“Just not great”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Barbara, California
“Just not great”
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

This is absolutely a 2 star hotel. How it got listed as 3+ is beyond me, it's a motor inn, a motel you see by the freeway on your way through town. That's not to say it was terrible, I just can't think of anything good to say about it. Upon exiting the rickety elevator we were greeted with two young people smoking pot right by our rooms door. They blew the smoke right at us and laughed. It was not a good way to start, the skunky marijuana smell stayed a good while.
The room was ok, it just isn't anything fancy at all. The lobby is a drive up, they have nothing like a nice hotel has. It's perfect I guess if you truly just want to stay the night somewhere comfortable and close to the freeway. But if you're looking for any type of amenity, you won't find it here.
There IS actually a pool. And the wifi is free. Parking is free too, if you're fortunate enough to actually find a spot. Denny's is a 15 second walk across the parking lot. I'm still not sure why it's called "best western plus".? Plus?
Plus what? Minus is more like it here. ;)

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ElleWalters
BWPCarraigeinn, Manager at Best Western Plus Carriage Inn, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
On behalf of our team, I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectation during your recent stay with us.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay
A satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service
to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're not satisfied.

Please accept my sincere apology.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our
Guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're
doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This is the worst hotel in the best western chain I have stayed. The AC was not working. There was lot of repair work going on. The hotel was not clean and staff were very unkind. Though it was near to universal, it was no value for the money we spent.We paid almost 120$ for the room which was not worth it. Also,there was not complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HarithaVegas
BWPCarraigeinn, Manager at Best Western Plus Carriage Inn, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip Advisor. On behalf of our team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. The issues you had experience during your stay is not the standard for our hotel and therefore it is disappointing to hear about your stay. These issues noted have been addressed with our staff to ensure a better experience for all of our guests. I also apologize about the problems with the air conditioning not working which was a result of an electrical issue which has since been corrected. Our first priority is the overall satisfaction of our guests and it is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide a superior customer service.

Please feel to contact us directly with any questions or concerns you may have at 818-787-2300.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Carriage Inn
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I always stay at this hotel when on business in LA and further north. Being at the junction of the 405 and 101 freeways it offers great communications (depending on the time of travel). Clean and functional bedrooms are fine for business but not glamorous. A good mid range hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Anthony H
United States
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This was much nicer than I expected. I chose it based on it's location to the 405. A quick exit on and off. It reminds me of the old-style motor lodges. I felt it was a reasonably good price, compared to some other hotels I've stayed in that weren't nearly as clean. My only beef, and it's no fault of the hotels, is that a few people woke me up by yelling at night, or talking loud on the phone outside - which tended to echo throughout the complex.

It's a little annoying that tour buses seem to be parked outside all the time I was there. It made finding it initially more difficult, and certainly more difficult getting out of the parking lot into LA traffic.

All staff I encountered were very friendly and helpful. A pleasant change.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank deruo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I frequently visit LA on business and I always stay at this hotel. It offers value for money and a good level of comfort and cleanliness. It is not luxurious or glamorous The staff are always friendly and helpful. There is free parking unlike LAX hotels. It is pretty easy to get into LA, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica and also the Valley (avoid rush hours).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Granbury
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Service was very good as were the rooms. Both check in and out were quick and staff courteous, food @ the Denny's was decent and within walking distance. Will use this hotel again when in the area as it is close to the main freeway system.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here in June this year while travelling across the USA after booking groupon deals for a few best western hotels. This hotel on arrival looked great, the staff were friendly and helpful and we were checked in quickly. The room was large, clean and well appointed, the bed was very comfortable and the large television and fridge were definite plus points. We ate at the Dennys that was on-site and had some excellent meals in there.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple