“No complaints, considerably better than expected.”

Motel 6 Los Angeles Sylmar
Ranked #263 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Brummie in London
“No complaints, considerably better than expected.”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

My brother and I ended up here on our way up from Buena Vista towards Six Flags Magic Mountain. It was a late night find thanks to McDonald's free Wifi just as I was about ready to pass out. Having read the reviews on here, expected the worst but couldn't fault it and ended up staying 5 nights in total and using this as our base for Six Flags, Universal, a self-driven tour of Greater LA and a stop-off before heading up Highway 1.

Two clean, comfortable double beds in a recently redecorated bedroom with a good-sized shower-room and decent tv. Paid wifi internet ($3 for 24 hours) was quick and secure.

Didn't use the pool, did hear that someone else had their car broken into on our first night (I believe they'd left a skateboard on the back seat) but we had no such problems. Upon arrival around midnight, there was a security guard based near the car-park entrance and so that was where we parked, with nothing left on show in the car: it's basic common sense and what I'd do anywhere.

We did consider checking out and relocating a little closer to downtown for the last couple of nights, but in the end decided against it as we were so happy with the room and it was easier to drive another 10 - 15 minutes than risk checking in somewhere else and not being as happy. Safe to say, we'd stay there again if we were looking to visit the same areas.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank WWEGuy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed 15 July 2012 via mobile

This is my second review on this motel
The reason is that after the first review
I was still in the room
But the longer my family stayed there the more we itched So I decided to go out to the car and get my high intensity flash light so I could look around at the mattress after holding the light for a while
A whole bunch of little clear bugs started to scurrie around
And yes of course I grabbed my family and stuff, got a refund and left
Room 114

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank Richstief

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Reviewed 14 July 2012 via mobile

Cockroach was a small one
Only two small towels for three people
Small room
I think I'll pay a little more next time
No wonder it's the only vacancy I could find

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Richstief
DCJim1
Reviewed 19 January 2012

No frills here but very clean room, good bed and lots of room space. I had no problem with the area al all just a little far from where I was spending most of my time. Nice people at the front desk. Clean public area and lots of very good parking. I will stay again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DCJim1
Lawton, Oklahoma
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed for 5 days visiting our daughter. I was hoping for the best and was pleasantly surprised! Our room was clean and smelled good everyday, beds made and it was very quiet. Had a room near the office on bottom floor, no problems and security guard was on duty at night. Walking distance to Denny's and McDonald's. Would stay there again!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank popcrnluvr
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Considering the neighborhood problems, this motel is not bad. You can tell that they are trying. The motel is surrounded by a chain-link fence, and there is a security guard on duty at night. When I saw the disclaimers on the rental agreement, I asked the clerk what sorts of things went on there. He shrugged and gave me a telling look. I said, "I probably don't want to know!" He said, "No, probably not.". (I was just too tired to look further for a better place. I got a room upstairs for more safety, and removed EVERYTHING from my car.)
Pros: clean room & bath; typical small, thin towels, but they were clean; NO BUGS!! (we had fresh fruit from a fruit stand, and the juicy litter from same, and no nasty visitors to help us eat our bounty); attentive management; extra security; very low price for LA; free parking; loud a/c fan (believe me, you want this)
Cons: sketchy neighborhood; REALLY loud road noise (even with the loud a/c fan and a sound machine turned on high, I could still hear the 18 wheelers); separate fee for wi-fi (but unlike another reviewer, I had no problems with the connection); very small room (beds were against the walls. Thank goodness there were no bugs!); no refrigerator; no counter space in bathroom.
Bottom line: I don't expect much from a Motel 6. There wasn't anything about the room itself that would have been a deal breaker. However, my main concern in renting a motel room is that it be safe for me, my family, and also my car. Like I said, the management is definitely tryng to provide this, but I still would not stay here again. We used the wi-fi to find a better room in a better location, (for a whole lot more money!), and checked out the next day.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank An0nM0m
Reviewed 21 March 2011

This hotel is exactly where you need to stay if you want a clean room at a great price. We are driving from Washington to southern california and wanted a good room for the price but from some of the reviews we were a little weary but it has turned out to be a great hotel. Located in a quiet area, and had a dennys next door which was great for breakfast. We are staying in a 2 full bed smoking room which had no bad aroma when we walked in. The only bad part is there is no fridge or microwave, and the shower is a lil small.

• Stayed March 2011