“Humpty Dumpty.....ish”

Ranked #111 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Denver
“Humpty Dumpty.....ish”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

It's a shame. People say don't judge a book by its cover and really.. you can. This dump is in serious need of some repair. Deteriorating interior and exterior. I paid 105 online and was embarrassed to ask for a refund. I felt bad for whomever was trying to run this place.
I stepped back into the 1980's when the hotel was probably at its best and no one knew about the modern world. I stayed in the "newest" part of the hotel and that was sad. Serious embarrassment to my guests traveling with me. It actually looked like the hotel "had" money at one time and decided to forget that hotels are evolving and spend the money. Well.. nothing.. Its obvious it is not a Hyatt or Marriot or even an Extended Stay hotel.
No one cared to apologize for the deteriorating elevators or the lack of rooms service trays from " 1995" sitting in the hallway.

I stayed for a musicianal conference. Everyone was nice but even the employees seemed to subconsciously ignore the fact the hotel was probably on its last leg and they were sucked into an oblivion that they shouldn't speak about.

I saw a steady stream of people trying to file into a small conference room where one server tended to what seem to be a few hundred people.
The 'small town' mentality seem to come from straight out of a low budget 80's horror movie where you'd expect the hotel to be off the freeway in northern Nevada.

All in all; I am tired of dumps trying to feed off consumers. I blew 105 bucks on a nights sleep where I felt worse off than sleeping in my car. Pass and stay a few miles away....... you'll appreciate that.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car.. 10 0r 11 bucks is a better deal.
1 Thank Sammy F
Brian_Dunn_1, Guest Relations Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Sammy F:

I am happy to report that we are currently renovating our guest rooms, including the lobby and other areas in the hotel. It is unfortunate that you did not take the option of asking for a renovated room, as there is a large sign at the front desk that gave you the option to upgrade for a nominal fee.

As far as your comment on a conference room and only one banquet server visible, the musical event was a display of instruments throughout the ballroom. We had several banquet captains and servers monitoring the event in and out, so perhaps with the heavy flow of the crowd, you were not able to see our banquet staff attending promptly to the needs of the event or the organizer of the event.

If you plan to attend the event next year, we welcome you back to the hotel and hope you will notice the many changes that are on schedule. Your vitriolic comments were completely unnecessary and did little or nothing to address your understanding of a hotel that has a firm commitment to continually upgrade what we provide to our guests. However, should you decide to return, you could have two options for your desire to sleep in your car. There’s plenty of free parking on the side streets surrounding the hotel. Or should you prefer, you can park in our secured parking lot that includes camera surveillance. There will be a normal charge of $10 for regular overnight parking. Additionally, should you order from our delicious room service menu, you’ll have to specify an inside or outside tray.

Regards,
Brian Dunn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I've been coming to the Airtel since they opened in 1984. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant is good. The rooms are clean. I travel to this area a lot on business and I can stay anywhere, but I choose the Airtel. It's a home away from home.

Room Tip: I like the tower airport side. It's nice to see the planes land and takeoff.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Brian_Dunn_1, Guest Relations Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear TravelerX157,

Thank you for being such a loyal customer since 1984! We do have a great staff here and I will pass on your kind words to them.

We always try to make our guests feel like our hotel is their home away from home, so it is always great to hear when we do make them feel like family!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to having you visit us again!

Regards,
Brian Dunn
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The Staff , The Food , The Lounge , The Chef are over the top.

Reminds me of a old Hollywood Movie Star hangout like the Sportmans Club in Studio City , I always stay with The Dunns when we are out on tour , great food , great rooms , a staff that goes out of there way to make you feel welcome.

Make sure to have Chef Desi"s Salmon best in The Valley.

No downs just good times with "The Airtel"

2 Thank Snogoer
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a bit dated & not as clean as I prefer, but the night staff were so charming and accommodating it was amazing! Gary the night mgr was excellent & was training new employees who hopefully will be as great as he is. The shuttle really needs a sign up sheet, be warned it's not very reliable. The breakfast is overpriced but does offer some hot food selections. The pool & hot tub were well-maintained. The restaurant offers good food. I stayed in rm 325 with a view of a brick wall. & pool. However I recommend this room as it was relatively quiet, not on the airport side or the highway side. The walls are very thin & the door did not reach the floor & daylight can be seen all around the door, making noise from the hallway very loud. All in all, great night staff, pretty good rooms, a good value. I would stay there again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I recently stayed at the Air Tel while attending a nearby conference. As a frequent traveler, I have stayed in more hotels than I can count, and trust me when I say this one is exceptional. While the decor of the lobby is really cool and the rooms are excellent, it is the people that put Air Tel over the top. Every staff member was so friendly and helpful. I wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else when I am in LA. Air Tel is a rare jewel!

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Coronado, California
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Our family booked this hotel last minute and we were all treated so well! The service and the smiles at the Airtel was the best we encountered throughout our two week trip throughout CA. The rooms were clean and spacious, great bathroom space for our family, we liked the separate sink area away from the shower. The bar and restaurant was not only delightful, but the food was terrific and reasonably priced, and had great comfort food. Pool area was cute and great the see the planes take off as we laid there. We will absolutely stay there again in our next trip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline1129
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Stayed one night at the Airtel. It was the only place available at short notice on the northern approach to LA after it turned out our intended hotel had double booked and did not have a room for us.
Despite the late booking the rooms were reasonably priced and were clean and spacious, no problem getting extra rollaway beds for the kids. Decent sized swimming pool too which was a bonus. In-house restaurant was surprisingly good; saved us the effort of scouting the area for alternatives given our late arrival.
Staff were very helpful in processing the reservation and getting us checked in.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family