“Average at best”

Ranked #111 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Tustin, California
“Average at best”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We ended up at this property because a pageant our daughter was competing in was held here. Our room was very out dated and unimpressive (room 173). The property looks to need an update in general and it took 4 calls to get extra towels. We ate at the hotel restaurant and the service was very poor and food quality for the price was disapointing as well and they only have 2 high chairs so we had to hold our 2 year old as we ate. After competing on Saturday our daughter wanted to go swimming so we changed and walked down to the pool and after 5 minutes ended up leaving. Pool was not heated nor clean. Was full of bugs and debris and no towels. It really seems to me that no one takes pride in this property and it shows. My recommendation would be to stay somewhere else if you have the option.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Brian_Dunn_1, Guest Relations Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Dear greggfi,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Airtel Plaza Hotel; your feedback is truly appreciated. WE currently have 42 Preferred Rooms that have been complete renovated. We are in the process of starting other renovations on 6 Terrace Suites. We hope you would visit us and give Airtel Plaza Hotel another opportunity in the near future.

Our service is unmatched in the San Fernando Valley. Our Team strives to ensure that each guest request and interaction is met with the highest of expectations. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations over your last stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

Left late for a trip to the Bay Area when tired hit. We were diving on the 5 North and the GPS took us the long way around. Located by the Van Nuys airport, was not a short trip from any direction. That was the annoying part.

Older hotel but was quiet & allowed a nice nights sleep. Price wasn't bad, could've been a few dollars less just for the length of the drive so far from freeway.

• Stayed April 2013
Brian_Dunn_1, Guest Relations Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear Rico517,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Airtel Plaza Hotel; we truly value your feedback and strive to ensure we meet and exceed your expectations.
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel I did not have a rental car. I really needed to go to the nearest drug store, One of their staff member "Felipe" went out of his way to take me there and bring me back. His personality was great and extremely easy going. It may not sound like such a big deal but after flying all day I was just looking for someone to help me resolve my issues. Felipe did just that. Good job!!

Dear Steve R,
Thank you for sharing your experience with Airtel Plaza Hotel. Our Guest Service Agents truly strive to make each Guest’s experience something special and we are happy to hear we did just that.
We hope to see you on your next visit and look forward to offering our first class service!
Marshall, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 April 2013

The Airtel was selected solely on location (i.e., closest to where my husband needed to conduct some of his business), because seriously, when people travel to L.A., Van Nuys is most likely not on the itinerary. We drove up with some trepidation (surrounding area is very industrial) - but encountered a well maintained building with manicured grounds. Stepping inside was another revelation. The lobby area is huge, attractive and inviting - and very clean. The aviation photos / memorabilia / history are interesting and enjoyable. Desk staff were welcoming and efficient. So far, so good. We requested a renovated room and hoped that meant it would be up to date. Opened the door to our first floor room and were pleased with the decor, size, and cleanliness - definitely renovated. Bathroom had a walk-in shower with good water pressure. Ordered extra towels and then headed off to the Landings restaurant for lunch - it was quiet but service was good as was the food. (Towels were in our room when we returned from lunch.) Later that day we headed to the Clipper Club bar (as we would for 4 consecutive days!) to have a beverage, eat, and banter with the SUPERB bartending staff and other guests - all in a comfortable, well designed bar that has lovely ambient lighting (not harsh, bright lights). (There is also a relaxing patio area to eat/drink if you are so inclined, as well as a pool and inviting outside seating areas to enjoy the weather or read a book.) The Airtel obliterated any negative thoughts we had about staying in Van Nuys. Since you have to drive everywhere in L.A. anyway, why not stay in an affordable, clean, hotel with great service (it's right near the 405 so was easily accessible for our travels to other cities for business). Also, the Galleria in Sherman Oaks is a short drive, as is Ventura Avenue for shopping and restaurants.) If I lived in L.A., I would be a regular at the Clipper Club. Who needs overpriced, trendy bars when you can enjoy a top-notch drink at a decent price, served by the friendliest, most welcoming bartenders in L.A.? Can't believe the locals aren't fighting for a spot at the bar! Being right next to the Van Nuys airport was fine with us - we rather enjoyed hearing and seeing the aircraft. It's not as if jumbo jets are landing out there (btw - don't people travel with earplugs just in case they encounter noisy travelers or a busy area? We always have them with us but didn't use them at the Airtel). Paying $10 a day to park was not an issue for us. We were pleased to have off street parking with unlimited in-out privileges. We stay in a lot of hotels - the Airtel is not a 4-star hotel by industry standards, but it was 4-stars to us for comfort, décor, service, and friendliness. The Airtel turned out to be our oasis in the midst of Van Nuys.

Dear wisnat,

Thank you for sharing your wonder experience with Airtel Plaza Hotel. Your details of the service, quality of food and accommodations is what we strive to deliver with every one of our Guests.

Your valuable feedback propels us to offer the best value in the San Fernando Valley. Our service, accommodations and Landings Restaurant sets us apart from neighboring hotels.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope we can be your first choice in accommodations on your next visit to Van Nuys, California.
Glendora, California, United States
Reviewed 12 April 2013

My husband & I registered for a seminar housed at this hotel. To avoid the morning L.A. traffic, we decided to book a room so we could be rested for the eraly morning seminar. We reserved a room with a king size bed, gave our credit card to guarantee the reservation as we will not be checking in until very late. When we checked into the room around 11 PM, we found we had a queen bed. We called to see about getting a room with king sized bed but was told it was all gone. We wound up with very little sleep & frustrated. After the seminar is over. I went to the front desk regarding this situation. The manager, david Gutirrez, was called out. He listened to me patiently & graciously without judgment. He asked what I woudl like, then agreed to my request to reduce the bill by 20%. We had a pleasant time together & he even gave us a tip on a better way to travel back home. This is leadership in action. Bravo, David.

Dear Sin Yi L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of Airtel Plaza Hotel Management. We strove to ensure that each of our Guests is comfortable with our accommodations and we apologize we were unable to meet your expectations at check-in. We are glad we had the opportunity to make up for the inconvenience you experienced and hope that you were stay with us again.

Thank you and we look forward to your next visit.
Myrtle Point, Oregon
Reviewed 9 April 2013

My family loved this hotel! Comfort and quality. When we got off the elevator on the second floor I was almost disappointed when I saw the condition of the walls. Then I realized they were updating and taking off the dated paneling. Good move! The model airplane in the lobby was cool too! The restaurant served up delicious food too, without having to travel through LA to find a restaurant!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank shawna_03
Brian_Dunn_1, Guest Relations Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Dear shawna_03

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with Airtel Plaza Hotel; we sincerely strive to ensure that our accommodations, service and atmosphere are all first class.
We have made numerous enhancements to our hotel over the last few weeks; A new menu features new twist on classic cuisine with farm fresh ingredients, a newly updated fitness center and as you mentioned, improvements to guest space such as the updating of our wall coverings in our guest hallways.
We appreciate sharing your enthusiastic response to our new look and menu and we cannot wait for your next visit. We hope to see you soon!
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 4 April 2013

As an aviation professional, I frequent the VNY airport for business purposes.
My first stay at the hotel was in mid-2010, and I've been coming back ever since.
This family owned hotel has the personal touch that I have never seen duplicated at any Marriott, Hilton, or the like. Warm smiles, hugs, social gatherings and more, are always included in my stay.
I too save my hotel points, however, accumulating AirTel points through their Captains Club puts the cash right in my pocket, either through free hotel stays (which offsets my expenses) or Visa cards!
The renovations continue to impress me. I opt to stay in the un-renovated rooms, simply to save a little $ and because my work requires me to spend most evenings entertaining, so I don't spend much time in the room anyway.
The rooms are clean, comfortable, and most of all QUIET! I prefer the top floor in the tower building.
I entertain my customers in the restaurant which has excellent food (their breakfast buffet is great and I love their Greek Salmon Salad for dinner) and start most mornings at the coffee counter with a vanilla latte, to start my day and give me that extra motivation to spend 30 minutes exercising in their newly renovated fitness lounge.
See you at the AirTel! I highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Anne L
Brian_Dunn_1, Guest Relations Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear Anna L,
Thank you for sharing your experience with Airtel Plaza Hotel. Your descriptions of the service levels, clean, conformable and quiet accommodations you experienced are we strive to deliver.
Our Landings Restaurant and Café is top-notch and as you know, has a new and worldly inspired menu with a focus on local, farm fresh ingredients.
Our Service Team wholeheartedly cannot wait for your next return visit and we’ll look forward to ‘wowing’ you again!