“Cool, retro exterior - ok accommodation”

Beverly Laurel Motor Hotel
Ranked #93 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 13 May 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights in Sept 08 during a road trip of Cali with my husband. I booked the hotel as is very retro and my husband and I are big fans of this style.
When we got there, the room we were assigned to stank of cigarettes, so we asked to change and this was done with minimal fuss. The new room was better, although there definitely was a faint cigarette smell (not my favourite aroma!). The rooms were adequate, although I made sure I kept my shoes on all the time as the carpet actually made my husband's bare foot black. I kid you not.
There is a pool but it seemed to be in permanent shade and I didn't see anyone in it. Looks good in photos though!
There is free parking underground. Not sure why all the other reviewers say it's a nightmare - it was tight, but we had a Chrysler convertible which is definitely not a small car, and we managed fine. My guess is everyone else must be really bad drivers..
The best thing about this place was the Swingers diner next door. Very cool place to have breakfast, with good service, delish granola, lovely fruit salad.
Location was very good - The Grove and the Farmer's Market are nearby which make for a fun evening. There is a FANTASTIC Mexican grill in the Farmer's Market. Think it was called something like Loqueidas. You'll know it as there's always a long queue, but totally worth the wait. There is also a great flea market on Sunday mornings at the local Fairfax high school.
All in all, the place was cheap, service not bad, and great location. It wasn't the cleanest place in the world, but you can't win them all. I would definitely stay here again if it was just for one night. Any more than that and I think I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Beverly Laurel Motor Hotel

Reviewed 9 April 2009

This 50s motel is utterly charming, clean and well run - and great value for money. It's close to the Farmers' Market in West Hollywood - brilliant place to eat - and accessible for the beach, city and hills. My only criticism of this place would be that there were no coffee making facilities in the room, but since there's a great coffee shop /retro burger joint downstairs that seems to open all the time you might, quite reasonable, think this isn't a problem. Parking free.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 March 2009

We usually stay at the Farmer's Daughter on Fairfax but their prices went up so much this year we had to find a new place. We really like the location near the Farmer's Market/The Grove so I was pleased to find this hotel. It is a 10 min walk. The rooms are very clean and they put fresh sheets on the bed every night. The room was very basic. The hotel looks to have been built in the 60's with some upgrades. The bathrooms have been made over but I didn't see any that look like the pictures that were posted. However, everything was very clean. The staff was friendly. It seems that a lot of bands stay here while touring... we were also there due to touring and I had our 6 month old son with us. There are no thrills with this hotel but for the money it was perfect; affordable, clean and close to everything and in a good neighborhood. We got coffee at Swingers in the morning. We never had a problem with parking. There are about 16 stalls in the ramp below the hotel and it is a tight fit however right outside the ramp there are also slots you can pull into. We had a big SUV rental but never had problems parking underground. Their underground ramp was like most underground ramps in Los Angeles. I guess a lot of visitor's aren't used to the cramped parking. No one was ever in the pool but it was clean and nice. Internet was $6 for 24 hours.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank mdrtanner
Reviewed 12 February 2009

For the price, the Beverly Laurel is a great place. I lost my cell phone and the staff was very, very helpful to me. The coffee shop, Swingers, had great organic breakfasts. The bathroom was newly renovated and better than I expected, with good water pressure, large showers and even some marble around the sink. The hotel is basic, there is a small pool and no real lobby. But the location, price, and size of the rooms is great. Walk to the farmer's market and eat breakfast. Also, it's across the street from a great gym - only $15 a session.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank dp_2000NewYork
Reviewed 28 January 2009

Luxury isn't really the name of the game at the Beverly Laurel. This 50-60's style motel is Retro Chic (particularly the AWESOME coffee shop / diner called SWINGERS which is attached). Wait staff provides a hint of hipster 'tude but the food was great and you may spot some C-List celebrities as we did during our stay. Swingers juke-box has the most eclectic music selection ever, ranging from Misfits and Minor Threat to Lee Hazlewood and more!

Rooms were very basic although ours had a kitchenette with fridge & microwave. Our room was fairly clean but the bathroom needs updating pretty desperately, with the shower drain backing up and our tub filling with disgusting black goop. (to his credit, hotel maintenance fellow came to access the situation immediately and worked hard for at least an hour to correct the problem). Pool was small but functional and surrounded by well established vines galore. Free parking was a plus but fills up quick (patrons of Swingers I suppose).

BL's location is key... close to the Grove, Farmers Market (an excellent "must see" adventure in itself...great food, particularly the cajun booth!), Le Brea Tar Pits, etc...

Overall decent value for the money, friendly staff and great location make the Beverly Laurel a winner, so long as you're not expecting high end luxury.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank CoopToronto
Reviewed 6 January 2009

After reading all of the glowing reviews of the Beverly Laurel hotel on tripadvisor and expedia I was pretty optimistic about my selection. On arrival the check in was fast and easy, the desk clerk cordial but not very knowledgeable about the area. We were assigned room 109 and proceeded to park the car. The parking situation is dreadful albeit "free". The hotel has approximately 50 rooms and there aren't even half that many parking spaces available. When you are lucky enough to find an open space the maneuvering needed to be done is pretty ridiculous as the "garage" is extremely small. The open air "alleyway" parking stalls aren't much better as several of them have significant dips that causes the undercarriage of your car to scrape the pavement. The room itself seemed okay at first glance, decently decorated with a king size bed. We must not have been assigned to one of the "remodeled" rooms that others have talked about here earlier. The bathroom was old and in desperate need of repair although the shower was extremely large and big enough for two. We did experience a minor ant problem on two different occasions which seemed to be limited to the bathroom area. The fridge and microwave were ancient and should be replaced. The bed was very comfortable and provided a good nights sleep. With the setup of the hotel you can hear everything that is taking place outside, sirens, voices, doors slamming, etc; earplugs would probably be a good idea. The hotel does have a good location going for it although we did notice several homeless people sleeping in front of stores in the area of beverly and fairfax. We ate at Swingers for breakfast on one occasion, the food and service were good and I would recommend giving it a try. I would probably look elsewhere in the future even though the rate of $125 a night is not over the top. I chose this place over another hotel in the area primarily because of the free parking and would not have if I had known the problems it presented...disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trentonkid
Reviewed 30 December 2008

During a trip to Los Angeles I wanted a place to spend a night in West LA near the Farmer's Market/museums. I picked the Beverly Laurel because of the location and price after reading reviews on TripAdvisor.

I made the reservation through hotels-and-bookings.com, which offered the lowest overall cost, including booking fees. A room with 2 double beds was $95/night + $13 tax.

The desk clerk who checked me in was very friendly and efficient. He mentioned that I had one of the newly renovated rooms (which may explain why some travelers had a negative experience).

The room itself was large and well laid out considering the location. Everything was new and clean with a retro-modern look. Madonna pics instead of bad motel art. The bedroom window faced the courtyard, giving a nice view of the pool area. The bathroom extended the full width of the room on the Beverly Blvd. street side, providing an effective buffer against the street noise when the bathroom door was closed.

A terrific feature of the room was the number of exposed outlets. We travel with laptops and other devices, and often have to to a dance of pulling furniture out from the walls and unplugging lamps.

The television was smallish, just FYI. There was a fridge and microwave in our room. There were also a lot of mirrors throughout the room and bathroom. I suspect the renovations were done with sexy time in mind.

The bathroom had a large shower with one showerhead on each end and a marble seat in one corner. Also, a long counter with a double sink, and some photos of Sharon Stone.

Wi-Fi is an additional $5.95 per device for 24 hours. You need to call down to the desk to get a password. Our one negative experience involved needed to call down after leaving, returning, and forgetting the (complex alphanumeric) password. I think the night clerk got frustrated with our questions about the service. A few minutes after hanging up, he came up to the room in a huff with a password for each of us written on a piece of paper.

Parking in the carport behind the hotel was convenient. There in one elevator in a corner of the building. The pool is small and shaded, probably better for atmosphere than sunning or swimming. You get a real key, rather than a keycard, which increases the likelihood of being able to enter the room on the first try.

Swingers, the diner in the first floor, is awesome. Open until 4am. Great service. Tasty food, a lot of vegetarian and even vegan options. They deliver, so that is a totally acceptable (and reasonably priced) form of room service.

When I checked out, the friendly day clerk was back. Again, very efficient.

Overall, very cute and retro, and a great value.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ErikaMule