“Don't always judge a hotel by its location”

Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West
Ranked #142 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed on night on points for the location near he staples center for a concert. As I approached the hotel at 3:00 pm to check in, I was nervous. The area seemed a bit rough and run down. However once inside the hotel the staff was friendly and helpful. They informed us of a free shuttle service to LA LIVE ( staples center) and that was a complete bonus. The room was huge and beautiful. I never left the hotel and my daughter and her friend took the shuttle, and I called in for food, as I wouldn't recommend walking or even driving In the neighborhood if unfamiliar. The shuttle service, manager, housekeeping; everyone we encountered was professional and friendly. The kicker was after I checked out and was home, I realized I had left an antique and sentimental ring in the room. I feared the worst. However, the kind and friendly housekeeping staff that greeted us as we left our room turned in my ring. They locked it in a safe and now are sending it to me! Not only was the staff everything listed above, they were ethical! So happy to have honest and trustworthy people working in a hotel. Awesome staff, just awesome!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West

Reviewed 28 July 2013

The hotel was nice but it was located in a place where all the small vendors in the market were. It was scary to walk at night. In fairness, the room was clean. Typical of any holiday inn express hotel. Satisfied but was hoping I could walk to the better part of downtown

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank trixmac
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I was upgraded on arrival to a suite, it is spacious but the decorations is very dull (all brown) and kinda dim. The suite was clean and the staff was nice but the hotel location is not so good. The area is not that clean and nothing to see or do around and even restaurants are scarce and close at 9pm. Breakfast is limited but ok and they provide free parking

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear telerian,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. Our staff always goes out of their way to be helpful and attentive to the guests and we are glad that you enjoyed their hospitality. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with our location and your room accommodation. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
IHGCare

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Location may seem rough but community and convenience is top notch. Food of all cultures to be found just around the corner. Staff are very helpful and there is a shuttle service that is available on call to anywhere you wish within 4 miles.
There's free breakfast before 9 and the food quality is more than decent.
Highly recommend to anyone looking for a cheap and quality hotel near the downtown area and city centre.

Banberry
Pierce the heavens!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank aa l
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Not sure why this hotel has a lot of negative reviews. I work in the hospitality industry and stayed in 5 to 3 stars hotels and I'm fully aware of great service and bad service.

Hotel:
Room is clean and checked bed board just in case for bed bugs like stated in a previous review. Of course it was spotless and so was all other areas of the room. Beds and pillows and comfy. Room offers a fridge and enough space for two adults.

Location:
It's located in an area that is highly populated by Latinos and it's a busy area. Yes it's not the glitz & glam but if you have some common sense and consider yourself street smart you will be fine. I walked to the Jack N Da Box at 11pm 1/2 a block away and I was fine. The area offers a lot of Central American restaurants that are very authentic and boy the prices were cheap. Two Thumps Up On This! Also it's 1 block from the Subway for those who want to experience Los Angeles, Hollywood, etc by public transportation.

Service:
Solid and was asked reason for my visit and was given detailed information about area and the like by the Supervisor Aida and her Front Desk Agent. Was welcomed with a warm greeting.

Overall the price cannot be beat. It offers a hotel shuttle and it's within a 5 min drive to Staples Center.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank EL_GQ
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Where do I even begin? I have stayed at holiday Inns before and had a great experience and expecting to have a similar stay, I booked this hotel without doing a little more research and boy was it the worst mistake I have ever made. Not only was it in a very bad area away from anything you would want to come down to LA for, but the staff and the service here is just simply horrible. I checked in and as I usually do in any hotel i stay at, I inspect for bed bugs. I lifted the headboard and saw an infestation of BED BUGS. My coworker had a room as well and when inspecting his room, what do you know, MORE BED BUGS. I was disgusted and didn't want to spend another minute at the hotel. I walked down to the front desk after being at the hotel for no more than 10 minutes and the desk clerk was so rude in a situation where he should have stepped up he was giving me attitude. I asked him to make sure that I would not be billed for a room that I will not be staying in and he said that I would not be charged. A few days later I see a charge on my credit card from the Hotel. When I called to speak to the manager he said that he is not crediting anything back and that there is nothing with the room. Well I have pictures to prove my story. When I mentioned that I was going to write a bad review, he then went on to threaten that he will charge my card again and again and that "HE CAN PLAY DIRTY TOO" Well I don't need him to play dirty because the hotel is dirty enough. All I can say is that if you don't want to go through what I am going through now, DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Fady A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear Fady A,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a candid review.

I assure you bed bugs are not a sanitary issue and IHG takes these concerns seriously. We recommend that our hotels undergo routine preventative procedures to guard against bed bugs. In the event that bed bugs are discovered, we recommend that the hotel's pest control specialists act to ensure that the bugs are eradicated and if necessary, the hotel discards and replaces all affected furniture and linens. Additionally, we recommend the guest room is taken out of service until the hotel is advised that the guest room is pest free. We have located your previous contact to our Customer Care department, and are pleased to see they have been able to address your concerns.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 2 June 2013

the above is quite a statement, I may have stayed in over 100 HIs

the noise in the evening was incredible

management did not bother to respond to any complaints about room not being cleaned

surrounding neighborhood was extremely rough, scary area

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank numberoneson
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Dear numberoneson,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept our deepest apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the poor housekeeping service received, noise challenges encountered as well as the surrounding area which was less than satisfactory. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope to serve you again soon.

Zelyn N