“Decent hotel but not happy with Priority Club customer service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express West Los Angeles

Holiday Inn Express West Los Angeles
Ranked #101 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Sydney
“Decent hotel but not happy with Priority Club customer service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

My husband and I booked a King room using our Priority Club points and were quite disappointed when we arrived and were told that all of the King rooms were full and that they only had Queen rooms available. The receptionist said that she couldn't really do anything for us and suggested that we call the Priority Club - that's where the Customer Service got really bad. The gentleman who I spoke with simply informed us that "as per their terms and conditions, they are only obligated to provide a room that accommodates the same number of guests" and that there's nothing else that they could do.

I feel that they could have, at the very least, informed us of the change so that we had the option to cancel our reservation and choose another hotel and that, since we were using points rather than dollars, they didn't really care about providing us exemplary service.

When I got off the phone, the receptionist apologized on their behalf and then offered us free parking (worth $10) for our troubles. Given that it was 7:30pm, we were exhausted and decided to just stay there.

As far as the hotel itself was concerned, we were happy with it - the room was clean and quiet and we enjoyed the free wi-fi and breakfast which was included. Would I stay again? Not likely considering how many options we have in the LA area...but I will commend the front desk staff for doing their best to rectify the situation.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room (away from the main street).
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
Perth, Western Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I have to admit that I was a little concerned about staying in this location, as it's on the intersection of Santa Monica Boulevard and the entrance and exit ramps of the 405 Freeway! But I needn't have worried. Once inside the hotel, you cannot hear the outside noise.

Our room was basic as all HIE's are, but it was very clean and tidy, and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The breakfast offered is basic, but complimentary none the less, and free WIFI is available to all guests. The hotel provides on-site underground parking for only $10 per night.

The location actually makes moving around very easy. There is a bus service leaving opposite the hotel which will take you to Santa Monica Pier for only $1, the freeway is on your doorstep if you are driving, and entry and exit to the hotel is surprising easy.

For a low budget, clean, comfortable and convenient hotel, this is the one!

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hotel are obviously quieter than the front, so just ask. If they have...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Leelee63
SGilliom, Manager at Holiday Inn Express West Los Angeles, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We hope to see you again soon!
Farmingdale, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

I'm from NYC and was here for four nights on business. First of all... it's not fancy. But it's a HIE, so you can't expect fancy. However, I was really surprised by the layout and exact location. It's literally on the corner of the 405 exit ramp and Santa Monica Blvd. AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE DURING RUSH HOUR. It took me an hour to travel ONE MILE on Santa Monica Blvd to get back to the hotel on a Thursday at 6:00 pm and if you turn the corner too fast, you'll miss your only chance to pull into the parking garage, forcing you to have to go around the block and back onto Santa Monica to wait in another 15 minutes of traffic to get back into the garage. Pretty hellacious. I know this isn't the hotel's fault, but if you're going to be driving to/from around that time, you may want to consider elsewhere.
Also, the hotel looks like a parking garage that got converted into a hotel. The outside looks like a building, but the inside (walking to your room) is basically open/outdoors. It's very strange. It feels motel-ish and a bit unsecure. It really isn't unsafe, I suppose, but it just feels strange to technically be outside when you open the door to leave your room.
Unfortunately, I had a room whose windows face the 405 freeway. It was odd to be on the third floor and just see an endless line of cars. Nothing really pretty to look at, noisy during heavy traffic hours and if I had thought of it, I might have requested an inward-facing room, rather than outward.

Also, parking in the garage (which has the most convenient entrance to the hotel lobby, but gets locked after 9pm, charges $10 per day extra.

A few of the pros are that the rooms are clean and they serve some sort of free breakfast in the mornings on the patio/atrium/whatever it's called. You're basically sitting outdoors, surrounded by the hotel walls. I had no issues staying here, but next time I will probably request to stay elsewhere. The location wasn't very convenient for me and again... TRAFFIC IS A NIGHTMARE.

Room Tip: Request an inward-facing room to avoid views of the 405 freeway exit ramp and lots of traffic/noise...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Springfield, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Booked this room for Rose Bowl trip as it's near my daughter's apartment. Hotel is a pretty typical Holiday Inn Express with excellent service and free internet and "hot breakfast". Parking was $10 per day but some other hotels in the area charge as much as $35. It is right off the 405 on Santa Monica Blvd so easy on and off freeway. Our room was clean and housekeeping was good. Plenty of hot coffee and typical HIE breakfast offerings. There were plenty of cinnamon rolls when we were there. :-) Scored an excellent, sub $80 rate, using Lastminutetravel.com. As others have mentioned immediate area surrounding hotel not the best, but far from "dangerous" and other side of the 405 is very high-end. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't overlook freeway or Santa Monica Blvd.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

It has been almost a year since my last visit here and this hotel is better than ever. Clean and orderly, yet comfortable. Friendly and competent staff who are always a pleasure to deal with; plus complimentary cookies, fruit, and coffee at all hours. What's not to love? Convenient access to L.A. events. This hotel is perfect for overnight visits to the city. Breakfast is included and I always look forward to it. If you need a place to stay in L.A., you can't go wrong with this Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SGilliom, Manager at Holiday Inn Express West Los Angeles, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Thank you for this great review! We hope to see you again soon.
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

If you have any reservations about booking this hotel... DON'T! You know that you had an amazing stay when the only thing that you can complain about is a slow elevator. Check in was flawless, the hotel staff was very pleasant. I've stayed at this hotel multiple times and this wasn't the first time I had received impeccable service. Oh, the location is a little rough, but hey, it's LA.

Room Tip: Get a room off of Santa Monica Blvd, you'll get better sleep.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

Just returned from LA - needed to be in UCLA area for a business meeting so decided to book this property as most hotels in Westwood were significantly more expensive. But even with a corporate discount, a standard room at this hotel still cost $125 a night with parking extra. The rate is not super expensive but considering it is a HI Express, it is a bit on the high side. I overheard the front desk talking on the phone saying the regular room rate is $199 and I was absolutely shocked!

Location. I agree with many reviews here the immediate area of the hotel may not appear to be most ideal. This property sits in the middle of a working class neighborhood right by I-405 so definitely not as posh or appealing if you have West Hollywood or Beverly Hills in mind, but it really is not that bad. I decided to try street parking and walked a number of times to my car never even felt once unsafe. Plus the hotel is so close to LAX, Westwood and Santa Monica (each about 5-15 minutes drive away) and there are also a number of shops and restaurants nearby. So convenient that I simply can't fault the location too much.

Hotel facility. Yes the easiest way to enter the hotel is through garage on the side (called Beloit Street) but the main entrance is indeed on Santa Monica Blvd. Once you are in, you will find the hotel to be quite clean and nice. Some reviews mentioned this property looks more like a high end motel which I agreed with due to its layout and building structure but not really a problem for me. I requested a quiet room and was given a top floor double room facing the courtyard. The room is your standard H.I. guestroom with nothing special but it does come with a refrigerator (which many HI Express do not) and a brand new LCD TV. A well-designed desk and sitting area makes the room rather functional. Bathroom is clean and tidy as well. There is also laundry and gym facility on site for guest use. Breakfast is served daily at the courtyard area on the 2nd floor - standard continental breakfast with sufficient food items to choose from. I do wish the breakfast hours can be longer though (6:30-9:30) as it gets very busy from 8:30 on.

A couple issues I had with this hotel. First, the bed is hard and somewhat difficult to have a comfortable sleep. The other problem is that walls are thin and you can hear noise from the adjacent rooms. There was a group of college students checking in during my stay (apparently UCLA had some kind of tournaments taking place) and some of them were quite noisy in the early morning hours. Not much you can do about it but worth considering if you are picky about your sleep quality.

Overall I will give this hotel a 3.5 star rating for the stay and will consider returning again especially if I have meetings in the nearby Westwood area. I normally stay at West Hollywood but find most hotels in that area are either overcrowded with tourists or simply way overpriced in recent years. This hotel will certainly be a good option for me.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business