“Double charged me and won't refund!”

Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys
Ranked #146 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Santa Cruz, California
“Double charged me and won't refund!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I made a reservation for one hotel room at this hotel through their central booking application. I received one email confirmation of one reservation. I arrived two hours later and they told me I had two separate reservations. I explained I had only made one reservation. The front desk assured me I would not be charged for the second reservation. They did charge me twice! I have had to spend hours on the phone with the hotel staff and the national customer service trying to get a refund. I love Holiday Inn Express and am a very loyal customer. This has been a terrible customer service experience. Can’t believe no one at the hotel or in the national customer service will take care of this. DO NOT stay at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Leah F
HolidayInn V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Good morning Ma'm, I believe the issue was settled with you because you've confirmed with us that you are disputing the charges. Hopefully this doesn't stop you from staying at other locations of our hotel chains.
And we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Hebrew first
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The location of this property is great because it is right off the interstate.
The neighborhood not so great. I did not feel unsafe, because there were many business (large car dealership) nearby ... but the area was kind of "seedy."
Very much a business/industrial area.
I was very skeptical of the inside quality of this hotel and was pleasantly surprised.
Not only was the decor nice, but it was clean and well managed.
Rosie at the desk was super nice.
There were large sliding doors at the entrance.
Lots of hot water ... great water pressure.
My room was clean and appeared to be recently painted.
There were only 2 towels and 2 hand towels in the room.
The bathroom was small.
There were plenty of outlets and plenty of lighting in my room.
I also could hear the train going by. At first I thought it was an earthquake and then found out that the tracks were a couple of blocks away.
There were 7 floors and 2 elevators.
The bed was super comfortable ... the pillows a bit lumpy.
I asked questions at the desk a couple of times. Everyone was very accommodating ... I also watched other patrons being taken care of.
It was evident that customer service is a priority.
I would stay here again.
: -)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Eulalia_3
HolidayInn V, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
All the good words will be pass on to upper management and will make sure the people that made your stay unforgettable will be mentioned and appreciated.
We greatly appreciate your keen observation of the area, hotel amenities and great people service.
Would be happy to accommodate and see you again.
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We recently spent a week in Los Angeles and chose the Holiday Inn Express in Van Nuys as our home base. It is convenient to the freeway, which though frequently congested is the life blood of LA. The hotel is actually in Panorama City, which is largely populated with hispanics. This was not a problem for us, as we love Mexico and the people who live there. The folks we interacted with in PC were friendly and helpful. Just like they are in Mexico! The lady who ran the desk at the hotel, Rosie, was outstanding. And the gentleman in charge in the evening, Ali, was equally professional, courteous an helpful. The rest of the staff was absolutely charming. If kindness is something you look for in a hotel, the HIE Van Nuys will not disappoint. Our room was clean, appropriately appointed and quiet. And the parking was apparently as safe as Rosie had promised. In an earlier review, someone remarked on the small WC. While it might not have been enormous, it was scrupulously clean and served us well.
Bienvenidos a Van Nuys! jeff

Room Tip: There are numerous mini malls in the area with interesting ethnic food...Mexican, Armenian, Thai , C...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
HolidayInn V, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear JeffLookinatFish,

Our staff appreciates you taking the time to write and remember their names, Rosie and Ali were just outstanding when it comes to customer service they always make you feel welcome and treats you like their own house guest. They were just very kind to assist you with all your needs while working on their shifts.

We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed your room cleanliness and the quiet atmosphere of it.

Thank you for depending our hotel when some of our clients did not like the condition or size of our WC.

Hope to hear from you again.
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I traveled to this hotel with my friends for a weekend getaway. The guy that checked us in was very nice. I believe his name was Jason. There was a problem with the first room we got checked into so we had to switch to another one. Rooms are okay but bathroom was very small. Breakfast was not so great. I think the best asset of this hotel is the staff. Everybody from housekeeping and front desk to general manager were super nice.

If I am in the area again, i will definitely stay here.

Thank you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
HolidayInn V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Nadia A,

When a guest mention the name of the staff, it makes them feel very proud and appreciated.
We wish we could do something for the size of the bathroom and breakfast is pretty much what the standard has to be in the list.
The room you said were ok that makes us feel comfortable although we would like you to love the experience of staying in our rooms.
You made everyone proud of what they do as a service staff-to be called the best asset in our hotel.
From all of us housekeeping to Front Desk to the general manager, thank you so very much.
Kearn, UT
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Not! This was the cleanest place I've stayed in forever! So impressed with room, the bathroom and the staff. Lots of parking and easy on/ easy off to the freeway. Not much nearby, but we stay here when visiting family and it's always quiet and convenient.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
HolidayInn V, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear CjeanG,

One word you left in your review says so much of our hotel and your stay. Being one of the cleanest to all the hotels you've stayed with is such a big word that says too much of this location.

Thank you.
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had a nice stay in LA over Memorial Day weekend. We got to have a great "deli" lunch at Canters Deli and then visited the "Farmers Market" . Had nice room and great breakfast at HI Ex to start each day. Good central location as we went to Santa Monica, Malibu, Hollywood etc. Did all of the tourist things!

Room Tip: Only problem we had was on first night there was a large group of high school kids staying in hotel...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HolidayInn V, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear nhrelp,

So far all the things you found considering our property were all good, great and nice, they really make our staff feel appreciated by you and your family. Thank you so very much. Happy to hear also that you enjoyed and made it to all the touring places close to our area.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience of noise from the group that came one night. Hope this doesn't happen again next time you visit the property.

Again thank you for staying and writing an inspirational review.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I was not very impressed with this hotel. The lobby/hallways remind me of an office building and are shabby, not the cleanest. The hotel is overpriced for the overall hotel and comfort one typically expects from a Holiday Inn Express.

The room was clean and well furnished.

When entering the lobby and walking down the hallways we were a bit leery of what kind of room we would get and if the room would be comfortable. However, the rooms are well furnished and clean with the expected Holiday Inn standard. There was a strange stench in the hallways.

The bathoom is TINY. Access to the sink is difficult as the placement of the toilet obstructs part of the sink area. There is approx 6 inches of space between the toilet and sink. The tiny bathroom also makes dressing after showering difficult if you are sharing a room with someone.

Customer service was good, no complaints. The hotel offered lots of free parking and the hotel is easy to access and locate from the highway.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear 935teresa,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am pleased to know that you found our hotel staff commendable and your room clean and comfortable. Also, I am glad that you have found our property's location adequate for your travel.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience the hallway and bathroom condition may have caused you. We appreciate your feedback as this will be an avenue for us to improve guest services.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us a chance to host you the next time you are in the area.

Best Regards,