“Good location and great service”

Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West
Ranked #145 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Location may seem rough but community and convenience is top notch. Food of all cultures to be found just around the corner. Staff are very helpful and there is a shuttle service that is available on call to anywhere you wish within 4 miles.
There's free breakfast before 9 and the food quality is more than decent.
Highly recommend to anyone looking for a cheap and quality hotel near the downtown area and city centre.

Banberry
Pierce the heavens!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank aa l
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Not sure why this hotel has a lot of negative reviews. I work in the hospitality industry and stayed in 5 to 3 stars hotels and I'm fully aware of great service and bad service.

Hotel:
Room is clean and checked bed board just in case for bed bugs like stated in a previous review. Of course it was spotless and so was all other areas of the room. Beds and pillows and comfy. Room offers a fridge and enough space for two adults.

Location:
It's located in an area that is highly populated by Latinos and it's a busy area. Yes it's not the glitz & glam but if you have some common sense and consider yourself street smart you will be fine. I walked to the Jack N Da Box at 11pm 1/2 a block away and I was fine. The area offers a lot of Central American restaurants that are very authentic and boy the prices were cheap. Two Thumps Up On This! Also it's 1 block from the Subway for those who want to experience Los Angeles, Hollywood, etc by public transportation.

Service:
Solid and was asked reason for my visit and was given detailed information about area and the like by the Supervisor Aida and her Front Desk Agent. Was welcomed with a warm greeting.

Overall the price cannot be beat. It offers a hotel shuttle and it's within a 5 min drive to Staples Center.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank EL_GQ
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Where do I even begin? I have stayed at holiday Inns before and had a great experience and expecting to have a similar stay, I booked this hotel without doing a little more research and boy was it the worst mistake I have ever made. Not only was it in a very bad area away from anything you would want to come down to LA for, but the staff and the service here is just simply horrible. I checked in and as I usually do in any hotel i stay at, I inspect for bed bugs. I lifted the headboard and saw an infestation of BED BUGS. My coworker had a room as well and when inspecting his room, what do you know, MORE BED BUGS. I was disgusted and didn't want to spend another minute at the hotel. I walked down to the front desk after being at the hotel for no more than 10 minutes and the desk clerk was so rude in a situation where he should have stepped up he was giving me attitude. I asked him to make sure that I would not be billed for a room that I will not be staying in and he said that I would not be charged. A few days later I see a charge on my credit card from the Hotel. When I called to speak to the manager he said that he is not crediting anything back and that there is nothing with the room. Well I have pictures to prove my story. When I mentioned that I was going to write a bad review, he then went on to threaten that he will charge my card again and again and that "HE CAN PLAY DIRTY TOO" Well I don't need him to play dirty because the hotel is dirty enough. All I can say is that if you don't want to go through what I am going through now, DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Fady A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear Fady A,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a candid review.

I assure you bed bugs are not a sanitary issue and IHG takes these concerns seriously. We recommend that our hotels undergo routine preventative procedures to guard against bed bugs. In the event that bed bugs are discovered, we recommend that the hotel's pest control specialists act to ensure that the bugs are eradicated and if necessary, the hotel discards and replaces all affected furniture and linens. Additionally, we recommend the guest room is taken out of service until the hotel is advised that the guest room is pest free. We have located your previous contact to our Customer Care department, and are pleased to see they have been able to address your concerns.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 2 June 2013

the above is quite a statement, I may have stayed in over 100 HIs

the noise in the evening was incredible

management did not bother to respond to any complaints about room not being cleaned

surrounding neighborhood was extremely rough, scary area

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank numberoneson
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Dear numberoneson,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept our deepest apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the poor housekeeping service received, noise challenges encountered as well as the surrounding area which was less than satisfactory. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope to serve you again soon.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I don't like to leave bad reviews but I have to warn people. We arrived at the Holiday Inn Express in downtown LA near the Staples Center and immediately knew that this may not be the hotel we expected. The rooms were clean enough and the hotel itself seemed fine, it was the neighborhood that I had the problem with. The clerk that checked us in offered to have the shuttle take us to our concert that night at the Staples Center. He told us he would give us a number for a taxi to pick us up. The driver dropped us off in the front of the Marriott and drove away. We had no idea which way to go. That's when we looked at the card he gave us and realized it was simply a card for the Holiday Inn we had just left. After the concert, no taxi would pick us up once they realized we were going to the Holiday Inn. I'm not sure why. So we had to walk. This is a BAD neighborhood! It was almost 2 miles back to the hotel. I was scared to death. I just knew we were going to be robbed, stabbed, raped and left for dead. We were less than a block from the hotel and there were two men on the sidewalk, one was urinating and the other was squated down....defacating! I now know I should have gone with my gut feeling and never stayed there in the first place. That night I felt so unsafe. There was actually razor wire around our windows! We left the next day and found another Holiday Inn in a much safer place. I'm not sure how the Holiday Inn could fix this problem.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank SouthTexanGirl
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear SouthTexanGirl,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Gold Member and for taking the time to post your comments. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. I am pleased you appreciated your room accommodation and the condition of our hotel. Please accept our apologies for falling short of your expectations with the service you received and the neighborhood. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to have another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
IHGCare

Reviewed 25 May 2013

We've stayed at Holiday Inns often and I've never had such a Great Friendly Staff!! They couldn't have been better! Accommodation was provided for all our needs. Shuttle to and from Dodger Stadium as well as Staples Center. Rooms were very clean and they had a great breakfast buffet! They really made up for the fact that area was not good! We'll defiantly continue to stay here in the future!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Candie04
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I recently attended a convention at the Los Angeles Convention Center and had a difficult time finding an affordable hotel near the convention location. I widened my search criteria and came across this hotel. As a loyal Holiday Inn Express guest I was willing to overlook the negative comments I'd read on various travel sites about this particular hotel and focus on the positives. I'm glad I did. Everything about my stay, from start to finish, was what I have come to expect from a quality Holiday Inn Express. The front desk staff, particularly Martin and Walter, are the new standard to which I will measure guest service representatives at other hotels. The shuttle staff also did a fantastic job of keeping on track with the schedule and getting myself and other convention guests to the venue in a timely manner (and complimentary to boot). The hotel itself was clean and well-cared for (although a fan in the work-out room would be greatly appreciated I'm sure) and my room was also clean and neat. True, the surrounding area was probably not a great place to go out exploring at night, based on appearances, but I didn't really have the free time to do so. I would certainly stay at this hotel again if I find myself attending another convention in downtown LA.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business