“Pleasant Suprise”

Ranked #110 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
SAN FRANCISCO
“Pleasant Suprise”
Reviewed 1 May 2009

I wasn’t expecting a lot for $129 in Los Angeles but this hotel far exceeded my expectations. The rooms were very clean and spacious. The hotel was equipped with a heated Pool, Spa and workout room which I couldn’t keep my kids out of. The Hotel had a reasonably priced restaurant actually a good value considering how good the food was. The best part of our stay was the overall welcomed feeling my family received by the staff; they were just all so helpful and polite,

Can wait to return to the Van Nuys area again!!

Mike D.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank ONTHEMOVE_9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 January 2009

I stay at the Airtel pretty frequently when I am in CA. Overall its a solid price (great value using priceline, $60) and has a nice restuarant and bar.

The rooms are large, with a nice desk area and large bed.

Its right near the Van Nuys airport and close to the 405.

This it not some plush Marriott, but its on par with a Radisson and chains like that.

I give it a a solid 4 stars for the priceline value I get and the nice bar on site.

Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Bowden68
Wichita, KS
Reviewed 20 November 2008

This room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Why would I not give it an above average rating then? Well, the entire hotel is in need of updating. Although my bathroom was clean, it was also pink/salmon with a pink shower curtain to match. The television was the smallest I've seen in any hotel I have ever stayed at - maybe 13 inch. They can also use some tips on professionalism. Also, like someone else said, you will pay for everything else. I ordered room service - fruit bowl, pancakes, and O.J. and it was $27. It was good, but I thought $27 was pretty expensive for what I got. Don't get me wrong, my stay wasn't bad, it's just that the hotel is average. I would probably stay there again if at the Van Nuys airport.

• Stayed November 2008
1 Thank GT6
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 26 October 2008

I have stayed at this hotel repeatedly for both business and pleasure, and found it to be a great value. The rooms are spacious, clean, and nicely decorated, and include a desk and computer docking station. The rooms are quiet, the staff friendly, and the hotel has a great bar, and nice landscaping.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
West Hills, California
Reviewed 23 October 2008

My family was quickly evacuated last week due to the Sesnon Fire. We were not home when they evacuated so needless to say we had no clothes, underwear, toiletries, etc. We waited until 9:00 p.m. to see if we would be allowed to go home but were told that we would not be able to access our home at all. We called other local hotels who quoted us ridiculously high rates, even though we told them we were evacuation victims. The Airtel was so helpful when we called, they quoted us a great rate, supplied us with toothbrushes, razors, toothpaste, soap, etc. They held our room for us while we went to work and even gave us coupons for the breakfast buffet (I have two kids who had to get to school). They simply went out of their way to ease our minds and make us as comfortable as possible. The next day, they held our room until we found out if we were able to go home or not, we were not, so they extended their hospitality to us for another day and gave us breakfast coupons for the next day as well. There were some other evacuated families there as well who had the same great experience that we had. I want to thank the entire staff and management for coming to our rescue in our hour of need and being so gracious and accomodating during a very trying time for our community.

• Liked — Friendly and accomodating staff
  • Stayed October 2008
5 Thank Mimi079
Bristol
Reviewed 4 July 2008

2 night stay in june 2008 , room facing front of building, clean and tidy , bathroom fine , no issues.
usesd bar in evening which was never over busy , comfortable surroundings and reasonable prices for the drinks, eat for one night in Restaurant which was not as expected , the lady who lead us to our table was a little more interested in her private phone call , so she kept us waiting , she took us to our table and sped off, there was only 1 other person in the room, we waited 20 minutes for a waiter to take our requirements, the Tuna which was ordered was awful , it was raw , apparently the Chef advised through the waiter that it was served that way in the Hotel, it was inedible and they did not charge..
Breakfast was Buffet style and was fine , every thing was fresh and the waiters very polite and helpful , they were tipped, suffice to say the previous evening they missed out.
A swimming pool is sited to the rear of the Hotel , very nice ,warm and when we visited plenty of room, there is also a hot tub to enjoy, it is hot so be warned.Right next to the Hotel is the Van Nuys Airport , with private jet planes flying in and out , I can not remember hearing them at night.
It is a pleasant simple Hotel and I would have no hesitation in revisiting in the future.

• Liked — clean , tidy and quiet
  • Disliked — poor service at dinner
  • Stayed June 2008
Waxahachie, Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2008

This is a no frills but good hotel. You can get a great rate but you will pay for any extras. I got a rate of $69.00 through Priceline and that was far below what the other hotels are averaging. You will be charged $10 a day for parking, $3 for internet usage (free wireless though), no provided breakfast, and 1 cup of coffee in maker provided in the room. I also asked for a courtesey upgrade to a suite since none were occupied but was quickly denied unless I wanted to pay.

The hotel itself was very clean and I was impressed that the maintenece staff took as much pride on the outside grounds as they did on the inside. The airport next door is extremely busy and sometimes the small jets were very loud but never noticed the noise during the night. I was usually awakend around 6 or 7 am by aircraft. The two spas by the courtyard were well maintained and the courtyard itself was very nice. The main pool is quite a walk though from the tower rooms. I also believe the tower rooms are much bigger and better for a family. The beds were very nice as well. We never heard noise from any other room but that is usually dependent on who is next to you.

I did not have a problem with the neighborhood. It seemed safe enough and the parking lot was secured nicely with a paid parking attendant. We really did not find any restaurants in the area that we wanted to visit. The area is aging as well as the eating places. If you are flying into LAX and taking the Flyaway to the hotel, get ready to walk. I might walk if I was by myself and carrying a duffle bag. Otherwise, be sure you have transport to the hotel. I am guessing a half of a mile or more.

Getting in and out of the hotel lot was very easy. You are about a mile or two to the 405 and traffic to the highway was never an issue. We visited Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Venice Beach and Universal Studios. It took about 20 minutes to get to Hollywood. Traffic was always heavy but moving. It was actually a nice trip through the mountains.

I would suggest this hotel if you are willing to drive a little. We spent 4 days there and I ended up using a little more than half of tank of gas going to all the places I mentioned above.

• Liked — Affordable
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family