“A good recommendation” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Auckland, New Zealand
“A good recommendation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

I chose this hotel based on Trip Advisor recommendations as I was looking for something different to the standard chain hotels. The location is good (very close to the beach and a long-ish walk to Santa Monica). The hotel had an interesting retro vibe, and the roof deck is cool. The staff were friendly and helpful. My only gripe was that the 'free wi fi' is only 'free' if you join their club; which is in turn free but a pain nonetheless. Overall we had a nice stay at the hotel.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Polish first
Lisle, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

THe Hotel Erwin is a fantastic boutique hotel! Less than a block from Venice beach it makes it an interesting place just due to the location. The hotel is in fantastic shape at least the 5th and 6th floors where my wife and I stayed and some friends stayed. They have a rooftop bar that is so cool with great heat lamps and quality servers. There is also a small cafe that serves very interesting dishes, simple but very nice. The burgers and the Mac and Cheese are my top choices. The staff also has some great food choices in walking distance. I am looking forward to coming back very soon.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

I used to stay at this hotel when it was a Best Western. I have to say I preferred it then. Its now very chic and very expensive. They have taken away the inclusive breakfast, shuttle to Santa Monica and the valet parking is compulsory. It's very pretentious (stupid coffee makers) though the art on the wall remains as good as it always was. It was the only room on our 9 hotel vacation where the wi-fi was restricted to members. The room is full of things to buy and one gets the feeling that it's pay-pay-pay.

The new roof terrace is great but very overpriced drinks have a compulsory 18% service charge added. We paid extra for a sea view room but it was very noisy due to the music on the roof.

It can't say its a bad hotel. It isn't. But it belongs in Santa Monica - not the more relaxed Venice Beach.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

After checking-in and entering our room - there was an overpowering odor of "an illegal substance," even though this was supposed to be a non-smoking hotel! Immediately called down to the front desk and was moved to another room. Too bad that this was the first impression we received.

• Stayed July 2010
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

I live in the area and have been to the Erwin a couple times now for drinks on the rooftop. While yes the rooftop has cool views of the ocean and city, the drinks are way overpriced for what this place is. The flow of the rooftop is obstructed by part of the roof, so you just have this round track to find a place to stand while ordering drinks from a plastic bar that looks like it was made out of a trashcan. I would only ever go back if friends were visiting from out of town to show them the view, then take the fun elsewhere. They are trying to be too fancy for dirty old Venice!

Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Benjamin_Malmquist, General Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, 19 August 2010
ccmbgrl,

The entire team was really disappointed to hear that you were unsatisfied with your experience. I would like to extend my sincerest apologies to you on behalf of High Rooftop Lounge. Was there anything that we could do to have you reconsider? I would like to invite you (and a guest) to return to High as my guest. I hope that you would consider the invitation and give the team here a chance to prove that High has great service to go along with a memorable view. If you would like to take me up on the offer, please call me to make arrangements. I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards,

Benjamin Malmquist, General Manager
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

My Husband and I stayed at Hotel Erwin for one night. I took part in their "Ink N Wink" package! The tat came out better than I could have ever imagined. I got a a pretty large one I might add so it took longer than expected. Hotel was very understanding and allowed us to have extended chack out. The front desk concierge-Migel I believe his name was had a very welcoming smile and was very attentive to all requests. The room was great.We had a one bedroom suite. The balcony over looking the boardwalk was amazing. My only gripe was the bathroom, very small although nicly tiled. Fireplace was very easy to operate. They also have a great goody box in the kitchette that had interesting products you don't see in many places. I work in the hotel busniess and have never given a property five stars-but Erwin has one me over! The customer service was the best that I have seen in many years of traveling.Thank you Erwin for a truly memorable stay-I'm not just saying that because I got inked!-)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

Went to LA for business and stayed at the Hotel Erwin in Venice Beach for a change of pace from the hotels near the airport. Turned out to be a great move. The hotel was right near the beach so I was able to go for a run in a scenic setting as opposed to a fitness room on a treadmill. Internet service was satisfactory so I could get work done in my room which faced the ocean. Once work was done I would go to the rooftop bar for a beer to relax. You can't ask for a better "business" trip than that.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Santa Monica
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
#1 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!