is close to everything. You do have to pay $10.00 for parking.

Room Tip: Maybe choose a room from the newer section.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank osofast2
Reviewed 17 December 2011

My wife and I spent the first weekend in December there for a family function in the area and thought the place was nice. When we got home, my wife found that $1,200 of her jewelery and clothing was missing. We called the hotel to complain and said they would check to see who took care of our room. We called back and they told us that the maid who cleaned our room had suddenly left for Cuba (for family issues). We asked them to reimburse us for the stolen items and they referred us to their insurance carrier (Certus Claims) who referred us back to the hotel. I complained to the hotel and they wouldn't speak to me except to say to speak with Certus. Certus refuses to pay for anything. I am going to have to sue them in small claims court. I thought the maids are supposed to be bonded. Maybe they have illegals there???

Room Tip: Rooms that face the pool are noisy. They were filming a movie at the pool and they told us to be quite when they were making the noise.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Pharmatraveler
Reviewed 13 December 2011

When my son suggested I book the Sportsman's Lodge (near his apartment in Sherman Oaks) I was prepared for the worst just based on the low price. While I tend to stay at 4 or 5 star hotels, my son is comfortable at a Motel 6, and so I prepared myself for a $129 (cost of room) Los Angeles experience.

The lobby was neat, clean and comfy with a round, surround fireplace providing a nice holiday feeling. Service was immediate and I had my room key in about 2 minutes.

The room was a bit of a walk past the pool, but not too far to walk with light baggage. The room itself was very comfortable, certainly large enough and the balcony had a nice view of the pool. There was enough room on the balcony for two chairs, though only one was provided. As a cigar smoker, I was disappointed that you could not smoke on the balcony. On the other hand, I am sure this will please some non-smokers. The room had a decent set of amenities and was very clean.

The lobby bar was friendly and the drinks very reasonably priced. The bartender (either Joe or Jim ... I forget) has been at the hotel for 29 years and has a few celebrity stories. This hotel (or motel might be more exact) is a favorite of rock bands but it has a quiet and graceful demeanor. Several sports stars stay there as well.The walls are lined with photos of movie stars, mostly from the '40's- '60's. I don't know if they ever stayed there, but I would not be surprised if they did.

Checkout was as fast as check in and, as I was leaving, a staff member pointed out that I had not taken advantage of the free continental breakfast (a car was waiting for me). It is that type of personal touch that makes this a very comfortable and enjoyable stay.

My only one disappointment turned into a positive experience; the, what would be called in other hotels a "business center" had two computers attached to a cash / credit card machine. In order to use the computers you had to pay. The charge was a minimum $3 but the computer was so slow that it would be easy to consume that time long before you got your passes. Not that $3 is a lot but then to have to wait was frustrating. In the end, the machine would not print and so, after waiting and paying, I still did not have my boarding passes. The front desk apologized, explained that the computer is owned by another company (there is a phone next to the computer with the phone number of that company) and that he could not fix that. On the other hand, he quickly offered to print them out at his station and apologized again for the inconvenience. I would surmise that if you asked them to print out your boarding pass without bothering to use the pay computers, they would. This is that type of place.

Room Tip: A pool view is nice.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2011

My sister lives in Sherman Oaks and recommended this hotel. It is a great deal on a budget, so if no frills is what you need this fits the bill. We stayed here three nights for the Thanksgiving break and would recommend. I don't mind cheap and a little worn as long as it's really clean, and it was really clean. The rooms are really basic and we ate in the cafe one night and it was...okay, just like the rest of the hotel. Stay here if you are going to be out and about most of the time. I think in the summer, for families, it might be really fun because children would do well here and there is a huge pool with containment. Little things will go wrong (our door key) but the people are nice and you can't beat the price. We ate at the little sushi place next door, and it was also okay. Lots of locals in there. We'll stay here again.

Room Tip: The suites are pretty much the same as the other rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathy F
Reviewed 1 December 2011

This is an old property that has recently changed hands and is trying to make a comeback. It's in a great location if your visiting Studio City, but there are other places in this area that offer better value.

Room Tip: This place has an olympic sized pool and is close to Universal City if you are planning to go there.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family