“Worst stay at a hotel ever!! ”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Airtel Plaza Hotel

Airtel Plaza Hotel
Ranked #114 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Worst stay at a hotel ever!! ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I will start with pros: convenient loaction, nice lobby, restaurant and bar looked nice, close to Burbank airport if you are flying in to that airport, and insolation is good and keeps noice out.

Now for the bad part: we had a 4 day 3 night stay. When we 1st arrived all seemed fine but once we got to the room we started noticing how run down this place is. To start the bathroom was dirty and at first look we found pubic hair in the shower and did not look like it was even cleaned. The dresser was like a 1970's dresser with a bunch of nicks on it and it had a great 27 inch tube tv that made a loud humming noise.
We had to use our towels to place in the dresser drawers just so our clothes would stay clean.
Also the carpet looked very dirty and we had to make sure the kids kept there shoes or sandals on through the entire stay. After the 1st night we started getting the smell of smoke in the room. We opened the windows to air it out while we were gone but that did not help.
The paint was peeling off the wall, the lamp was very dirty and the towel hangers were falling off the wall.
To top it off we were given the same dirty torn towels that we threw on the floor.
We did call and talk to priceline since i purchased it from them and they were not a great help either. The star rating was a 3 1/2 stars and it did not come close to that.
Paking is $10 a night and for location i am not sure why they have a parking fee. I could understand if it was right next to a attraction but it is not.
When i spoke to the reception person it was to late they wanted to move us but it was our last night. It was sad to stay here. There were many more issues at this location and next time i would have rather stayed at a 1 star hotel atleast i would know what i am getting into.
I called priceline once i got back home and let them know the situation again and they called the hotel management and still with no satisfactory solution. It was a waste of money and feel like they dont care about repeat business or word of mouth.
I would never stay here again and i would not recommend it to anyone else.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fernando r
Sean_Olivier, Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Fernando R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your most recent visit to the Airtel Plaza Hotel. I am glad that the location, lobby, restaurant facilities and proximity to Burbank Airport appealed to you. I was disappointed to read about your overall negative experience. Unfortunately my staff was not given the opportunity to rectify these issues to your satisfaction. I am absolutely confident that my staff would have surpassed your expectations in resolving these issues for you, if they had been made aware of these issues in advance. We do hope you will reconsider your decision about staying here in the future. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Korean first
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Mr.Gerry Engary has a good customer service to us, Hes very pleasant n professional on his duty or job .Hes a good asset to your company because of he's service my family is going back here and recommend your hotel to our relatives n friend...

Room Tip: Nope its perfect to us
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank vina f
Sean_Olivier, Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Vina F,

Thank you for sharing the details of your most recent experience with us. I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay. Gary and Gerry will both be delighted to hear that they exceeded your expectations. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Tustin, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Here is a copy of the email i sent to the GM outlining our stay that went unanswered. Beware of this property....

I would like to give you some feedback about my stay at your property this weekend.

I reserved a room for your property because my four year old daughter was completing in a pageant there this weekend. My wife checked us in Friday afternoon and I arrived late Friday night and put the kids to bed. My son who is 8 months old woke up around 5 am Saturday morning and I put him in the stroller and walked around the property and settled down in the lobby and chatted with friends. We were sitting on the landing next to the coffee bar and I had my leg elevated as I suffer from shin splints from running and was approached by one of your staff members and told to put my feet on the ground. Really? I was beyond insulted by that directive, but complied as I was having a conversation with another pageant parent and didn’t want to confront your employee for being so rude and cause a scene. Now fast forward to a little later and I went back up to our room at 7:45 am to make sure that my wife and daughter were up to start the day. My wife was in fact up and informed me that someone from your staff was banging on the door at 6:45 to deliver a refrigerator that we never ordered. Again, really? But again, we let it go as we needed to get ready for the pageant and my daughter needed to be on stage from 9:30-11:30. I went downstairs at 9:00 and asked for a scoop of ice cream for my daughter. It was given to me and I about fell down when I was told that it was $6.50. That is just outrageous! That is more than a sundae at Baskin Robbins or at a St. Regis or Westin Property.

After she finished her participation in the pageant we decided to go swimming. We swam for nearly two hours and when we were finished we went to grab towels and there weren’t any. I called to the front desk from the house phone at the pool and they said they would have some delivered. We waited 10 minutes and still not towels so I walked towards the front desk and your maids were all filing out of the door and I asked one of them if they could get us some towels and one went inside to do so. I stood by the door waiting for 5 more minutes and then she returned and said someone else would be bring them down. Frustrated I went back to the pool and carried my daughter wet into the hotel as I was done waiting for towels and stopped at the front desk and told the manager on duty how disappointed I was in my experience so far this day. The staff member telling me to put my feet on the ground, my wife being woken up at 6:45, the excessive charge for a scoop of ice cream and now having to wait for over 15 minutes to get a towel at the pool. I then walked away and went up the elevator that worked and to my room changed and went to The Grove for lunch and some shopping.

About an hour later I received a text message from one of the ladies who was helping the pageant production and she asked me if everything was ok. She had heard that there was a few issues and I told her I spoke to the front desk clerk about and we were very dissatisfied. I never heard back from her and assumed that one of the parents overheard my conversation with your clerk and mentioned it to her in passing. Little did I know that was not the case…

Saturday night there was a party for the contestants and while I was participating with my daughter I was pulled aside by the Pageant Director and she told me she was approached by one of your managers and told that I was going to be asked to leave the hotel for my rude behavior. I was beyond insulted! Do you know this could have disqualified my daughter? Or been a bigger issue had we not know the director for many years?

Again fast forward to now 9:30 pm and I am heading upstairs with my daughter to use the bathroom and I see a hotel staff member walking behind me holding a tray and he said this is from the Manager. Apparently one of your managers thought it would be a good idea to send a cheese plate, a box of crackers and one bottle of water to my room at 9:30. Had I not been heading up at the same time he would have knocked on my door and woken up one of my children like someone did earlier in the morning. I told the staff member I do not want it and it was insulting and too little too late…

On my way back to the ballroom I stopped and talked to the desk manager who sent it and told him I was now more frustrated and asked him why if they were telling the Pageant Director they were going to kick me out and now 6 hours later why is he sending a cheese plate to my room. He didn’t have an answer. I then just walked away and had no other interaction with your staff during the remainder of my stay and we left very frustrated and disappointed.

We participate in pageants to have fun with our friends and family and staying in hotels and enjoying the amenities are part of it. Your property really fell short this weekend and almost ruined a very special weekend for my daughter as she was one of the top winners.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank greggfi626
greggfi626, Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear greggfi,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review your experience. I will be reaching out to you shortly on the phone number you provided with your initial email correspondence. I look forward to speaking with you soon, and resolving this issue to your satisfaction.
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

They did charge 77 dlls to my credit card so I sent them an email, they apologized and the money was refunded. Everything was OK at this point, I thought: "Well everybody makes mistakes" but a few days later, they did it again! they did charge the same amount 10 days after my stay! This is so annoying!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Esteban G
Sean_Olivier, Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Esteban G,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. Please reach out to me at sean@airtelplaza.com so I may obtain additional details and resolve this issue for you, if it hasn't already been taken care of.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Each and every staff person I encountered at Airtel was friendly and fun to talk to. And very helpful. For me that is the most important feature of any place I stay.

Also, the hotel was just the right size for me. Large enough to have amenities that make travel so much easier -- exercise room, Internet service in the room, restaurant, shuttle service, and swimming pool. Yet small enough to feel homey.

From the Assistant Front Desk Manager Gary M. to the shuttle drivers Eddy, Luis, and Ryan... to the consistently thorough cleaning staff... to the obliging servers and excellent food at the hotel's restaurant and bar... everyone made me feel welcome.

The welcoming atmosphere helped me and my coworkers -- all of us meeting each other and training together for the first time -- relax and enjoy each other's company, and share laughter as well as helpful work information.

Also, Airtel is only about a five-minute shuttle ride from the Van Nuys Flyaway, a bus that travels to and from LAX several times per day and takes approximately a half hour each way.

The hotel is old-school -- it's got a Pan Am airplane on display in the lobby. Technophiles find no RFID cards, no programmable lights in the room, no bells or whistles that the newer hotels in Vegas might offer. For me it has offered a welcome break from gadgetry. If you like a homey, relaxed, friendly place to stay, then I enthusiastically recommend Airtel.

Room Tip: My third-floor room faced a corner wall and a tree. So I had privacy. Also, my room was far enough f...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Joyce G
Dear Joyce G,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience at our property. I was delighted to see that our staff members throughout the hotel exceeded your expectations. We take great pride in providing consistently outstanding levels of service to our guests. We are eagerly anticipating the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to the Airtel Plaza.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We took a middle school group of 70 7th and 8th graders on an overnight trip. First overnight trip for our school, so success and safety were crucial. This hotel and staff delivered!
The hotel rooms were large and clean. Food was good and reasonably priced.
Only disappointing thing was lack of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, which was important for our large group. Several delivery options worked out fine!
Staff was accommodating to our needs, helpful, and friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark N
Sean_Olivier, Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Mark N,

Thank your staying at The Airtel Plaza Hotel, and for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I was very pleased to read that our staff was very friendly, as well as helpful and accommodating. We pride ourselves on exceeding our customer's expectations. We anticipate welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to Los Angeles.
Arcata, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We had to be in Encino, for a few days, with short-notice... we ended up staying at the Airtel by bidding on a room through a discount travel site. I have to say... this was the first time I've been disappointed in the hotel/room we've booked through the discount site - I felt like we overpaid for the room. The hotel is quite dated. The lobby was updated, but the rest of the hotel felt drab and dated. There were security issues; the back doors did not lock, at night, and anyone can enter the hotel - you do not need a hotel key to access the building. The room was large, had a king sized bed, small sofa & work desk. The room was clean, but bathroom was in need of an update (toilet didn't flush properly, tub was dingy.) The rooms were not quiet - you could hear conversations from adjoining rooms & hallways. The airplanes were loud; there was air traffic beyond 11 PM and planes began flying, again, at 7 AM, promptly. They did have a gym - though it wasn't fantastic, it's nice to have access to a treadmill if you want it. Restaurant was clean & food was fine. They do offer room service. There's a $10/day parking fee. Free internet access for hotel guests. Location is within 30 minuets of several Los Angeles tourist attractions & theme parks... but it definitely isn't "conveniently located" near anything besides the Van Nuys Airport.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JCD21
Sean_Olivier, Manager at Airtel Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear JCD21,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I was glad to read that the room cleanliness met your expectations and that you enjoyed your restaurant experience. I am sorry that you experienced an issue with the tranquility of your room and that our hotel was not conveniently located, as it related to your itinerary in Los Angeles. Please feel free to contact me at Sean@airtelplaza.com if you would like to further discuss your stay. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.