“The Perfect Beach Vacation!”

Venice Beach Suites & Hotel
Ranked #87 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
worldtraveler0088
“The Perfect Beach Vacation!”
Reviewed 25 March 2010

The Venice Beach Suites and Hotel could not be in a better spot! It is literally on the boardwalk of Venice Beach, and mere steps away from the sand. We were travelling on a budget, so we were trying to get a vacation feel (aka not an airport hotel...) for less money. This hotel is not the four seasons, but it was perfect for our purposes. It was clean, and we felt safe. The room we stayed in had a little kitchen with 2 burners, a sink, a fridge, a coffeemaker and a microwave. We didn't try the burners, but the fridge, microwave, and coffeemaker all worked fine. All the provided dishes, glasses and silverware were clean and in great condition. They don't provide daily maid service automatically, but the service is available if you ask for it, (we didn't use it, we had no problem re-using our towels and sheets for 2 nights! Live green!) The staff was absolutely wonderful - everyone that we dealt with there was friendly, helpful, eager to please, and very knowledgable about the neighborhood, restaurants, transportation, etc. They accomodated us whenever we had a special request with no grumbling and no extra charges (for example, when we got there hours before check-in, they watched our bags in the office and called us on our cell phone as soon as a room was ready, and then checked us in ASAP). Again on departure, we had a gap between check-out time and our flight, so they cheerfully watched our baggage for us again so we could spend a little more time on the beach. They have discount cards for the famous Sidewalk Cafe (also steps away from the hotel) - a small thing, but a nice bonus, and we ate there twice on our 3-day trip.
The hotel is within walking distance of the Santa Monica Pier, and of course, being on the boardwalk, there is great shopping, people watching, and food all around.
We enjoyed our time there greatly - it was a fun hotel with a great "Venice Beach" experience. We have already recommended it to friends and family.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 February 2010

If/When we ever visit LA again this is where we will be staying-no doubt about it. It starts with the staff being so helpful and going above and beyond to help their guests. The hotel was clean and at the beach it is very hard to keep sand off the floor, so it was expected. We stayed for 5 nights and had our room cleaned 1/2 way thru the stay, including linens changed. You walk out the front door and there you are right in the middle of everything, from the interesting characters in Venice, to the shops, to the gorgeous palm trees and the ocean breeze. The oceanfront pretty much closes at night, but you can sit on the porch and take in the air and still have plenty of entertainment. I traveled with my husband, two kids, 21 and 19 and my 2 yr. old grandson and this place offered something for everyone! Thank you Venice Beach Suites for making our first trip to LA so great.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank starlecky
Sacramento
Reviewed 15 February 2010

"To the Manager,

My partner and I stayed in your ocean front room January 1-4, 2010. I wanted to inform you of our dissatisfaction with the room we rented. The positives: The room was spacious and had a wonderful view of the ocean. The bathroom worked well, with a nice shower. The TV and the refridgerator were working. Our complaints stem from the facts which I will list:

1. I was charged over $700 for the three-night stay.
2. We had no parking at the lot I understood was used by your hotel for sending customers to; we were bluntly told, "I have no parking for you. Come back in an hour." This was after traveling from Sacramento from the airport to check into a hotel. Come back in an hour? That was ridiculous. Needless to say, with the guy's attitude and smug arrogance, I didn't give him a dime, during our stay, for parking when there was room. I parked at the lot adjacent to it.
3. There was not a system for garbage disposal, despite there being a kitchenette. We had to call for our garbage to be taken out.
4. The burners did not work on the stove.
5. The water glasses had a rank odor from being left on a rubber mat for so long, they took on the mat's smell.
6. Our room's floor was covered with sand and being there was no maid service the entire time we were there, stayed there until I used a hand towel to mop with (there was no broom or mop available.) We only strolled briefly on the beach and there wasn't sand on our shoes.
7. We had to call for new towels, washcloths for each day we stayed there. We are clean people and we bathe every day. We expected to have daily bath linens provided without having to call for them.
8. The venetian blind on the ocean-vew window would not close completely to allow sleeping in without bright sunshine. I had to insist the caretaker fix it, based on the cost of the room, because he originally told me that was the way it was.
9. Frankly, I am amazed you are still in business, because, we have stayed in Motel 6 hotels, and other economy motels and they provide daily maid service. And, I haven't paid over $700 to stay in their room!

I have not recommended your hotel to anyone who asks, unless they do not care about no maid service and a minimum of services provided. Unless there are drastic changes to the way you run your hotel, we will not stay at your hotel again and I no longer want your advertisements.

Richard A Fox

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank foxman2004
AndyLayman, Owner at Venice Beach Suites & Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2010
First we always try to meet our guest needs at a reasonable price and a rate of $226 per night for a large top floor OCEAN FRONT suite I feel is a very reasonabel price for the New Years weekend.. Parking is always a problem and since we do not own the parking there is little we can do. I have spoken to the attendants about his problem.

In order to keep our rates as low as possible we do limit our houskleeping on the extended stays such as this stay, however the guest can call the office at any time for services needed. We would hve to raise our rates 15-20 % if we provided daily houskeeping.

As for the sand, we are a Historic building built in 1912 out of brick and sand and when the guest return from the beach this only brings in more sand. We will be putting brooms and dust pans in each rooms based upon this guest reccommnends and also we are working on a plan to provide daily housekeeping upon the gurst request.

Finally over 76% of the reviews on Tripadvior rank us very good or excellent.. We try to please everyone.
Troy,Pa.
Reviewed 3 February 2010

Wow! that is all i could think when i saw my room,The kitchenette was fully loaded,bring your cookbooks you might find Mrs. Right I know I did cooked dinner,walked on the beach,proposed THANK YOU!!! Honeymoon in Venice!!!!

Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
traveler
Reviewed 21 December 2009

So it's true that hotels cost more based on location...but I would much rather pay the $99 to stay here than the $85 to stay at some Motel 8 that is ten miles inland. This place is steps from the sand!

We woke up every morning to have coffee on the BEACH. I went with some girlfriends and we had wine on the balcony and watched the California sunset more than once.

I loved the all white bedding and glass door showers...feels kinda European or something. A fun and funky lounge area in the lobby too...pool table, vending machines, etc. Wish they had a microwave down there, but with so many food choices right out your front door you rarely wanted to eat in your room anyway.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank VWlivingthedream
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 14 November 2009

It was great to arrive at Venice Beach Suites, and find our room looked just as it appeared in the advertising, had character, space and a fully functioning kitchenette! Hotel proprieter and staff bent over backwards to be helpful and make our stay pleasant and easy. I loved the location too, all the market stalls and cool and eccentric people! Great coffee at the Coffee Ginder across the road and some good little places to eat closeby. And Venice Beach is a beautiful beach! It is close to Santa Monica and you can get pretty much anywhere by bus. I really enjoyed seeing the working canals - for which Venice Beach - are named for closeby. Very charming! Don't miss the Getty museum/s and La Brea tarpits - fascinating prehistoric archaeological site right in the middle of LA!! Farmer's market also fun and lots of food stalls to choose from!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank annalovestotravel
west coast
Reviewed 4 November 2009

Recently spent the best part of two weeks here and have to say that it was good value and a great location.
Rooms were perfectly adequate for our purposes and the staff were great. Very helpful and friendly, and the beach toys and other stuff was well appreciated, especially by my youngest boy, who also loved the old style elevator.
While it may not be a luxury hotel, it is just the job if you really just want somewhere to have as your base, and with all the attractions that SoCal & LA has, then you probably won't be spending too much time in there anyway!
Area was surprisingly quiet at night, far enough away from any bars or restaurants, but if you wanted to head out for a few beers, then they were only just up the road.
thoroughly enjoyed staying there and would recommend it.
The sheer diversity of folks who hang out there was great to witness too, with even the hobos being polite and friendly.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey
The Kinney
The Kinney
#3 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Venice Beach Suites & Hotel? Share your experiences!