“Best Hotel Experience Ever” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Airtel Plaza Hotel

Airtel Plaza Hotel
Ranked #115 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Thornton, Colorado
“Best Hotel Experience Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Yes, I love the sound of planes buzzing overhead and have wanted to stay somewhere near Van Nuys Airport for a long time. I just didn't expect the good food, hanging out in the lounge, cleanliness, and the friendly staff...from desk clerks, wait staff to maids in the hallways. I would choose this hotel for just a get-away anytime.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank doodledooman
Brian_Dunn_1, Guest Relations Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear doodledooman,

Wow, thank you for the positive comments regarding your overall stay. I will definitely pass on your comments about the good food to our Chef and kitchen staff. Since they are behind the scenes, they don't always have a chance to hear from our guests directly. As far as our customer service, we do have a great staff and we also appreciate it when they are recognized by our guests. We look forward to having you again when you return to the Van Nuys area.

Brian Dunn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Korean first
Santa Barbara, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed at the Airtel Plaza to attend a Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association seminar. Did not get one of the newly renovated rooms, but was pleasantly surprised by the quality and especially the cleanliness of not only the room but the hotel in general.

Check-in went smoothly, however upon getting to my room neither of the room keys (key cards) worked. Placed a call to the front desk on the house phone and within 3 minutes a staff member was at my door ready to help.

I can't say enough great things about the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. This will be my "go to" hotel whenever I need to stay in Van Nuys.

Yes, this hotel is in Van Nuys. Technically not Los Angeles as TripAdvisor lists it.

Room Tip: If you love to watch airplanes take-off and land, request a runway view room on the third floor. The...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AmericanFlyr
Dear American Flyr,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts during your stay with us. I am glad to hear your positive comments on the cleanliness overall and our staff. I will be sure to share this with our associates, as it is always nice to know that we are taking good care of our guests. I do apologize about the room key cards not working. We are investigating into this rare occurrence so this doesn’t happen to other guests.

We are thrilled that we will be your “go to” hotel when in Van Nuys. We look forward to having you visit us again real soon!

Gilroy, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Past experience has taught me not to expect anything great from hotel stays. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of room, particularly the bathroom. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay again. Staff were really pleasant too. Most especially the front desk named Gerry.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brian_Dunn_1, Guest Relations Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Miguel143:

We are pleased that you were enjoyed the quality of the room, your stay and most importantly, would return again! I know our staff and especially Gerry will be thrilled that they made your stay memorable. Thank you very much for your positive comments. We all certainly look forward to your return visit.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Obviously, rich world travelers would probably pass this one up. BUT, if you have to stay in the San Fernando Valley, and Warner Center is booked up, this may be the next best choice.

The staff can't be any nicer. My room was spacious and spotlessly clean. I had dinner in the bar one night, red fish chowder, and buffalo wings, and it was good for what it was. The coffee and pastry bar is great if you want a coffee and muffin. I did not try the dining room.

However, on Wednesday nights they had "food truck Wednesday".
That was good fun. Food trucks are quite the rage in LA.

So, if the Valley is a must for some reason, don't blow this one off. By the way, it does serve the Van Nuys Airport, so a little jet noise may be heard, but I like the sound.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear 91436RJI:

Thank you for your feedback on our nice staff and of our spacious and clean rooms. I will share this with the staff, as great service is our top priority. We are happy you had a chance to enjoy the Wednesday Food Truck Night this season and we look forward to starting this popular event again next summer, as the guests have all loved it. We look forward to having you again as our guest should your travels take you to the San Fernando Valley.
Indianapolis, IN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I would likely not have chosen the Airtel Plaza on my own, however we were attending a meeting here so decided to simply stay at the hotel. While the hotel rooms are certainly old and a bit out of date (think old-style televisions and several holes in the walls that were in need of some spackle and paint), things were clean and the beds in our room were comfortable. The separate dressing area in the sleeping area was very helpful and and allowed two of us sharing a room to get ready easily in the mornings without stepping on top of each other.

We also ate three meals here. I appreciated that they let us order full dinner at the cafe and grab it to go - they had it ready very quickly. The breakfast buffet was also tasty. My only food complaint was an extremely rude male server for dinner on Saturday night while we stayed. We were literally the ONLY party in the restaurant and we had specifically asked for separate checks at the beginning of the meal. However, he brought things on one check and when we asked to have them separated, he rolled his eyes and then it took 15 minutes to get the checks. If they had actually had anyone else i the restaurant, we likely would have just dealt with it, but we were the ONLY party he served in over an hour. Most other staff we met were very friendly.

Room Tip: The hotel is right near the airport. We were in a room on the front and never heard a bit of airpla...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Brian_Dunn_1, Guest Relations Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear karamonroe:

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us during your recent stay. Thank you for your positive comment about our clean and spacious rooms, along with our comfortable beds.

I will share your feedback about enjoying all your meals to our chef, as I know he will appreciate it! We always try to provide the best experiences for our guests, so my sincerest apologies for the issue you encountered at the restaurant. This will be addressed with the Food and Beverage Director so to avoid the same situation with any future guests.

We are currently renovating our guest rooms, including the lobby and other areas in the hotel. Next time you are in the Van Nuys Area, please contact me directly and we will be happy to offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our renovated rooms.

Denver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

It's a shame. People say don't judge a book by its cover and really.. you can. This dump is in serious need of some repair. Deteriorating interior and exterior. I paid 105 online and was embarrassed to ask for a refund. I felt bad for whomever was trying to run this place.
I stepped back into the 1980's when the hotel was probably at its best and no one knew about the modern world. I stayed in the "newest" part of the hotel and that was sad. Serious embarrassment to my guests traveling with me. It actually looked like the hotel "had" money at one time and decided to forget that hotels are evolving and spend the money. Well.. nothing.. Its obvious it is not a Hyatt or Marriot or even an Extended Stay hotel.
No one cared to apologize for the deteriorating elevators or the lack of rooms service trays from " 1995" sitting in the hallway.

I stayed for a musicianal conference. Everyone was nice but even the employees seemed to subconsciously ignore the fact the hotel was probably on its last leg and they were sucked into an oblivion that they shouldn't speak about.

I saw a steady stream of people trying to file into a small conference room where one server tended to what seem to be a few hundred people.
The 'small town' mentality seem to come from straight out of a low budget 80's horror movie where you'd expect the hotel to be off the freeway in northern Nevada.

All in all; I am tired of dumps trying to feed off consumers. I blew 105 bucks on a nights sleep where I felt worse off than sleeping in my car. Pass and stay a few miles away....... you'll appreciate that.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car.. 10 0r 11 bucks is a better deal.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sammy F
Dear Sammy F:

I am happy to report that we are currently renovating our guest rooms, including the lobby and other areas in the hotel. It is unfortunate that you did not take the option of asking for a renovated room, as there is a large sign at the front desk that gave you the option to upgrade for a nominal fee.

As far as your comment on a conference room and only one banquet server visible, the musical event was a display of instruments throughout the ballroom. We had several banquet captains and servers monitoring the event in and out, so perhaps with the heavy flow of the crowd, you were not able to see our banquet staff attending promptly to the needs of the event or the organizer of the event.

If you plan to attend the event next year, we welcome you back to the hotel and hope you will notice the many changes that are on schedule. Your vitriolic comments were completely unnecessary and did little or nothing to address your understanding of a hotel that has a firm commitment to continually upgrade what we provide to our guests. However, should you decide to return, you could have two options for your desire to sleep in your car. There’s plenty of free parking on the side streets surrounding the hotel. Or should you prefer, you can park in our secured parking lot that includes camera surveillance. There will be a normal charge of $10 for regular overnight parking. Additionally, should you order from our delicious room service menu, you’ll have to specify an inside or outside tray.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

I've been coming to the Airtel since they opened in 1984. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant is good. The rooms are clean. I travel to this area a lot on business and I can stay anywhere, but I choose the Airtel. It's a home away from home.

Room Tip: I like the tower airport side. It's nice to see the planes land and takeoff.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brian_Dunn_1, Guest Relations Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear TravelerX157,

Thank you for being such a loyal customer since 1984! We do have a great staff here and I will pass on your kind words to them.

We always try to make our guests feel like our hotel is their home away from home, so it is always great to hear when we do make them feel like family!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to having you visit us again!