“Right across the street from Universal Studios”

Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
Ranked #56 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Odense, Denmark
“Right across the street from Universal Studios”
Reviewed 19 February 2011

When visiting Universal Studios this is the right place to stay. The hotel is the usual good Hilton standard (the seafood buffet in the restaurant is five star with crab legs, oysters, sushi, sashimi, lobster, carvery and crepe stations etc.). It is clean, modern and a bit boring to look at but the location is a blast. Our room was on a low floor (actually under lobby level) and handicap friendly. we had the view of the hotel's outdoor pool but the high rooms have probably got more interesting views. Parking was not too expensive for Los Angeles and the staff was helpful. Tickets to the Universal Studios are sold at the hotel and from there it is a five minute walk to get to the park. I do not like when wifi is not included (you don't pay extra for aircondition or tap water, do you?) but it was at least not too expensive.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rueskov

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edgewater, Maryland
Reviewed 18 February 2011

This is the third time my son and I have stayed at the Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City Hotel and we LOVE it!! They treat you well from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave. The front desk staff are ALWAYS courteous and helpful. The bell staff are informative, nice, and ALWAYS very sweet!! The valet service is the BEST I have ever experience, the are quick, attentive and ALWAYS ask if you would like bottled water for your day or if you need any directions. AMAZING!! We have stayed in Beverly Hills and not exprienced this high level of service. The hotel is beautiful and truly in one of the best locations we have found and we travel to LA quite often. It is close to Warner Bros Studios which, by the way, offers one of THE BEST studio tours in Burbank/Hollywood!! We had a view of the studios and the WB water tower from our room!! As well as Universal Studios and the magnificent Hollywood Hills. My husband and I are travelling to Los Angeles to celebrate my 50th (yikes!!) birthday in August and YES we are staying at the Hilton Los Angeles/Universal. Trust me fellow Trip Advisor Members, I would never steer you in the wrong direction!! Enjoy!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2011

awesome location. within walking distance to universal. really enjoyed that. rooms where nice but a little on the pricey side.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I stayed here with my hubby back in May 10. After a 16 hour flight from Sydney, a 3 hour wait in customs, and being ripped off by the cab driver (he took $100 for a $77 cab ride, he didnt ask if we wanted any change!), we were exhausted and annoyed when we arrived at the hotel. But our mood changed with the great service from arrival, the front desk was always helpful, room service was great and so was the travel desk. The king room was clean, spacious and the bed was soooo comfortable.

We had the buffet breakfast one morning. I think it was a little dear but well worth the money.

The location was great too with a free shuttle running from the hotel to universal studios and to grauman's chinese theatre. This definitely made it easier to get around. The travel desk even arranged us on the airport shuttle which was only $20 per person.

I think the only downside was that the outdoor spa was too cold. Really would have been more enjoyable if it were a few degrees warmer.

Overall, impressive and would go back.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
hiltonuniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City, responded to this review, 14 February 2011
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. If there were any employees in particular that made your stay amazing, we would love to recognize them individually.

We hope to see you again soon in Universal City.

Zarina Zertuche
and the staff of Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City
South Pole
Reviewed 3 February 2011

It's a good hotel, probably worthy of the 4 star rating that most reviewers give them.

PROS: Outstanding location, better than the Sheraton a block away
Food options are good
Rooms are large and spacious
Hilton VIP's get nice treatment

CONS: This year has got to be the one of a major facelift
No shuttle to anywhere like the metro stop or City Walk
Rooms need some TLC in 2011

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Berkshire, UK
Reviewed 31 January 2011

I stayed here for 5 nights as partcof a visit to LA. I was not sure what to expect as there were mixed reports from other reviewers of both this and the Sheraton next door. On balance I thought the Hilton would be better and so I booked it.

I wasn't disappointed. I was greeted after my 10 hour flight by a lovely member of staff on the front desk and was in my room within 5 minutes. The room was an alcove room on the 23rd floor with fantastic views of Universal Studios and the San Fernando valley - worth upgrading to one of these rooms if you can. The room was big by hotel standards with a sofa, king bed and big bathroom.

I found all staff to be very pleasant and the hotel is ideally situated for both the Metro (a 5 minute walk down the hill) and Universal Studios (a 5 minute walk). I did not have a car and found the location of the hotel allowed me to do all I wanted without the need for a car.

All in all, a hotel I would definitely recommend and one i will return to.

• Stayed January 2011
Alice Springs, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2011

The Hilton was comfortable, standard large hotel with all the comforts of a big hilton hotel. Older style, but comfortable rooms and nice pool area. Very easy walk to Universal and the freehotel shuttle comes regularly. The breakfast buffet had an excellent choice and was good value.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Universal City Area
Nite Inn at Universal City
Nite Inn at Universal City
#140 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City? Share your experiences!