“Fancy rates for a substandard hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Erwin

Hotel Erwin
Ranked #8 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Eastbourne and London, England
“Fancy rates for a substandard hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2010

We stayed here for 6 unplanned nights after our plane could not leave LA for London due to the volcano. While I in no way expected the Erwin to match the previous fortnight spent in Tahiti, I was pretty disappointed on a number of levels and would not recommend this establishment.
The rate went from 150 to 200 to 270 USD per night over the 6 days because I was told the occupancy rate went up. Every time I had to rebook to stay a few more nights I was made to feel like they were doing me a favour by letting me stay there. I know hotels are a business, but they clearly exploited the accommodation shortage.
Corridors were noisy at night as the revellers from the rooftop bars returned to their rooms. There were two power cuts during our stay so pity the people on the sixth floor having to use the stairs and walk through pitch black hallways. There did not appear to be any back up safety lights at all.
The weekend cleaners pinched a packet of cigarettes from an unopened carton I had bought for a relative. Neither of us smoke so we know this was deliberate. I did not report it to the desk as it is hardly grand larceny, but does not make for a comfortable stay. If I had wanted to store any real valuables, forget it, because the safe door was broken and this, they could not fix. I hid our passports under the carpet behind the bed and noticed an uncovered electrical socket on the wall. This is a safety hazard.
The night we did eat at the tiny restaurant, we found it quite mediocre and overpriced, unatmospheric and cold. The rooftop bar is OK, but they add 20% tips to the drinks before you have even taken a sip. The patrons are not the glitterati of LA, but then Venice Beach is a dump so fair enough.
The one good thing that happened was that we were initially given a room that we found to be occupied when we carried our cases up to the second floor. The occupant was in the shower! The young receptionist did apologise and gave us a 15 dollar voucher for breakfast. Apology accepted and gesture appreciated.
What was completely unacceptable however was when I went to pay for the first night and a different receptionist was very forthright in asking me to donate money to charities that help the many needy people in the locality. My firm 'no' met with a decidedly dirty look. This is appalling as I was a stranded traveller having to pay out for an unexpected hotel stay and I pay UK taxes and I am not responsible for the economic policies of the US which mean there are loads of vagrants on the streets. This just left a sour taste.
The location of Venice beach means that you will be harangued by people asking you for money as soon as you step out of the door. Wearing a new pair of sneakers and having clean clothes is enough to make you a magnet for these people. Some of them are quite nice, but if you are not in the mood or not the type of person to humour them, do not stay in this area.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Benjamin_Malmquist, General Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, 11 May 2010
Dear Mr. Teague,

On behalf of all of us at the Hotel Erwin, thank you for taking the time to complete the recent Trip Advisor Review. I wanted to follow up with you personally, as you are a most valued client and we appreciated receiving your feedback.

First of all, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced with the rate, room noise, power outage, housekeeping service, restaurant experience, and local area occupants. Please accept my sincere apologies as I can appreciate that this was a serious disruption during your visit with us. I have shared your comments with the entire team at the Hotel Erwin. We have immediately implemented procedures to ensure that there are no more instances of unresponsiveness on our part. We are actively pursuing corrective measures so that you will have a better experience, should you give us the chance to earn your future business. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. It is important to us that we use the feedback given to us by our guests as a tool to improve so that we continue to exceed your expectations.

I would also appreciate an opportunity to discuss your stay in additional detail. Please call me directly at at your earliest convenience and I look forward to speaking to you so this matter can be settled to your satisfaction. I can also be reached via email as well if that is more convenient.

At Joie de Vivre Hospitality we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

At Your Service,

Benjamin Malmquist
Hotel Erwin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2010

I booked this hotel via Hotwire & was quite pleased overall. Upon check-in, we upgraded our room to a queen size with partial ocean view. We were on the south side of the 6th floor and our room had a balcony with nice ocean views. We were on the highest occupied floor, and one floor below the roof top bar. The proximity to Venice Beach & the beach walk was excellent, although beware, Venice Beach gets a bit sketchy once the sun goes down. I don't think I would go walking around in the dark near there. We did not eat at the restaurant or try the roof bar as we were in town for a wedding & had many pre-planned events to attend.

The building was very sturdy & quiet thanks to the solid concrete construction. They just don't make buildings like this anymore. The room decor was good, bed was comfortable, with good quality linens & towels/toiletries. It had a 42" plasma TV but we had not much time to watch it. Fully stocked mini-bar. Great 'pod' coffee maker. My biggest complaint about the room was the terribly low water pressure. No idea if it was isolated to our room or hotel wide, but way too weak for my taste. The valets were fast & friendly, which I would expect for the $28/night parking charge. Only one elevator serving the guest rooms meant wait times could be long, and could get really ugly if the hotel was full, which it was not.

Now for what bothered me. The morning we were leaving, Sunday, 4-18-2010, there were several power outages. The first few lasted less than one minute, and I didn't think much about it. We go to the elevator on our way to check out & see that it is out of service. A staff member advised us to take the service elevator. Just as we were about to get in, the power went out again but this time it did not come back on. So we headed to the stairwell & began to walk down. Much to my surprise there was no emergency lighting in the stairwell & it was pitch black. I don't know what the building codes are in California, but where I live in Chicago they have such strict codes for hotels & office buildings concerning emergency lighting in stairwells, I was really shocked by the lack. When we got to the lobby, we learned the situation was due to the city doing work nearby. I totally know the outage was not the hotel's fault, but my advice would be to figure out an emergency lighting option asap for the stairwells. It was extremely unnerving to have to walk down 6 floors in total darkness & not to mention a huge liability. The staff didn't seem to have any flash lights either. And it was a good thing we didn't take the service elevator as someone was stuck in it when the power failed. Yikes! Talk about timing is everything...One minute earlier & I would have been in there. I was on my way to the wedding that morning. I think the bride would not have been too happy if her maid of honor was trapped in an elevator!!

Power outage & scary stairwells notwithstanding, I really did enjoy my stay at the Erwin.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2010

We had two totally different experiences during one stay at the Erwin. Our first room needed to be updated...The sliding door did not completely close off the toilet, shower area - leaving a desire for privacy. The TV remote didn't work. The room was very small. Then, I told the desk about the remote and suddenly they offered a suite to us for our last night because the TV was broken and so the remote could not be fixed. The suite was lile a different hotel. Modern, updated, complete bathroom with a regular door on it.....So, obviously your experience will depend on the room that you get...The first room had an old TV set and the suite had a flat screen TV. That sort of sums it up...The roof bar was absolutely stupendous...Couldn't have been more a more beautiful view...

1 Thank HoustonHouston
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2010

I loved this hotel. The service was excellent. The bed was really comfortable and I didn't hear too much from other patrons.

The food and service at the restaurant was awesome. After 1 meal there I decided to have all my breakfasts and dinners there.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Sydney, AU
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2010

I stayed here Dec 26 for 2 nights with a friend. It was a lovely surprise, can only imagaine how great it would be here in the summer. The room was unusual but in a good day. Would definately stay here again. Good for couples and young singles

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
St Andrews Fife Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

Married in 2005 on the Podium on Venice Beach we return each year for our anniversery and attend the Muscle Beach tournament on Labor Day. This year will be our 6th time. We discovered the Marina Pacific (as it was then) and never looked back. The Erwin has been re-furbished and last year for our first visit we were not dissapointed. The staff excel and nothing is ever too much trouble. Food is varied and room service good. Clean and very comfortable, we are particularly fond of a long serving cleaner on the 4th floor. Straight out of the door and straight onto the Boardwalk. We hardly venture far as everything we need is within walking distance, but for the sightseers the buses are on the doorstep. See you soon Hotel Erwin. We're coming back.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Stoker1835
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2010

Great place and location stay. Stayed at the Hotel Erwin with my husband our two children aged 11 and 9 and another family of 4 out of location. Great hotel with good facilities rooms were really nice and clean and trendy. Excellent service from front desk and house keeping. Venice Beach a great place to stay and cruise the Boardwalk in the morning with lots of stuff going on with markets and side shows. Only negative point about hotel was the roof top bar which after a long haul flight we were really looking forward to just chilling out up there at night and having something to drink and eat, but were not allowed to with children. Otherwise apart from that would fully recommend to anybody going to Venice Beach California.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Santa Monica
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
#2 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!