“No more hotel jumping in Venice Beach/Santa Monica - I found my 'one!'”
Review of Hotel Erwin

Ranked #11 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“No more hotel jumping in Venice Beach/Santa Monica - I found my 'one!'”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

The incredible location is just the beginning, from the moment you enter the staff at this chic boutique hotel makes you feel at home.

Super-close to the Venice Boardwalk it was easy to rent a bike and ride to Santa Monica. The Hotel Erwin is close to amazing dining in Venice, Santa Monica and Marina Del Ray. A really perfect spot to enjoy some of the best of So. California.

Check-in was quick and easy and the suite I stayed in was very comfortable and well-appointed. The wet bar was complete with dishes and silverware and I loved the sunglasse honor bar offering!

The pillows and bedding were incredible and made for a very good night's sleep. The large and fluffy towels were the only thing that could have lured me out of the shower. Great rain shower head and perfect water pressure.

Each room has it's own balcony with seating - but for a night out the rooftop lounge, HIGH was a great place to grab handcrafted cocktail and mingle with tourists and locals alike. One one particiular evening in addition to the heaters we were offered blankets to make our expeirence more enjoyable.

It seems that no attention detail was omitted at Hotel Erwin. I have found "my" place in Venice Beach!

Room Tip: If you sleep in you might want to stay away from full-ocean view rooms, as they face the boardwalk j...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank KarinAmbrose

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Opted to stay here instead of Santa Monica for a work event this past week. Such a great value, just a 5 min drive or pleasant walk to SM but also near Main St, Abbot Kinney, right on the water, and on a great corner in Venice with amazing empanadas, vegan options, vintage stores and coffee. The staff was very accomodating, the rate for the space we received was a deal and I slept like a baby. Lots of excitement outside but couldn't hear a word of it. I'll be back for sure, the other options nearby are either way over priced or without the character.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MollieBCasey
San Diego
Reviewed 7 August 2011

The hotel staff were kind and provided us good service. Upon entering our room, I discovered that the bathtub was filthy. Moreover, there was a silverfish crawling around inside. The occurrence of one silverfish indicates an infestation in the building as they never exist alone to be found in one room of a busy hotel. I informed the hotel staff. They were aghast as they had apparently never received such a complaint before. I believe this could be due to the fact that most clientele generally ignore it as a small bug like a spider.

However, being quite familiar with silver fish (I have had to deal with an infestation in an old apartment building in my younger days), I knew that one silverfish is a warning that there are more in the building.
The carpet in the floors is also grungy and stained. The quality of this hotel is just slightly better than a motel perhaps.

For all these reasons, I left the building to go to the Marriott in Marina Del Rey which is a better hotel and has quality and cleanliness for the same price range.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank LaraCroft1000
Benjamin_Malmquist, General Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, 26 August 2011
Dear LaraCroft1000,

Please accept my apologies for your recent visit to the Hotel Erwin. After reading your review, we immediately dispatched a pest control technician who completed a thorough investigation of the entire building. Rest assured, there was no evidence of silverfish or any other pests found. If you would like to receive a copy of this report, please contact me and I would be happy to share it with you.

I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your experience at the Hotel Erwin. At Joie de Vivre Hospitality, we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. I would like to invite you back to be my guest at the Hotel Erwin. I am certain that you will experience this high level of service during your next visit with us. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to make the arrangements. We hope that you would consider staying with us again for your next visit to sunny Venice Beach.

Warm Regards,

Benjamin Malmquist
Rowlett Tx
Reviewed 6 August 2011

The room had a nice view of Santa Monica....but room too small for price ...the bar on the top of the roof called HIGH was loud at times ...and the drinks were 12.50 for a whiye russian....BAR VERY LAME

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington
Reviewed 6 August 2011

It really was in the perfect location. Small grocery store super close. The Seed- a vegan
restaurant right across the street from the hotel. I think the beach itself was only 1-2 short blocks away. Nice staff. The not so good info is-$28 a night to park at this hotel. I didn't rent a car because everything I needed was within walking distance. The Buses are cheap. When I arrived my refrigerator was full of their high priced products-juices and booze. I asked them to remove everything out of the refrigerator so I could put my stuff in it. They immediately came to my room and got all of the stuff out of the refrigerator.
In the room they also have a box of expensive treats-chocolates-nuts, snacks. That did help me out when I arrived late at 11:30pm at night and was hungry. However those treats were super expensive for me to consume. I will stay at this hotel again in the future. There is no air conditioning or fans on the ceilings in the rooms. You have to leave your patio door open to breathe during the summer. Don't expect to sleep at night. Lots of noise from the street scene in the alley plus there is a noisy bar right next door. If you just want to hang out at the beach this is the best place to go. Be sure to book your reservation on line way ahead of time as this hotel is very pricey. If you sign up on line early they are much less expensive. I got a room with a view of the alley. You have to pay extra to get an ocean view. But believe me, the alley can be super interesting late at night.
Don't go out super early in the mornings. Most of the little stores don't open till 9 or 9:30am. Of course, it is Venice Beach and there are a lot of homeless people in this area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank HareKrsna
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I recently stayed at Hotel Erwin in Venice Beach for 2 nights at the beginning of August. Unfortunately it was one of the worst hotel stays I've ever experienced.

I don't even know where to begin, as the hotel seemed to be plagued with issues. From the minute I arrived, it was complete chaos. I waited 20-25 minutes just to arrive at the entrance. The driveway was so small, and the lack of attendants and organization was the precursor for what I experienced throughout my stay.

As I was arriving from a different part of LA, I ended up arriving at 1:30 pm. When i approached the front desk, I was told that my reservation could not be found even though I had a confirmation number (which they said was not relevant at all). A supervisor was summoned, who seemed to find the reservation in short order. After finding the reservation, I was told that there was no room ready for me, and that check in was not available until 3 pm. (It is in their policies). The same supervisor asked housekeeping to prepare a room immediately, which I still did not get into until after 3pm. I was only travelling with a carry-on, so with some hesitation I left my bag with the valet. Later on during my stay, I actually overheard that the hotel valet's had actually given guests the wrong luggage upon departure who returned it to the hotel. All of this, wasn't even the beginning of the problems.

The biggest issue occurred while enjoying the beach in the morning. Upon returning to the room at around 2 pm after some great surf to get cleaned up, there was a note placed on the bed stating that from 12-6 pm there would be no water in any of the hotel rooms, not to mention that housekeeping had not yet been to the room. There was no prior notification whatsoever, for an inconvenience such as this, making this completely unacceptable. How do you not inform guests that they simply cannot shower, drink, go to the bathroom etc for the duration of most the day??? I contacted the front desk immediately and was very displeased to say the least. Solutions were very slow to come, which therefore inconvenienced me further. Their solution was to make shower facilities in another part of the hotel available, as well as compensate me with 1 complimentary drink upstairs on the roof patio. You have to question priorities, when guests are inconvenienced due to a very poorly planned water outage, which turned out to be part of a restaurant renovation. Later I chose to pursue the matter with the operations manager, who did apologize, and comped that day's stay.

The hotel itself is dated and is aged considerably. There is only 1 elevator throughout the entire hotel, some of the carpets are quite dirty, there was scuff and dirt marks throughout the hallways, musty odours were prevalent, the tile on the bottom of the shower was not cleaned well, and wearing away etc. The furniture in the room looked worn, and our room didn't even have an alarm clock in it. It feels very 60's, and needs a new style of funk. Some modern upgrades and decor do exist, but is not carried throughout the entire hotel. It's in desperate need of a complete remodelling job. Also as a side note, they do advertise every room with a balcony, just be prepared that your balcony may be 18 inches wide.

I ordered room service for breakfast on my final morning, and it was just average, and albeit somewhat cold. I had been told it would take 30 minutes, and did not receive food for well over an hour. This just once again isn't acceptable. (They did give me a free glass of OJ for the wait…)

Yes the location is great, and there are some nice ocean views, but this was just a terrible overall experience. The staff were indeed very nice, and accommodating but did not seem to have the resources to deal with the issues. They couldn't even provide me with the correct directions to LAX upon departure. Even as a non-resident I realized that the directions were incorrect, and had to refer to a map.

As a very frequent traveller to California, and a patron of boutique hotels, my preference still remains elsewhere. I would not stay here again, nor recommend it, and it would now be a challenge to choose to stay in ANY Joie de Vivre hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank traveljunkieab
Dear traveljunkieab,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review sharing your experience with other travelers looking for a unique boutique hotel experience. We really appreciated hearing your positive comments about the location of the Hotel Erwin and our commanding ocean views. We agree that this hotel offers a memorable experience in addition to our fantastic beach location.

In addition, thank you for letting us know about the service interruptions during your last visit with us. It is important that we take this feedback as a tool to improve our operation at the hotel and restaurant. Without your feedback, we would not be able to put corrective actions in place to improve upon our current offerings.

Warm Regards,

Benjamin Malmquist
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2011

The Hotel Erwin lived up to every review I read, and every good thing I'd heard about it!

We were given premium treatment from the moment we pulled up to the front doors, until our departure the next day.

The valet service was efficient and affordable, and the staff who greeted us at our car were very polite and helpful.

At the front desk we were greeted by a friendly and gregarious gentleman, who invited us to "sing for our room" and gave a heartfelt example of how to do so.

Our room was very large, light, comfortable, and beautifully and artfully decorated. Every inch of it was designed to inspire, please and captivate. It fully captured all the spirit and energy of the beach, and was a terrific addition to our visit there.

This hotel is literally in the middle of everything! We were very pleased with how easy it was to reach from the highway, and how close it was to the beach, and the famous four corners in Venice.

While we didn't have the time to enjoy the pool deck, I did run up to check it out, and it was every bit as lovely as I'd heard it was! On my next visit I will be sure to take full advantage of it.

Our stay was part of a very special Birthday celebration, and to this day, we talk about how well this hotel complimented our experience. I would happily plan my next trip to LA around staying at the Erwin.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
#6 of 36 in Santa Monica
Ocean View Hotel
Ocean View Hotel
#9 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!