“convenient in the middle of everything”

Venice Beach Suites & Hotel
Ranked #72 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Gothenburg, Sweden
“convenient in the middle of everything”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

This hotel is, as everybody say, right at the beach walk. You walk out the door and right into a crazy mess of tourists, locals, bikers, skaters, artists, hobos and marijuana smokers. It's very exciting, it's very fun, but it is also quiet exhausting after a while! I am glad we stayed two nights only.

The hotel staff is as friendly as could be. Very nice and very helpful. Our room was big and convenient, and even had it's own kitchen which we really appreciated. The ceiling in the bathroom leaked, but we don't care. In the reception you get to loan beach toys and boards for free!

This is LA so if you're two steps from the beach it means you are quiet far from the city centre. Rent a bike or be prepared to walk a bit if you want to leave the beach walk, which gets a bit dead after sundown. Abbot Kinnley street and the Main street have the restaurants where you'll find locals.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Loved this place - the room had everything we needed and more, even if the bathroom had an interesting set up! The location could not have been better - so easy to stroll along Venice Beach down to Santa Monica Pier.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan R
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2012 via mobile

I booked this place on Expedia and did not check it out on Trip Advisor. What a mistake. I don't Think i am a travel snob but this place was not for me. Drove there straight from the airport and arrived with high hopes for a three night stay. The room was quirky to say the least very strange setup with a nasty bathroom. Went out for dinner in West Hollywood and dropped my daughter off the stay overnight with her friends. I returned alone to the hotel. Couldn't find parking and eventually found a lot a few blocks away. $20 to park overnight "at my own risk" . Walk back to hotel a little unsettling. The room looked even worse at night. No air conditioning and noisy with the window open. Woke up at 3am and decided this was not the place for me. Cant believe I took a shower in that bathroom. Had to wait until 9am for the office to open. Packed up and loaded the car . Was waiting for the guy to open the office. I told him that I didn't want to stay the other two nights and asked for a refund. He refused saying I would have to take it up with Expedia upon my return. What a jerk. I was so happy to get out of there that I just turned around and left. A thoroughly nasty experience. Stay away from Venice Suites. They have a lot of nerve charging those rates for that kind of place. I am still so upset that I haven't even tried to get a refund from Expedia.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank maimogirl
AndyLayman, Owner at Venice Beach Suites & Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
I am always sad when someones expectations are not meet.

In review of this review and discussions with staff I this I think that this a prime example of one not doing their homework and relying on Expedia and not checking out the hotels web site. With the resources available via the internet/google ect. there is very little reason for one not knowing what they are getting.

We try very hard to accurtately show that we are a Famnily owned and operated, Historic (100 years) old beachfont botique hotel at the heart of eclectic Venice Beach CA and NOT a Beverly Hills Hilton which she had stayed at prior to comming to Venice Beach

I encourage everyone to do their homework prior to traveling.

Happy and Safe Travels
Andy
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This place is funky and charming. Close to everything, so we didn't have to leave to explore the west side. We could watch all the colorful Venetians from the hotel window. The view of the ocean was great. The Santa Monica pier was within walking distance, even though it was a long walk (2.2 miles).

Cute little suite with fridge and sink. No daily maid service, but extra towels are available at the front desk.

The parking is a bit tricky. I would recommend parking on the street - it's free but takes a while to find a spot.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The office is only open until 9, so make sure to address all issues early in the day.

The negative reviews on this site seem to be from folks who are used to homogenous American hotels. This hotel is for those of us who appreciate historical, quirky, charming places.

We would go back in a heartbeat.

4 Thank Paul M
Stockholm
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We found this hotel via Trip Advisor and selected it based on the reviews... We found the pictures and the reviews to be accurate, on the positive side! Good service, value for money, nice rooms. After almost 3 weeks of travelling we loved to have a kitchinette in the room, which was a bit on the side and felt like a small kitchen space!

The Ocean Promenade was not what we expected though, but the hotel was a great base to explore the back streets of Venice, including the restaurants and bars which were visited by the locals. Venice is less than 2 miles from Santa Monica, so we were there a few times as well.

Room Tip: We had a room towards the back with a sea view... much quieter since you may not want to have the no...
1 Thank travelers_Solna
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 July 2012

They say first impressions last, and this was so true of this place. The guy on reception (Matt) greeted me like an old mate, and was so helpful, cheerfully answering all my questions and giving advice about what/what not to do in Venice. Location right on the beach, excellent.The room was functional and comfortable, with a kitchenette (stovetop, fridge, microwave) and TV, and ensuite bathroom. My only complaints would be that there was a slight musty smell about it and water pressure was very low in the wash basin, but you kind of expect those kind of things with an older building; also, a bit noisy with the sound of garbage trucks etc backing up and the odd crazy person (there are lots of them in Venice) randomly yelling out at various hours of the day/night. But all-round, good value for money. If you don't come here expecting a palace you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the front (beach side) are probably less prone to noise pollution at ungodly hours, but...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Adzaaahhh
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This hotel is in a great location. I can see the ocean from my window! The rooms are very small, but I don't come on vacation to sit in my room. The bed is really uncomfortable, I can't wait to sleep in a nice bed again. There is a tiny kitchenette with a microwave and mini fridge which is nice. I'Ve had different experiences with the staff-some helpful, some indifferent, one was really rude. Venice beach is not for everyone. There are a lot of homeless beach bums and gutterpunks all over the place asking for handouts. My biggest problem is the complete lack of parking. Hotel guests use a lot down the street, but it is not always available on weekends and costs extra. You will need a car to get around L.A. All that being said this is a really quaint cute hotel that is a part of the history of Venice beach. I would probably stay here again if I came back to this area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
The Kinney
The Kinney
#4 of 11 in Marina del Rey
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey

Been to Venice Beach Suites & Hotel? Share your experiences!