“Service Has Slipped”

Ranked #68 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
CINCINNATI
“Service Has Slipped”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I recently stayed here for a conference, one that I'd attended three before. Unfortunately it was not as positive a stay as before. Because they didnt have enough housekeeping help, our room was not ready at the 4:00 check in time. They did, however, make it up to us by giving us free wifi, which was nice. The room was as lovely as before, but the public areas are starting to look a bit shabby, particularly the outside furniture, which had cigarette burn holes and tears in it. When it was time to check out, there were not enough bellboys or carts to assist everyone, and some people waited an hour for help. If you are a conference hotel, it seems like having adequate help in all areas should be a given.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the west side, as the view is much prettier.
Green Features: It would be lovely if they offered cans in the rooms for recycle.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Anthony E, Manager at Warner Center Marriott Woodland Hills, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.
We have immediate plans to upgrade the Urban Oasis area; I hope you will see the change in your next visit. Costume College group is a very special group for us. I'm glad you found your room as lovely as always. Please accept my apology for any delay in the Bell Service.
I'm happy what we offered for the shortcomings met your satisfaction.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My wife and I pulled in at around 10:30 PM after a long day of driving from San Francisco and visiting friends in the area. Upon arrival, I was informed that my reservation was cancelled because the credit card on file had changed numbers. Mind you this might have happened about 8 years ago and we have stayed at probably 100 Marriott's around the world with no problem since then. I was told that the property tried to charge the card for a guarantee because of the special rate I was on, but is was declined. The hotel was sold out so there was no room for us to go to. However, Jose and Diana at the front desk asked if we could wait about half an hour because not everyone had checked in yet and they would see what they could do. Jose gave us a key to the pool/jacuzzi area so we could relax and wind down after a long day.

After about half an hour, Jose came in and said our room was ready! Diana also made sure that we received the special rate from the original reservation. What could have been a big problem for us was solved by both Jose and Diane at the front desk, and we thank them greatly for their efforts. We were thrilled to have a room that night, So for my wife and me, we were taken care of by two professionals who went the extra mile.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gohead88
Anthony E, Front Office Manager at Warner Center Marriott Woodland Hills, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for your kind comments about Jose and Diana, they really are Service Stars.
I’m glad we were able to help. We hope to serve you back soon in the near future.
Fresno, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This used to be a decent to good experience for us conference goers every year, but this year we had several problems in checking in for our weekend event, and we were not alone in having problems.

First, when we arrived in the afternoon, most of the rooms were not ready for the conference members. So, the check in staff said they would call us when our double bed room was ready for us. They also told us we could unload our car, but it turned out they had no room for anyone's things since so many were waiting.

We spent some time at the bar waiting and chatting with friends who were also waiting. Eventually, maybe an hour later, our room was available and we were called. We got our keys, unloaded the vehicle, and went up to the room only to find that the room was still a mess from the previous occupants! Definitely not ready. The porter called the front desk, and we went to dinner while they cleaned the room.

The restaurant was slow that night, so it took a 30 minute wait to get our food after ordering. The choices there are very nice and fancy, but I don't eat much seafood, and most of their dinner items are seafood based. I made do with a decent burger.

The rest of our stay, the maid service either arrived early, while we were getting ready for our conference classes, or arrived late in the afternoon. They did a good job, so no complaints as to their cleaning abilities. But their single soap bar was confusing being packaged in cardboard box - when most hotels have it clearly wrapped, and usually provide 2 for hand and for bath. They did quickly provide another upon asking.

Check out was automatic, but the porters were overwhelmed with the many folks who had large piles of items going into well packed vehicles. We didn't have as many items, but one heavy item we couldn't carry was why we ended up waiting 45 minutes for assistance. The drivers and porters were pleasant, but our porter was chatty and explained that we were not alone in finding our rooms undone upon check-in, as one of his guests had a similar issue.

While our overall time at the conference was good, it just soured me when I am used to a far better experience at similar Marriott hotels. I hope our conference group will move their event to a better hotel, as this one needs to improve their experience.

Room Tip: Most rooms are standard. I prefer the ones away from the pool side, as they are quieter when there a...
Green Features: They had 2 water flow options on the toilet, which helps to save water in drought stricken state.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Kimiko S.,
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. Costume College Group is fantastic group with all the unique things they do and show. We do our best to check-in everyone by 4pm. However, almost everyone showed up at the same time. Please accept my apology for the mishap about your room.
I’m glad that you found the Service and food options great. We look forward to serve you and the group in the future. We are addressing your concerns to better serve you in the future. Thanks again for the valuable feedback.
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The lobby and the grounds were nicely maintained, but it was slow to get help from the front desk. View was of the parking lot of the mall next door. Room was standard. The lobby restaurant was quite pricey and dark inside. The indoor pool was large and jacuzzi was working and the gym overlooked the pool.

Room Tip: Ask if there are rooms with a nice view, other than the mall or parking lot.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Bakersfield
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

This place was terrible. End of story. Staff service was ok, but not like the Hilton around the corner. I had an issue with a neighboring guest, and requested for security, but nobody responded. I have heard a lot of repeat guests from here go to the Hilton. Now I see why.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Ryan999Daniels
Santa Maria, California
Reviewed 15 July 2014

First of all, Lobby area is very nice and modern. Check in was quick. Self parking is $17 bucks. Its a walk from the parking garage to the room. Got a room on the 11th floor with the view of parking garage and street. Room was dusty. It looked as if no one had stepped in that room in weeks. It could be a good and bad thing. The appearance is fine but no wow factor. Hotel is close to the Westfield Topanga mall which is good and convenient.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
DC
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Spent July 4th weekend at Warner Center. After reservation mix up at the front desk, the staff person gave me a nice room with upgrades. Classic Marriott brand hospitality and taking care of the customer. There are other competitors in this area of the San Fernando Valley. But I have stayed at this hotel several times over the years and the service is top notch. Some of previous reviews note that the building is aging, dated. But the rooms are clean, location is clsoe to Highway 101, beaches (Malibu), Simi Valley, shopping and points east and west (LAX, (downtown). The hotel staff exhibits trademark Marriott service. Friendly , courteous and professional. Room rate was very competitive.

Room Tip: Overlooking Oxnard Blvd. Room oversaw July 4th firworks in adjacent park. Awesome.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
South San Fernando Valley
Hilton Woodland Hills/Los Angeles
Best Western Woodland Hills Inn
#88 of 351 in Los Angeles
The Anza Hotel
#1 of 3 in Calabasas

Been to Warner Center Marriott Woodland Hills? Share your experiences!