“Excellent staff!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #125 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
California
“Excellent staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

This was my second stay here (first was September 2013) and both times I was ever so blessed to have Juan the shuttle driver picked me up at Union Station after my train ride. Juan sets the standard for the rest of the staff, who are also friendly.

The hotel is in not the best neighborhood, at least at night. But I felt plenty safe walking around during the day and I'm on old white guy.

The rooms are ok and the hotel is an excellent place to stay if you have business in downtown LA. I'd take the train to LA and call the hotel shuttle to pick you up. Maybe you'll luck out and get Juan as your driver!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Herod L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

This is my second time staying at this hotel, and they have apparently remodeled since I last stayed here a few years ago. We had no problems parking our car in the garage. Check-in lady was courteous and was able to switch our rooms so that we could be next door to our friends who were staying in another room. We were in room 518 and had no problems with the room: the fridge worked well and was quiet; the bathroom was clean with excellent water pressure and nice hot water. We did not try the breakfast. The only downside we experienced was that we used the outdoor jacuzzi when it first opened (at 6am) one morning and the water was only moderately warm (not at all hot-tub temperatures). We weren't sure whether this was because the jacuzzi had just opened for the day or whether this is the normal temperature throughout the day.

The hotel is not in the greatest part of town, but we felt safe driving in/out of the hotel. We would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 5th (top) floor if possible.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank James T
Tustin, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I'm a big fan of the Holiday Inn Express brand, but this property gives the brand a bad name.

Located in a really shady part of L.A., I would not recommend being out past dark.
Outdoor parking is compact and limited. Do not park your car in the parking garage. I had a really bad experience with a leaky pipe that left a hazy white crust all over my car.

Staff was unprofessional and rude. When I arrived, there was a long line in the lobby which was unexpected because it was 10 pm. The lady at the front desk said that she was new and did not know the check in process. So I waited along with the long line of people for someone else to arrive. Finally after about 15 minutes, an employee named Martin arrived in his car. He was very frustrated and short with everyone. He seemed very annoyed and had a really bad attitude.

Hotel room was nicely renovated and clean. Property is actually nice but the staff is horrible. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I will not be back.

Room Tip: Choose a room high up facing the parking lot. Any other room is noisy from street, homeless, drug ad...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Maikolo
Troy, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

There was an odor in both the hallway and the room.
There were no outlets close to the bed, so could not charge my e-reader or phone next to the bed.
The door to the bathroom felt tacky like the paint was still wet, there was a hair stuck to the wall and the tub didn't seem very clean. There was no water pressure in the shower, the tub didn't drain well, and after I was finished taking a shower, there was A LOT of water on the bathroom floor. Had to use 2 towels to sop it up. The water also tasted like it came from rusty pipes when I brushed my teeth. I used bottled water to brush my teeth thereafter.
The wifi access was very slow and sometimes just periodically cut out.
Housekeeping didn't come to my room until 4pm and since the room didn't feel all that clean to begin with, I just told them not to bother.
I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jessica P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Jessica P,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. Please accept our sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

I have brittle bones and find it incredible difficult to travel to a new city and find any place I can feel safe, simply because of how vulnerable I am to damage, at all times. However, the staff and manager, Javier, here have gone out of their way to make me feel safe and never made me feel as if I was burdening them when asking for help with something. Even if they couldn't help directly, they will try to find the answer for you. One time, I had to go out and needed a backpack just for the day and couldn't buy a new one as I was late and the manger emptied and lent me his own personal backpack until I returned.

I also respect how the hotel always appears to be trying to improve their guest experience and paying attention to detail. One time I stayed and the light on one of the elevator buttons was out. I came back a month or so later and they had this fixed. And they had also added the idea of giving guests a little "goodie bag" (water, pretzels/snacks, toothbrush/toothpaste etc) upon checkin. Little details like this show me the hotel staff really care about quality and the manager clearly takes pride in good work ethic.

Room Tip: I've only ever stayed on the 3rd floor but have seen multiple rooms there and always happy with...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ArianaAKS
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Booked this location for one night because it was close to the wedding venue I was attending and to gain some points as an IHG Rewards Club member before heading to LAX the next day. Outdoor parking was free unlike true downtown hotels, which slightly compensates for the high price of $190 with tax for a flexible rate. Checkin by Aida was friendly and efficient although it's more like a motel so there was no offer to help with luggage. There were also a few policemen in the lobby maybe responding to a disturbance, but there was nothing that I could notice.

As a platinum member I was given a large double queen room with kitchenette and also a small bag with chips and water. I certainly wouldn't recommend the hotel for a special occasion as the room was rather dark, but it was clean and spacious if you have a family.

The neighborhood seemed fine during the daytime with lots of people around, but as in any large city I would be more cautious at night especially near the park.

I was surprised that the shuttle service was free to any place within a few miles, and not just to Staples Center. The driver was friendly and dropped me off at the wedding venue at the requested time. After the wedding we went downtown so I just took a cab back to the hotel.

Did not have breakfast, but it's probably quite basic like any HIX. When I woke up there was an express checkout receipt under the door, so checkout was a breeze. I also gained a lot of points for the stay, which largely compensated for the price difference with some of the other hotels in the area. Overall the hotel is nothing special, but I give it an extra star for the friendly and professional service I experienced.

I would only recommend it if you really have to be in this particular area; for tourists other locations would probably be cheaper and closer to the beach, etc. I've stayed in 5 star hotels in Asia for the same price, but that would be an unfair comparison.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

When we arrived (it was before checkin time) We were told our rooms would be ready in 30 mins. 3 hours go buy and check in time has passed and we still dont have either room. The front desk staff was rude and uninformed, i called and spoke with the GM (Javier Barajas) and he was no help and was rude himself. I will be calling and filing a complaint with IHG corporate.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gaurav S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Gaurav S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We apologize for any inconvenience in your check-in process that you experienced. We appreciate you bringing it to our attention, to give us the chance to improve future guests' experiences. We always encourage our guests to let us know right away if there are any issues or needs that they experience during their stay with us.

Ferdinand G