“Terrible experience - felt like the least important people there”

Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel
Ranked #112 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was so excited to stay at Sportsmen's given its history and cool vibe, but we had an absolutely terrible experience there.

Checkin was a breeze with friendly staff and funky decor in the lobby, but when we got into our room I discovered a typed-up note explaining that the water would be shut off from 9 pm. until the following morning. The note helpfully explained that the toilets in the room would flush "only once" in that interim. There was absolutely no mention of this at checkin - if there had been, I would have canceled the reservation and gone somewhere else. A hotel without working water is like a restaurant without food - why are we paying for this? But we were excited about staying at Sportsmen's and had already loaded into our room so we decided to make the best of things.

We went down to the pool for a swim, only to be almost immediately kicked out of the deep end by an outside syncronized swimming group (Aqualillies, according to the giant banner they had hung up near the pool) using the pool for practice. Excuse me? Hotel guests can't use the pool because an outside group gets to use it for practice? How insulting. We were free to hang out in the shallow end with the children, but who wants to do that? Adding to the ambience was the Aqualillies' blaring PA speaker shouting out their routine instructions, plus crappy modern Top 40 music that was twice as loud as the poolside bar's own speakers. When I want to relax on a Sunday evening in a Vintage Midcentury Modern LA hotel, blaring Ke$ha and Pitbull doesn't really fit the vibe at all. Adding insult to injury, the Aqualillies coach informed us that they'd be using the pool until 9 pm, when it closed.

Frustrated, we retired to our poolside room for a quick shower before the water was turned off, but the Aqualillies' PA speaker was still so loud inside our room that relaxing was impossible. This went on for the next hour - yelling instructions, counting through routines - "ONE TWO THREE FOUR!' - blaring music - until their practice ended and the pool closed. What a miserable, uncomfortable evening!

Fed up, I called the Manager-on-Duty - Randall - asking why we hadn't been told about the water, why we couldn't use the pool, etc. - and only got semantic games and deflecting excuses ("The pool isn't technically closed - you can still use the shallow end" and "The water thing was a surprise to us too"). Randall was completely polite the entire time, but also completely ineffective at doing anything to fix the terrible situation - the most he offered was to comp our parking (under $20 off of a folio bill in the hundreds) and later offered to keep the pool open later for us (but how would we shower off afterwards, Randall?).

I have no idea if this experience is typical, but if I had an inclination that something like this could happen I would have steered clear. There are MANY choices of hotels in the immediate area, and barring some sort of effort by the management of Sportsmen's to fix this awful experience, I won't be back. It's a shame - the place is really cool and has a proud history behind it.

7  Thank Andrew H

Reviewed 29 June 2014

this hotel was all you could ask for...friendly staff, clean LARGE rooms, centrally located.I slept like a baby in the bed better than I could in my own home..if you spend quiet time for reflection in the morning the 2 acre rose garden/koi pond on the side will help quicken the transition..the pool was fantastic...I certainly would recommend this to anyone...the only thing the management should consider......room safes and a mini fridge....other than that...perfect

Reviewed 28 June 2014

HORRIBLE!! Leaky faucets, shower leaked noisily all the time, AC didn't work, loud hotel guests partying on the patio by the firepit all night, bad room location, ice makers not working, not enough linens, dirty sheets and outrageous fee for parking each night! I'll NEVER stay there or recommend it to anyone....EVER!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Intxctng1
Nathalie F, Director of Sales at Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for your recent stay at the Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel. I apologize the hotel did not meet your expectations. Rooms overlooking the pool area can be loud at times. We recommend requesting a quiet room next time. Our engineering department has been made aware of the leaky tube and the AC unit in the room. Thank you again.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed here just one night, on first looks, everything was great. Clean room, decent size.
Cons: Air conditioner was really noisy, sounded like a jet taking off. Also the walls were paper thin. We could hear everyone coming down the hallway.
Pros: Great Pool and bar outside, great service from staff in the cafe. Breakfast was delicious.
Room was $150 for the night.

1  Thank Donanap

Thank you for your recent visit to the Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel. We appreciate your feedback. Our engineer has been made aware of the loud AC unit. We hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed two nights last July, the pool was being repaired, we were told it would be finished when we got there...it was not.
The rooms were fine, the service was good, the food was good but rather pricey....the loction was real good as we were able to explore.
It does have quite beautifull gardens where we were able to sit and rest our feet and grab some rays.
We disliked L.A. in general of all the places we visited in 6,500 miles across the States so staying in Studio City was great for us....away from the bustle.
With the pool in action......I would recommend the hotel/motel for a few days as we were close to Universal Studio's and met some great folks walking around the residential area's...( despite signs saying....keep out).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy K
Nathalie F, Director of Sales at Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your stay with us. The pool was closed last year for repair and I apologize it was not available during your stay. Since then, we have completed all our renovations, including the pool area. We hope you will come back for a visit . Thank you again.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I've known Sportsman's Lodge for decades--back when they had an arcade near the lake (I was a kid then.) and crawdads crawling around.

Since then it's lost this charm, but Studio City's past can be seen in the bowling alley down the street and the pitch and putt behind the wash.

I left something valuable to me in the room and could not recover it. No response from management when queried.

Room Tip: Casa Vega (Fulton & Ventura) has some of the best Mexican food anywhere. I've seen John Goo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your recent stay to the Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel. We appreciate you sharing your recent visit with us. I apologize the new look of the hotel did not meet your expectations. We would like to assist you in locating the lost item. Can you please contact Stephen Chavez, the General Manager at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We've stayed here on memorial day weekend of 2014. I picked this place because it was closed to Universal Studios and it offered a shuttle. Unfortunately the shuttle only ran from 9am and last shuttle coming back was around 6pm. Wish I would have known that early because we wind up driving as we wanted to go early and come back later to enjoy Universal City walk in the evening. The hotel is old from the outside but looks like the did some remodeling. Nice big pool. The room was big for my wife, my 8 year old daughter and me. Beds were comfy and wifi worked well in the room as we had 4 devices. We booked a pool view room and requested to be on the 3rd floor as I heard the pool can get loud. It was not loud at all, no pool parties as some have wrote. Maybe that is more in the summer time. There was a bar at the pool that some people were having lunch or drinks. You can also order drinks or lunch and have them deliver it to your pool lounge chair. I didn't use the restaurant in the hotel but there is one inside and one next door. Dinner time looked dead in there but breakfast look like it was busy. No fitness center at this hotel but you can use the one next door for a small fee. Many places to eat around the hotel. We actually grabbed some dinner at Mel's dinner which was about a couple of miles down the street. Lots of people walking around at night and we felt safe. It's about a 10 minute drive to Universal Studios, we drove to the world famous Pink's Hot Dogs in Hollywood and that was about a 15 minute drive. And we also found the Original House they used for the Brady Bunch which was about a couple of miles from the hotel. One thing I didn't care for was the $14 a day for parking. Staff was friendly and the property was clean. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family