“Great hotel by the beach” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Venice Beach Suites & Hotel

Venice Beach Suites & Hotel
Ranked #70 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Stockholm
“Great hotel by the beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

We found this hotel via Trip Advisor and selected it based on the reviews... We found the pictures and the reviews to be accurate, on the positive side! Good service, value for money, nice rooms. After almost 3 weeks of travelling we loved to have a kitchinette in the room, which was a bit on the side and felt like a small kitchen space!

The Ocean Promenade was not what we expected though, but the hotel was a great base to explore the back streets of Venice, including the restaurants and bars which were visited by the locals. Venice is less than 2 miles from Santa Monica, so we were there a few times as well.

Room Tip: We had a room towards the back with a sea view... much quieter since you may not want to have the no...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelers_Solna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

They say first impressions last, and this was so true of this place. The guy on reception (Matt) greeted me like an old mate, and was so helpful, cheerfully answering all my questions and giving advice about what/what not to do in Venice. Location right on the beach, excellent.The room was functional and comfortable, with a kitchenette (stovetop, fridge, microwave) and TV, and ensuite bathroom. My only complaints would be that there was a slight musty smell about it and water pressure was very low in the wash basin, but you kind of expect those kind of things with an older building; also, a bit noisy with the sound of garbage trucks etc backing up and the odd crazy person (there are lots of them in Venice) randomly yelling out at various hours of the day/night. But all-round, good value for money. If you don't come here expecting a palace you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the front (beach side) are probably less prone to noise pollution at ungodly hours, but...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Adzaaahhh
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

This hotel is in a great location. I can see the ocean from my window! The rooms are very small, but I don't come on vacation to sit in my room. The bed is really uncomfortable, I can't wait to sleep in a nice bed again. There is a tiny kitchenette with a microwave and mini fridge which is nice. I'Ve had different experiences with the staff-some helpful, some indifferent, one was really rude. Venice beach is not for everyone. There are a lot of homeless beach bums and gutterpunks all over the place asking for handouts. My biggest problem is the complete lack of parking. Hotel guests use a lot down the street, but it is not always available on weekends and costs extra. You will need a car to get around L.A. All that being said this is a really quaint cute hotel that is a part of the history of Venice beach. I would probably stay here again if I came back to this area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank facesunderground
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

We were spending the last night of our honeymoon at Venice Beach and was not getting to the hotel till 9:30pm. Instructions to get from LAX to the hotel got our Taxi driver confused but we eventually found the place - Instructions on how to get into the building and your room was great - very easy! Room was very clean but small but we chose this place purely for the bed as we were spending the entire day in Santa Monica the following morning and flew back home that night!
There are a few residents in the building and the rest is accomodation - we met the maintence man when we arrived (9:30pm and he was banging and sawing equipment at 11:30pm :( ).
We were able to leave our bags at the front desk all day and the bathroom if we didnt want to use public toilets. Great Location right in the smack of EVERYTHING... muscle beach, paddle tennis, Pier, Santa Monica, Awesome bike hire everywhere with fantastic bikes to hire for the day $20. Everything you need for a short stay!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Rockport, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

A bit hard to spot at first when trying to drive to it, but it was very clean, employees were great , a special thanks to Jasper, who was a tremendous help when there was a mixup with our scheduled tour. quaint, a true part of the atmosphere there, I would stay again, but rooms are very small. Beds could use improving.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ladonnaw
Ubud
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

I was dreading LA. Skipping through LAX on the way out of paradise (Bali) into the Andes, I had the choice to either grit my teeth and stagger around the airport with a large blonde java chip frappucino to add a further 20 hours to my already horrendous 27-hour journey, or venture into Los Angeles to see the damage.
I chose Option B, after seeing Shiva Rea was teaching that weekend at Exhale, and getting myself an appointment on Rodeo Drive to interview the worlds best cosmetic surgeon, so found a home at Venice Beach Suites for a week so I could perv on the muscley guys from famous Muscle Beach and maybe see a dolphin.
It turned out to be the perfect spot - great, sunny room, sweet little kitchen, charming Jasper at check-in, ready to meet my every whim, and charm me with his gorgeousness after a long day puffing about at Exhale.
The best thing about this place is that it opens right into the heart of the Venice Beach strip, affording a wonderful chance to see this fascinating sub-culture of American eccentricity in action either street-side, or from the upstairs balcony.
You can see the weirdness and the beauty of the American idea in full bloom from here: a kind of kaleidescopic view of the fractal interior of the nation - from its middle class power walkers and cyclists, to its street-living poets, drum shamans and lost boys.
I prefer Venice over Hollywood for creativity, expression, diversity, passion, humanity and courage: by far my best day in America was hanging out with Ocean, who sells incense across from the hotel and is in need of a shower and some love and a new good idea, and Abraham, an elder of the street community, who knows how to drum up the cosmic honey.
The seagulls are surprisingly huge!
Best coffee: Groundworks, just around the corner, to the right.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Jade R
New Plymouth, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

I had an overall brilliant experience here at Venice Beach Suites and Hotel. I arrived early in the morning and had to wait for them to open up, though they had a room ready to go so I could get a (very) early check-in! The view from my room was wonderful, a side ocean view from the 3rd floor. Yes, the elevator would be terrifying for those who dont like elevators haha, but it works and there is a staircase! Though my room could've done with a good spring clean, it was tidy and the staff were super helpful. They even looked after my bags after I checked out, for the whole day while I went shopping and for that I am truly grateful. This place is right in the thick of Venice Beach and definitely worth a go if you're looking to add some culture to your trip!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
The Kinney
#4 of 11 in Marina del Rey
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,316 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey

Been to Venice Beach Suites & Hotel? Share your experiences!