“Great location in Westwood”

Royal Palace Westwood
Ranked #112 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Winlock, Washington
“Great location in Westwood”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I had to do an overnight trip to Westwood to apply for a work visa at the Czech consulate. This was by far the closest hotel to the consulate on Wilshire Boulevard, so i decided to give it a try, since the reviews here on TripAdvisor were good. I wasn't disappointed in my choice.
If you are looking for a luxurious and spacious room, then stay somewhere else. If you are looking for a better-than adequate room in a quiet location in Westwood, then stay here! The building itself was probably built near the middle of the last century, but the rooms are modern and well equipped. I stayed in a queen room, and the space was great for one person. The room was not large, but I didn't feel cramped at all. The flat screen TV was easy to watch from the bed, the bed as well as the desk and chair were comfortable. Decent sized mini-fridge and microwave also in the room. The air conditioning unit was not exactly quiet...but not really loud either. It did not keep me awake or prevent me from sleeping. I stayed on the ground floor, which had an enclosed patio with two chairs and a small table. I think the rooms on the upper floors have balconies, which would be an added plus.
The hotel was an easy four block walk from the "Fly Away" bus stop on Kinross which brought me to and from LAX. $10 each way...a deal I would recommend instead of taking a taxi or renting a car.
Upon checking in the hotel clerk was eager to assist me with maps of UCLA and the surrounding area, as well as how to get to the Czech consulate. Outstanding service...above and beyond the call of duty!
The free breakfast was decent, a little better than average. Coffee and cream was always available when I wanted it. Thumbs up!
I really liked the area around the hotel...Westwood Village has lots of shops, restaurants and bars to choose from. The hotel is an easy walk to the UCLA campus as well.
If you need a no-frills place to stay near UCLA, I would recommend this property. I would stay here again, no questions asked. A hidden gem in Westwood. :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2013

A good (cheap!) option to stay in westwood and to be very close to ucla. The hotel is good - not outstanding - but great value for money - and is well located in terms of ucla and even buses for santa monica and downtown. There are stores ( trader joes and whole foods) close by ( some of the rooms have a kitchen so this is a good option) as well as restaurants and bars. Staff were efficient and overall a good place.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Royal Palace for two nights while visiting our nephew at UCLA. It was a decent stay and suited us well- especially for the price.

Within easy walking distance to UCLA, there is also a Peet's and Starbucks only seconds away. Also a Denny's and Noah's bagels. Free parking (if you can squeeze in to the spots) and our room was very quiet.

It was also huge. We chose a suite for the king size bed and there was plenty of room to spread out. Bed wax comfortable too.

Now for the negatives... It was a little mildewy, carpet felt kind of gross, and the shower was just adequate.

But overall it was really fine for a couple of days. i wouldn't go out of my way to stay there, but I wouldn't run from it either. Just don't expect a palace. It's not a dungeon either, but perhaps like a place the serfs might spend a night or two.

• Stayed May 2013
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give your honest feedback regarding your recent stay with us, YES, we are aware that our current internet services are somewhat less than what is to be expected now a days, we are in the process of researching an upgraded service to meet all the demands of not just the current trends (smart phones, tablets etc.) but also what may come along in the near future. As far as the cleanliness and shower issues, we are addressing these issues also, as with all feedback we listen and respond, as if it were not for your honest reviews we may miss an area of opportunity to improve our overall services to our guest.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This hotel was a gold mine for me on a recent weekend trip to LA for a sporting event at UCLA Pauley Pavilion. The price is excellent for that area. The staff is not overly friendly; but not rude in any way. The parking was free. I was concerned about whether or not if I would get one but I did and throughout the weekend I always saw empty spaces. It was within walking distance of Pauley Pavilion and many great restaurants and shops. The college town of Westwood is full of practical things like Target, CVS and Trader Joe's plus a bunch of retail stores, coffee shops and restaurants. I couldn't have asked for a better location. The hotel itself is very small. Our room was clean, comfortable and actually nicer then I expected. The decor was nicely done. The overall look of the hotel from the outside and the common area is low budget but the rooms inside where it counts was well done. There was a refrigerator and microwave inside the room. The daily continental breakfast was great. It was basic but there were some good options to choose from and they kept it well stocked. The room where it's served is pretty small but we always found a seat. I did not use the internet while I was there so I can't comment on that. If you want amenities or upgrades then this is not the place for you but if you are looking for a clean, affordable, well located place to stay this is it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This is a small but comfortable hotel and within walking distance of just about everything you might need if going to an event at UCLA - especially Trader Joe's. Our room was the delight of the stay, even without one with a terrace. Large and comfortable suite. Price reasonable for the convenience to UCLA so we could walk and not pay for parking on campus. The Wi-fi could be better, and the breakfast is not anything to cheer about, but what was offered was fresh. It is an older hotel, so they are limited by space for a breakfast room. I'll take the extra footage in the room, and be a little cramped for breakfast. You can always take it back to your room to eat. The room and bathroom was clean and extra towels were available at the front desk if needed. The 4 stars are because of the problems with wi-fi and the less than satisfactory offerings for breakfast. Other than that, our stay was delightful, and will return if the occasion offers itself again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This hotel is a good price for the area, with a few caveats. The room I had was clean and appeared to have been renovated in the past couple of years, but as a retrofit of an older building, something seemed odd. There was a sort of kitchen area with a microwave. The light over the work table did not work. The internet almost never worked. (My colleague reported no service at all in their room.) We did not try the breakfast based on the description given by the desk attendant. The front desk staff was cordial and provided beneficial advice when asked.

Note: the parking is limited and you might have to leave your keys because some slots require double parking.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank n2history
garybenton@gmail.com
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I work through the Internet, and have been in many hotels in lots of places. The Internet here is one of the worst I've come across anywhere. They've already reset everything, and they say that's all they can do. The staff have not been very helpful or friendly. We won't be back if we can find any better options.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
I am sorry that you encountered technical difficulties during your visit. We had just upgraded our services in an attempt to provide better services, we now cover B, G & N networks, and do not limit speed or bandwidth. I will take a close look at our internal network to see if & what may also need to be upgraded. I will also work with my staff regarding the ability to assist the guest, but we also are very cautious to NOT change settings or connections, we can only offer "LOG IN" assistance to our network, no speed, or down / up load issues. We are NOT techies, but we are willing to assist you to the best of our abilities. Again, I am sorry you experienced internet issues during your visit, it is our goal to provide you (our guest) with the best internet experience possible.