other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Terrible
Other choices: The Bungalow, Spanish Hacienda, Hollywood Loft
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Freyasmew...
Seattle, Washington
“Windowless Space and Endless Rules”
Reviewed 24 July 2016 for a stay in June 2016
people found this review helpful

Honestly, this was probably one of the worst "guest house" (it's more like a large closet attached to the main house)/room rental experiences I've had. To start, I had no idea when I booked the room that it was utterly nonrefundable (you don't even have 24 hours to change your mind) until I received an email from the proprietor asking for even more money. Apparently, hidden in the rules is the fact that you're also responsible for a deposit as well as a nonrefundable $5 charge if using PayPal (which is one of the few options one has).

I emailed the proprietor about the surprise fee and got a very laconic response--no apology that the deposit wasn't more explicitly stated on the site, no warmth. But, I mean, why should she be warm? She gets to keep your money no matter what happens, so there's no reason for friendliness. In fact, you need to abide by an enormous list of rules to not be charged even more! See below.

After I sent my deposit, I received a 4-page-long list of rules one has to follow lest one lose said deposit. It was overwhelming. I had to keep referring back to it throughout the whole unpleasant stay.

Now the room itself: As I indicated, it's a windowless, long room attached to the house. It's described as having air conditioning, but there are no air conditioning controls in the room, and the room was a sweltering heat box when we arrived. We wound up having to sleep with the door open, since that was the only way to get air into the room. Not exactly safe.

Other highlights:

The gate key kept sticking; it took us a while to open it every.single.time.

The steps to the rooms are a bit scary; they run parallel to the driveway and don't exactly make it easy to lug suitcases up and down.

The owner's dog barked from early in the morning on. If you want to be woken up at 8 a.m. by the shrill bark of a small dog, this is the room for you.

The only plus I see to this place is its location. However, I'd gladly stay somewhere else in the valley to not have to deal with the endless rules and other attendant frustrations. I do not recommend staying here to anyone, and I will not be back.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
1 Aug 2016
Can you believe a review from someone who dishonestly posts it on a site she didn't even book it through? This guest actually booked through Expedia, not TripAdvisor.
1st, This guests complaints are due to her FAILURE TO READ THE LISTING.
2nd, I have no control over 3rd party agencies websites, but it is clearly stated they do not collect the SD, which is paid to the host. It also states the amount of the SD.
3rd, all places of business have rules. Only people who have no respect for other people, their home, policies and who do not want to follow them, would object.to common sense rules (such as don't take our keys home with you, don't have unauthorized visitors without advance permission, don't re-arrange all the furniture, etc.) Did I mention all of the rules came about by guests actually doing these crazy things? To allege she was sent a 4 pg. list of rules is another dishonest statement. I assume she was referring to the "Self check-in instructions." Our 4 guest houses on the estate are SELF CHECK-IN, so we have guests arriving from all over the world round the clock. We have had guests knock on our neighbors doors in the middle of the night, walk into other guests units while they were sleeping, etc. so our check-in instructions are detailed for our guests convenience!
4th, she complained about no windows, but better yet there's a sliding glass door that overlooks & steps out to the pool/waterfall patio area. You would never find that in a hotel room!
5th, she complained about the stairs, which by the way, have a hand-rail all the way up. Unless you're elderly or disabled, stairs should not be a problem. And if they are, wouldn't you ask first or at least, view the photos?
6th, she complained about the A.C. when it clearly states the A.C. comes through a vent in the main house (not to mention the temperature during her 2-day stay was 84-98 degrees.) She chose our lowest priced ECONOMY unit.
If she wanted self regulating central A.C., windows, & more SF, she should not have booked our lowest priced economy unit, but instead the Spanish Hacienda or Hollywood Loft guest houses!
Lastly, it is also clearly stated we are "Pet friendly.." If she doesn't like dogs, she should go to a "No pets allowed" rental!
This review is an example of a guest blaming the host for their own failure to read the listing or ask questions before booking.
Toulon, France
Reviewed 4 July 2016 for a stay in June 2016
people found this review helpful

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location close to Calabassas/price
Liked least: Privacy, no independant AC, and mattress
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing