“Beautiful beach location/ killer food/stunning views rooftop bar/comfy bed”
Review of Hotel Erwin

Hotel Erwin
Ranked #11 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed here with a friend-this hotel hit the mark and then some on all points-great location one block from Venice Beach, neighborhood a little urban and gritty, but I like that-killer food at the High Rooftop Bar (you must have lamb sliders and fresh guacamole) and BarLo for breakfast (Eggs Benedict and Salmon on Bagel-awesome), really comfortable bed and large bathroom, partial ocean view with balcony-worth the upgrade, provided beach towels and bag, and staff was really friendly and helpful! Miguel at the front desk was really extra personable and accommodating! I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: partial ocean view was really nice . . .
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We’re happy to hear you not only enjoyed the unique location but also the plush accommodations and delicious food! Our team takes pride on making our guests feel at home and Miguel is an excellent example of that. We can’t wait for you to come back!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Erwin

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I'm a hospitality professional so my expectations of service are already fairly high. So it's rare when I find a hotel that not only delivers on, but exceeds my expectations. Every single person I encountered made me feel truly welcomed. Not in a scripted way the way the chains train their staff. In an authentic and genuine way. Each person is encouraged to be themselves and communicate in their voice - nothing rehearsed here.I did have a couple of random problems (to be expected) that were immediately addressed and resolved. And that's what's important. Venice Beach may not be for everyone, but if you have to stay anywhere in the area, stay here. That is if you like 5-star level service in a way that makes you feel right at home.

Room Tip: I had a partial oceanview which was nice. But if you are coming to the beach, just spend the extra d...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for the kind review! We are delighted to hear you had positive interactions with our team throughout your stay and that we made you feel right at home! It was truly our pleasure to have you as a guest and we look forward to your next visit!

Until then,

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I chose this hotel primarily for its views onto Venice Beach. The hotel was of a higher standard than I expected, it was clean and I stayed in a recently refurbished Ocean View King room. For me it was worth the extra money as I enjoyed the start of sunset from my balcony and also had breakfast (which was good) out there.
The cocktails on the rooftop bar were well made and good value and the view of the sunset from up there was brilliant.
I was able to leave my bags with the valet attendant in the morning for him to put in my car and then I came an collected my car early afternoon once I'd wandered round exploring the local area.
Not the cheapest hotel, but not the most expensive hotel with good beach views either!

Room Tip: Go for an Ocean View King and enjoy the views across the beach and out to sea.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Angelica V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

We’re happy to hear we surpassed your expectations! Nothing beats waking up to a gorgeous sunrise from the comfort of your private balcony and catching a sunset on the rooftop. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and we hope to see you again.

Wishing you all the best,

Reviewed 30 October 2013

There is a lot to like about the Erwin. It’s a small boutique hotel in the heart of Venice Beach, just a block off the sand. While some might find the neighborhood a little off-putting; we found it fun and urban. The roof top bar is great, and the restaurant downstairs served surprisingly good food and had very friendly service. The beds are pretty comfortable and the minibar is well stocked.

The views sucks unless you get an ocean view or sunset ocean view room (we fortunately booked the former). I posted a pic of the view. Our room was well over $400/night, and I don't think the service or room warranted the price.

Lastly, in the evening the tiny lobby and the rooftop bar were filled with quite a few 30 year-old adolescents. I'm just past the point where I find that energy fun, but if you still drink Jägermeister or wear a retro hat of some kind...you might be entertained.

All that said, we'd stay again during the week but probably not on the weekend. And I probably wouldn't spend more than $275 for an ocean view room.

Room Tip: Oceanview rooms if you want any view or just piece and quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mermaidit

We’re happy to hear you had a fun during your time with us and thank you for sharing that gorgeous photo you took! We take pride in the details and you’ll see that in our quirky minibar setup. We’ll see you next time your travels take you to Venice Beach.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed here for business about a month ago and the people were very accommodating. They were a preferred hotel by my company and when I checked in they had upgraded my room. The room itself was quite nice, it was a 1 bedroom with a large living room and dining nook. The only thing I didn't like was that the area itself was not that nice. It was late summer/early fall so there wasn't much going on at the boardwalk area except for smelly homeless people. The wireless at the hotel worked great though and I certainly would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for the kind review. We’re happy we met your business needs but hopefully you’ll come back, next time for pleasure! The boardwalk and the entire city of Venice for that matter come alive during the summer! We can’t wait for your return.

Until then,

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed at the hotel but we were mainly there to celebrate and host a friend's birthday party at High Lounge and it couldn't have been more perfect..The weather was gorgeous, the views are amazing, the food was delicious, the cocktails were to die for and the DJ set the right mood. It took very little effort on my part to plan this party because I had it catered through the hotel. The catering staff were very professional and everything went very smoothly and exceeded my expectations. Regarding the hotel stay, the staff were extremely nice (they knew we were there to celebrate a birthday and sent us up a complimentary bottle of wine). The rooms are clean and the location is perfect.. right off the strand. I live in Los Angeles and don't know why I've never been here. Definitely one of my new favorite spots.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing those awesome photos! We’re happy to hear you and your guests had a fabulous time on the rooftop and that the DJ kept the good vibes flowing. We like to make event planning as seamless as possible for our guests and our catering team is full of superstars. Thank you again for choosing Hotel Erwin and we’ll see you next time!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We took my parents to Los Angeles and were so confused about where to stay. Last trip my husband and I stayed in Downtown LA. But this time we got a great deal at Hotel Erwin in Venice Beach. It was a beautiful hotel. Right next to the beach. They gave us a FREE upgrade on both of our rooms. The rooms are trendy and modern with comfortable beds. We walked around during the day and at night we headed up to the rooftop bar. We were two minutes away from Santa Monica. And we were very close to Universal Studios, Walk of Fame and Beverly Hills and Tar Pits. It was wonderful to visit busy LA in the day time and retreat to Venice at night. My husband and I ran in the mornings and passed Muscle Beach and found the beautiful Venice Canals. All in all it was a wonderful place to stay. The staff was super friendly and the valet guys were awesome! We all had a wonderful time! Thank you Hotel Erwin!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank VeronicaTowns

We’re so happy to hear you and your entire family enjoyed your experience with us! Venice Beach is a destination for all ages and you never run out of things to do! The Venice Canals are a hidden gem and make for great running paths. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and we hope you’ll come back for a visit.

Wishing you all the best,

#10 of 36 in Santa Monica
Casa del Mar
Casa del Mar
#3 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!