“Nice clean rooms but thats all” 2 of 5 bubbles

Royal Palace Westwood
Ranked #103 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice clean rooms but thats all”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

THE room was large and very clean. Nice beds were comfortable. The only air conditioning is in the rooms. No air in the hallways,office or breakfast eating room. . The parking spaces are so close togather it is very difficult to to open your door to get out. The desk clerks are very rude . When i checked out, the clerk did not say any thing. He handed me my receipt. and that was it.. No thank you, or come back and see us again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Hello..we have reviewed your comments and have made some changes reflective of your comments, for one we have repaired the AC in the breakfast area (there was one already that was working poorly). Yes, parking is at a premium, and as cars have gotten larger, seems our spaces have gotten smaller, and we have also implemented some new incentives along with training to properly deliver exceptional guest services. I am positive that if you were to visit us again you would notice that many of your described issues have been addressed.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

The hotel is acceptable, but in spite of the sign in front of the hotel that proclaims "high speed internet in the room," internet access in the rooms are almost non-existent.

The hotel's name suggest that it will be a grand place, but you should expect "motel." The hall ways are worn down, with marks on the walls. However, the rooms are reasonably nice - large beds and more space than is typical with the cookie-cutter hotel rooms.

The person who took our reservation, Robert, confirmed a king bedded room, but when we arrived we were told that there were only double queens available.

The killer is the internet. It is the slowest internet I have ever experienced in the first world. It equals part of remote Africa for its download speeds.

Too bad, our daughter starts at UCLA in the fall and we were hoping to find a place where we could stay when we would come to visit. Apparently, we will keep looking.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Hi Brad,
I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations during your visit here to UCLA. I wish to take this opportunity to inform you (for the future) that we are in the final stages of approving an interior make-over, including New Hallway Carpets, New Wallpaper, Improved Lighting, We have completed installation of the most updated RFID Key system for Securing your Guest Room. and are also aware of, and addressing our aging Wireless Infrastructure with a soon to be completed Upgrade to the latest Wireless / Internet Technology. I expect all of these upgrades and improvements to be completed by years end, if not sooner. I hope that you will give us another chance to to show how we have (are) addressing your concerns.
El Cajon, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

I made a reservation for one night on Expedia. The hotel was full so Expedia automatically booked me for the first night that was available. Obviously, this was not the night I had wanted to stay. Five days before my room was booked the front desk called and told me that they couldn't run my credit card. I told them that I had never intended to book that night and I was about to cancel the reservation through Expedia 72 hours out. The man cursed me and called me a deadbeat! He said that I had better give him a credit card he could run or he would pursue me through collections. I called back five minutes later and asked for the name of the hotel manager. Front desk told me that they didn't have a manager. Needless to say, I will never book another reservation again. Its employees have no respect for their intended guests, and they have no business being in the "hospitality" industry.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Jeff S, General Manager at Royal Palace Westwood, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
I would like to take this opportunity to address some of your concerns. First, We have a long standing relationship with Expedia, and offer very flexible cancellation policies depending on the type of booking you make. Our policy, as I can not officially speak for Expedia, is to book & confirm rooms based ONLY on availability, we do NOT just book the next available date or room type without YOUR consent. That being said, automatically booking the next available date is not the norm. When booking through Expedia, THEY collect your credit card info, then block a room and send us the details to which we bill Expedia upon your departure. The front desk is instructed to always refer any guest who book through a OTA (Expedia, Booking.com ETC) to contact them directly in order to modify, change or cancel a booking. We CAN only assist guest who book with us directly as in that case WE maintain the records ourselves. So there is NO reason for us to contact you regarding validity of a credit card, Regarding not having a manager, YES, we have a manager, I am usually available during normal business hours, and also after hours for emergencies, all of the Guest Service Agents are instructed to give my contact info, or collect yours for me to return a call. As I was NOT aware of this alleged incident, until this review was posted, I was unable to assist you personally, as is our policy regarding any and all complaints in a timely manner.
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

My wife and I went to LA this last weekend just for fun. Westwood is an ideal location in LA for a good central location to things a lot of tourists would like to see, and it is a charming neighborhood. It is perfect if you have any business at UCLA or its medical center. The hotel is easy to find and close to the 405 express way, a few blocks from Wilshire and Santa Monica. This hotel, like many in central LA, is an older building, but very well maintained with comfortable beds. The rooms are surprisingly large -- the suite we stayed in was probably around 400 square feet -- and the beds are comfortable and sheets are soft. There is a fridge and microwave in the room. Pillows were a little too large for my tastes. The price is good by LA standards and the area is quiet at night. Desk staff were helpful and friendly. The parking is free and convenient (important!!!). Forget the breakfast, though, it is in a tiny little room and consists of coffee like battery acid, some dried out pastry or bread, some Cheerios and related cereals, and an electric automatic pancake maker that is fun to use but which results in an inedible product. There is lots of food in the neighborhood, so seek breakfast there if this is important to you. The AC consists of wall units, but they work well, albeit a touch noisy. WiFi was fast when it worked but seemed a bit intermittent at times.

Adding it up though, I would not hesitate for a second to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Kfar Saba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

We've stayed for one night in march 2013, and were a bit doubtful about a place calling itself " Royal palace", which is really a bit grand, but besides this is a gem in the expensive neighborhood of Westwood. The rooms are spacious, the beds comfy, and even the breakfast has its merits.And all of Westwood on your footstep!
Very recommended!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
west sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

Lovely big rooms, clean, routers in every room so the internet worked. These are almost apartments – with a proper kitchen section.Good auto breakfast (they even have a machine that magicaly produces pancakes) Plenty of shops within walking and Jerry’s deli is only a couple of blocks. We were seeing friends in Los Angeles and this was a great place to relax, get your washing done and spread out a bit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family