Hotel Erwin
Cadillac Hotel(Los Angeles)
Average 3/5
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
Marina del Rey Marriott(Marina del Rey)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
Jamaica Bay Inn(Marina del Rey)
  • Pool
Foghorn Harbor Inn Hotel(Marina del Rey)
Very Good 4/5
The Kinney(Marina del Rey)
  • Pool
Sea Shore Motel(Santa Monica)
1,423 results
All reviewsrooftop barvenice beachocean viewsanta monicamuscle beachstay in veniceabbot kinneyperfect locationboutique hotelvalet parkingvalet servicebabbobalconyskatehipcaliforniaminibar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 August 2011

It really was in the perfect location. Small grocery store super close. The Seed- a vegan
restaurant right across the street from the hotel. I think the beach itself was only 1-2 short blocks away. Nice staff. The not so good info is-$28 a night to park at this hotel. I didn't rent a car because everything I needed was within walking distance. The Buses are cheap. When I arrived my refrigerator was full of their high priced products-juices and booze. I asked them to remove everything out of the refrigerator so I could put my stuff in it. They immediately came to my room and got all of the stuff out of the refrigerator.
In the room they also have a box of expensive treats-chocolates-nuts, snacks. That did help me out when I arrived late at 11:30pm at night and was hungry. However those treats were super expensive for me to consume. I will stay at this hotel again in the future. There is no air conditioning or fans on the ceilings in the rooms. You have to leave your patio door open to breathe during the summer. Don't expect to sleep at night. Lots of noise from the street scene in the alley plus there is a noisy bar right next door. If you just want to hang out at the beach this is the best place to go. Be sure to book your reservation on line way ahead of time as this hotel is very pricey. If you sign up on line early they are much less expensive. I got a room with a view of the alley. You have to pay extra to get an ocean view. But believe me, the alley can be super interesting late at night.
Don't go out super early in the mornings. Most of the little stores don't open till 9 or 9:30am. Of course, it is Venice Beach and there are a lot of homeless people in this area.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank HareKrsna
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I recently stayed at Hotel Erwin in Venice Beach for 2 nights at the beginning of August. Unfortunately it was one of the worst hotel stays I've ever experienced.

I don't even know where to begin, as the hotel seemed to be plagued with issues. From the minute I arrived, it was complete chaos. I waited 20-25 minutes just to arrive at the entrance. The driveway was so small, and the lack of attendants and organization was the precursor for what I experienced throughout my stay.

As I was arriving from a different part of LA, I ended up arriving at 1:30 pm. When i approached the front desk, I was told that my reservation could not be found even though I had a confirmation number (which they said was not relevant at all). A supervisor was summoned, who seemed to find the reservation in short order. After finding the reservation, I was told that there was no room ready for me, and that check in was not available until 3 pm. (It is in their policies). The same supervisor asked housekeeping to prepare a room immediately, which I still did not get into until after 3pm. I was only travelling with a carry-on, so with some hesitation I left my bag with the valet. Later on during my stay, I actually overheard that the hotel valet's had actually given guests the wrong luggage upon departure who returned it to the hotel. All of this, wasn't even the beginning of the problems.

The biggest issue occurred while enjoying the beach in the morning. Upon returning to the room at around 2 pm after some great surf to get cleaned up, there was a note placed on the bed stating that from 12-6 pm there would be no water in any of the hotel rooms, not to mention that housekeeping had not yet been to the room. There was no prior notification whatsoever, for an inconvenience such as this, making this completely unacceptable. How do you not inform guests that they simply cannot shower, drink, go to the bathroom etc for the duration of most the day??? I contacted the front desk immediately and was very displeased to say the least. Solutions were very slow to come, which therefore inconvenienced me further. Their solution was to make shower facilities in another part of the hotel available, as well as compensate me with 1 complimentary drink upstairs on the roof patio. You have to question priorities, when guests are inconvenienced due to a very poorly planned water outage, which turned out to be part of a restaurant renovation. Later I chose to pursue the matter with the operations manager, who did apologize, and comped that day's stay.

The hotel itself is dated and is aged considerably. There is only 1 elevator throughout the entire hotel, some of the carpets are quite dirty, there was scuff and dirt marks throughout the hallways, musty odours were prevalent, the tile on the bottom of the shower was not cleaned well, and wearing away etc. The furniture in the room looked worn, and our room didn't even have an alarm clock in it. It feels very 60's, and needs a new style of funk. Some modern upgrades and decor do exist, but is not carried throughout the entire hotel. It's in desperate need of a complete remodelling job. Also as a side note, they do advertise every room with a balcony, just be prepared that your balcony may be 18 inches wide.

I ordered room service for breakfast on my final morning, and it was just average, and albeit somewhat cold. I had been told it would take 30 minutes, and did not receive food for well over an hour. This just once again isn't acceptable. (They did give me a free glass of OJ for the wait…)

Yes the location is great, and there are some nice ocean views, but this was just a terrible overall experience. The staff were indeed very nice, and accommodating but did not seem to have the resources to deal with the issues. They couldn't even provide me with the correct directions to LAX upon departure. Even as a non-resident I realized that the directions were incorrect, and had to refer to a map.

As a very frequent traveller to California, and a patron of boutique hotels, my preference still remains elsewhere. I would not stay here again, nor recommend it, and it would now be a challenge to choose to stay in ANY Joie de Vivre hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank traveljunkieab
Benjamin_Malmquist, General Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Dear traveljunkieab,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review sharing your experience with other travelers looking for a unique boutique hotel experience. We really appreciated hearing your positive comments about the location of the Hotel Erwin and our commanding ocean views. We agree that this hotel offers a memorable experience in addition to our fantastic beach location.

In addition, thank you for letting us know about the service interruptions during your last visit with us. It is important that we take this feedback as a tool to improve our operation at the hotel and restaurant. Without your feedback, we would not be able to put corrective actions in place to improve upon our current offerings.

I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your experience at the Hotel Erwin. At Joie de Vivre Hospitality, we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. I would like to invite you back to be my guest at the Hotel Erwin. I am certain that you will experience this high level of service during your next visit with us. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to make the arrangements. We hope that you would consider staying with us again for your next visit to sunny Venice Beach.

Warm Regards,

Benjamin Malmquist
Hotel Erwin

Reviewed 3 August 2011

The Hotel Erwin lived up to every review I read, and every good thing I'd heard about it!

We were given premium treatment from the moment we pulled up to the front doors, until our departure the next day.

The valet service was efficient and affordable, and the staff who greeted us at our car were very polite and helpful.

At the front desk we were greeted by a friendly and gregarious gentleman, who invited us to "sing for our room" and gave a heartfelt example of how to do so.

Our room was very large, light, comfortable, and beautifully and artfully decorated. Every inch of it was designed to inspire, please and captivate. It fully captured all the spirit and energy of the beach, and was a terrific addition to our visit there.

This hotel is literally in the middle of everything! We were very pleased with how easy it was to reach from the highway, and how close it was to the beach, and the famous four corners in Venice.

While we didn't have the time to enjoy the pool deck, I did run up to check it out, and it was every bit as lovely as I'd heard it was! On my next visit I will be sure to take full advantage of it.

Our stay was part of a very special Birthday celebration, and to this day, we talk about how well this hotel complimented our experience. I would happily plan my next trip to LA around staying at the Erwin.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cupcakedujour
Reviewed 2 August 2011

...with a much-needed bar with a view. As a former Venice resident, I'm particular about where I want to stay when I come back to visit. Erwin's location cannot is ideal, close to the beach and Abbott Kinney. Staff was very friendly and attentive and the room was beautifully-designed with great views.

The rooftop bar is the perfect place to have a cocktail, meet friends and enjoy the gorgeous view of the coast. It's an oasis in a busy area.

I will absolutely stay here every time that I'm in town.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at Hotel Erwin recently and although it was not our first choice in Venice Beach, we were really impressed with the facilities of the property.

As we were a family of 5, we stayed in a 1 bedroom suite, there was more than enough room for all of us, we had 1 separate bedroom with lovely comfortable king size bed, and really good linen and pillows on the bed... Our children (3 teenage girls), shared 1 queen sized sofa bed, and we also had a roll away bed. Only down side with this was the rollaway mattress was really thin and so bed a bit uncomfortable, but hey, she's 12 and didn't care all that much!!

There's 1 bathroom, but good size with nice amenities. We could see Venice Beach from our room, plus we had a small deck which was nice. All in all the room was super comfortable (oh, and it had a kitchen too!), and the price was right - much cheaper than taking 2 rooms (which we had done everywhere else..).

The rooftop bar was a perfect spot to finish off a great day in LA, and do a bit of people spotting, and the restaurant downstairs - served a fantastic breakfast with great service..

The area the hotel is in is slightly dingy, but it is Venice Beach, and there are a lot of shady people around, so I guess that's to be expected.

Room Tip: For families with 5 people, get the 1 bedroom suite - it works out cheaper
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family