“Wonderful stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sacramento, California
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We recently attended our daughters medical school graduation from UCLA. She has a house in ,Venice Beach and we wanted to stay close to her. The Erwin is 2 blocks from her house and she suggested we stay there. What a great suggestion....we loved staying there and found the staff to be very enjoyable, friendly and accomodating. The rooms were nicely decorated and we loved the rooftop lounge. I would highly recommend this nice boutique hotel if you are in the Venice Beach area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Gloria M
Dear Gloria M,

First, congratulations on you daughters graduation, that’s wonderful. Second, thank you so much for all the great comments about the hotel and staff. I will make sure to pass them along. On your next special occasion, we hope to see you here!

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I've been to Venice many times, but never thought about trying this place. A friend suggested the Roof Lounge was a great place to watch the sunset and have a beer. It was SO worth it. The view is magnificent and the staff are very laid-back and friendly. I got a little confused coming in; a member of the staff named Lisette was about to end her shift, but took the time to get me to the roof. Their bouncer, Rob, was a blast to talk to as well. I got there early enough to take in the incredible view through the whole process of the sunset; the Old Rasputin (one of my absolute favs!) helped enormously. I don't think Venice will seem the same now without a visit here.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank C H
Dear C H,

You found it! The best hidden gem of West LA! I am glad you enjoyed your Old Rasputin, one of my favs is the Scrimshaw Pilsner, try it next time you visit. Thanks and hope to see you soon!

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 16 May 2012

This hotel has nice rooms on the renovated 6th floor however it has opened up a trendy roof top bar. This has the effect of crowding the small lobby with non guests visiting the bar and creating havoc with the one elevator in the hotel; this results in long waiting times for guests.. It also creates a security problem for guests as there is little control over who comes and goes in the hotel.
The on site bar restaurant adjacent to the lobby is very small and crowded, with loud music, customers have to raise their voices to have a conversation.

Room Tip: ask for room on refurbished 6th floor
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michael s
Dear michael s,

Thank you for sharing you experience here on TripAdvisor, we appreciate the kind words about the hotel rooms. I apologize that you felt “overrun” by non-hotel guests. We take security and safety very serious and we always have security guards on site to control and monitor the building. I will ensure that this review is shared with the team and we will continue to create and fun, safe, and secure environment for everyone. We wish you all the best and hope that you will return soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Just spent 4 days at the Erwin. The room was a suite looking over the craziness of Venice Beach. The living room had a kitchenette with a nicely stocked honor bar. There was a table that four people could sit at, perfect for a meeting or spreading out papers to work on. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom is a on the small side with only one sink.
Room service was great and came on time. The front staff was pleasant and attentive. The roof deck bar is fabulous. A great place to go for an early drink before the going out--Not to crazy packed and a great time to look out on to the Pacific.
All round fun and comfortable. My kind of place.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor looking directly at the beach. The are more expensive but overly so. Defi...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rowe161
Dear rowe161,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to thank you for sharing you experience here on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding area. Sounds like you booked one of our Ocean View Suites, good choice! I will be sure to pass along your great comments to the staff who will be pleased.

At Joie de Vivre we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hotel Erwin for your trip to Venice Beach. Should you return to Venice in the future I sincerely hope you will consider giving us the opportunity to show you our dedication and exceed your expectations.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and found it very disappointing. My husband and I had one of the newly renovated rooms which was very nice, but over priced. We were looking forward to relaxing at the roof top bar, but you have to make a reservation to have a drink! After 3 weeks touring USA this was the only hotel that was a let down.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Annie181
Dear Annie181,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to personally apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. We are still some upgrades around the hotel that should be finished up soon. The guest experience will be much different and I want to invite you back once we have completed the work which should be within the next 2 weeks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My friend and I recently stayed one night at Hotel Erwin, and we loved it. After reading reviews about all the construction I was a little hesitant, but I figured we would be there for only one night, so it hopefully wouldn't matter. We must have been lucky to get the room we did, because we didn't see or hear a thing.

Loved the boutique hotel vibe, and loved the style of the rooms. Beds were comfortable, and the room was clean. Sliding glass door (with screen) was great to let some air in. I guess I'm used to some hotels that don't let you open the windows, so this was fantastic. Bathroom was small, but at least it was clean -- that's all I ask! Oh, and we dealt with only the front desk staff, but they were very nice.

Some reviewers mentioned they weren't comfortable in the area around the hotel -- we didn't have that problem at all. Perhaps they didn't realize what Venice Beach is like. Anyone familiar with Venice Beach knows what to expect. And of course there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. But I definitely recommend getting a rental car if you're staying here and hoping to see other places around Los Angeles. The hotel isn't far from the airport, if that's a factor for you.

Overall I loved the location, and loved this boutique hotel. I've stayed at other joie de vivre hotels and wasn't disappointed there either. This will definitely be an option the next time I'm in L.A.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear atljs,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to personally thank you for sharing your experience here with everyone on TripAdvisor. I am so happy you made your one night in Venice count. We appreciate the kind words and will make sure to pass them along to the staff.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Having lived in LA previously I was keen to reconnect with the old neighbourhood. Hotel Erwin was a great choice on many levels - location, funky rooms and the fab rooftop bar. Renovations still in progress but were no issue. Staff were great. Only one minor issue was length of time it took for my room to be cleaned...but all in all a great hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Dear JacquiBrowne,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to personally thank you for sharing your experience here with everyone on TripAdvisor. I am so happy you felt back at home when you were with us. I am sure many things have changed here over the years. I will make sure to share you comments about the timeliness room being cleaned with our housekeeping department.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Venice On The Beach Hotel
Venice On The Beach Hotel
#58 of 351 in Los Angeles
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!