“Good location, average hotel”

Sheraton Universal Hotel
Ranked #119 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Stanford
“Good location, average hotel”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Location to Universal Studios is excellent, a short walk up the hill to the theme park. The lobby area is updated and comfortable with a center bar, check in, and gift shop. The pool was under renovation and not open when we were visited. The rooms were dated, the carpet rippled in the hallway and overall the hotel was in desperate need of an update. Still, the beds were comfortable enough and the room was clean. The hotel is close to the freeway. Some of the floors had problems w/Wifi; while we did not, the Wifi was slow and there is a charge for in-room service. Another charge for the parking garage. We visited for the Rose Bowl and it was a good location for that. Apparently our room key would get us free access to the New Years Eve party going on at the City Walk, but we had other plans ( a $30/pp savings),

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Guest, thank you kindly for your review and please trust that you comments and feedback on the rooms and internet are noted and shared with the managers involved. The location is certainly prime , especially with the park and open mall next door and complimentary entry on special occasions like New Years to the mall portion as you noted. We appreciate your time and hope that you will consider us in your future travels as it would be an honor to be of service again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We checked in, in their beautiful LUXUUUUURIOUS lobby and get in line for the elevator ride to our room. So far, everything seemed fine. Certainly has the look of a 3 1/2 star hotel from the front entrance and lobby. But after stepping off the elevator onto the 10th floor, all the Sheraton splendor and grandeur was left behind. The carpet doesn't look clean and stinks. We were put in a tiny corner room, and had to buy an inflatable mattress for our 17 year old because the requested roll away bed never showed up. After our trip to Universal Studios, we were all feeling sick and feverish, and ended up freezing our *sses off because the heat would not work at all. It was only blowing cool air, so we had to keep it turned off, which then caused another problem. Our noisy neighbors checked in late with children, and for 2 hours we could hear everything they were saying and lots of laughing and commotion that went on until midnight. We had no fan or anything to block out the noise. There isn't even a vent in the bathroom, so if you need to drop a load, everybody in the room will get to smell it! The TV was not HD and hard to see because it was such a poor quality picture. There's no free internet in the room. The only thing you're paying for is a roof over your head, and a bed to sleep on. The only nice thing about the hotel is the maid service. They seem to take pride in their work and straighened up our room very nicely while we were out. As for breakfast, they failed to tell us about the FREE continental breakfast hidden on the 9th floor! It's supposed to be for the elite people that pay full price, so if you use Priceline or Expedia, you won't be told about it. However, your hotel room card will get you in there, and you can eat all you want for free!

Room Tip: Free breakfast on 9th floor. Any room key will get you in there.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank April L
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your feedback and it is disheartening the your visit was marred by several items you mentioned. Comfort and convenience of our guests is what is most important and we are disappointed that this visit did not meet you expectations. Your comments are absolutely shared with the upper management as we can revisit certain areas as needed for improvements or reconsiderations , and we also thank you for the positive praise to the housekeeping team . In addition, the lounge is a great option for continental breakfast and evening appetizers and there is an upgrade fee for entry as well. Thank you again for your comments and we appreciate your time.

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Welland, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Let me start by saying I still don't know all the areas of LA. I think this was a decent location; it was pretty much situated in a touristy area, which I liked. LA is full of characters, so I felt most comfortable/safe when I was in this vicinity vs. some other locations around town.

There is a Universal Studios theme park up the hill. They also have a studio walk or something like that, which is basically a bunch of restaurants, a few shops, and a movie theatre. The studio walk area has a free entrance.

The check-in agent was very friendly, as well as the valet guys.

My room was so-so. When I walked in, I wasn't sure if there had been people sleeping on my beds! Both beds looked a little messy. I wasn't sure if the Room Attendant did a so-so job making the beds, or if people were frolicking around on both of my beds... Picture attached... You can make your own judgement. I did not complain for two reasons:
1. The fellow at check-in was so friendly, I didn't want to complain.
2. I was so tired from traveling across the continent that day, too tired to move rooms, and even too tired to pick up the phone.

I'm not convinced I felt like I was staying in a four star hotel room.
The property's pool was under construction, but we did have access to the pool at the hotel next door.

Getting around: A shuttle will take you during the day and until about 7pm to the top of the hill (the theme park). There's also a shuttle to take you to the bottom of the hill from the theme park. At the bottom of the hill, there is a metro which I used daily. Now I didn't know LA had a subway. I don't recommend it, nor the city bus. I had some bad experiences including witnessing violent behaviour of a passenger, unsavoury characters, and waiting long times for a train to arrive. I would recommend taking a taxi from the hotel or rent a car. I didn't find too many cabs driving by that you can flag down as in other parts of town.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JulesReviews
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Guest , thank you for the feedback and the pictures . We appreciate the time you took to write your review and we are glad the that the service was friendly and made you feel comfortable. Your insights on the rooms are crucial for our future success and you gave us an opportunity to revisit some areas for improvements. We do apologize for the the room condition as we could have done better. Thank you again and we hope to be of service in the near future.
San Jose, California, United States
Reviewed 31 December 2013

At first, this hotel seemed to be a decent hotel with the perfect location, but it didn't take long until I realized how bad my staying experience would be.

After putting kids in the bath tub, my wife told me that the bed size seemed wrong. We booked a room with two queen sized beds, but the beds looked too narrow, like double-sized. Luckily, we had a measure tape, so could easily confirm that we were given the wrong room indeed. Ok, not a big deal. The front desk should be able to handle it in no time.

However, my wife came back looking disappointed after quite a long time. They did exchange the room, but the problem is, she said, it took really long for them to figure out what went wrong, and they were really unfriendly. They didn't even apologize for their fault.

Ok, still not a big deal, we thought. They seem to have a lot of customers today, so it may not be their best day. I went down to check the new room, and it had the right beds this time. But, soon I realized that the room was strangely cold, and the heater didn't work. Only cold air was coming out from the vent.

I went down to the front desk myself this time to talk to the manager. And, wow, my wife was correct. She didn’t bother to apologize and just said “We don’t have any rooms with two beds available right now. I can have technicians check the room.” What can I do? I just made sure they’d take a look ASAP and came back. Luckily, it was fixed in about an hour, and we finally moved to the new room.

If this had been the end of the story, I would haven’t been writing this review right now. The next day, when we came back the to the room after a long day, we found that the heater didn’t work again. :( This time, I knew better than to assume they’d sincerely apologize for the ordeal, so I just brought a small space heater from the car and used it instead.

We’re not living in the perfect world. People make mistakes. They can give customers wrong rooms. Things are broken sometimes. But, what matters is, when things go wrong, you must take the responsibility, sympathize with the customer, and offer sincere apology. Just one word can change the whole impression.

I doubt they’d care about what customers say here though. They have little competition there near the universal studio, and customers keep coming in no matter how bad the staying experience at the hotel is.

BTW, there were other things that were below than average with this hotel, such as weird consistent fridge-like noise throughout the night and old elevators making scary noise and shaking...

5 Thank Jaewoong J
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear Guest, thank you kindly for your time and invaluable feedback. I would like to offer my sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced. I appreciate your interest and extra time you have taken to bring the service matters to our attention. It should not be necessary but, occasionally, I must remind my staff that ours is a people business and there is no room for anything but exceptional service. Please accept my apologies and be assured that the Managers involved are following up on your concerns. I hope that you will consider that your experience was the exception, not the rule. We really pride ourselves on excellent service and your feedback allows us to revisit areas as needed for immediate improvements. It would be our wish that you would be kind enough to give us another chance to regain your trust , and if you travels ever bring you back this way please feel free to reach out to me directly . Thank you again and I wish you and yours a Wonderful New Year.
Fairfield, California
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed here because the rate was better than Hilton and wanted to be near Universal Studios. I found the staff at the hotel to be very nice and helpful. Very friendly in a very busy place. The room was rather standard and the tv kind of fuzzy. Weird no kid channels near a kid friendly park. But the beds were comfortable and met our needs. We must not have been on a busy floor (8th) as we never heard any noise.

But what we loved about it was how close it was to Universal Studios and CityWalk. There was a shuttle that starts at 9:00 and easily takes you back and forth to the City Walk where there are many restaurants. We walked in the morning to Universal Studios as we wanted to get there early. We were told by the hotel how to get there easily and it was about a 5-10 minute easy walk,

Would definitely stay here again if we were going to Universal Studios.

1 Thank XinAn
Dear Guest, we certainly are very close to the park and it makes it very easy to get your day of excitement started right away. Thank you for the kind praise to the Sheraton team, we will definitely pass that on! Your feedback on the room TV and TV selection are noted and will be shared for future considerations. We are always open to hear our guests needs so that we can create the best experience as possible for your trip away from home. We thank you very much for your time and we would be honored to be of service again soon! I wish you a Wonderful Happy New Year!
Modesto, California
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Great location for universal studio's and citiwalk. first of all we were greeted with valet parking everyone was very nice & helpful. We asked to have our bags taken to the room but no bell hope not wanting to leave our bags on the sidewalk we waiting for over 30 minutes & no one showed up so we sleped our 8+ bags up to the room ourselves. second checking in we did not get the room we reserved & front desk staff was not helpful in resolving the problem. The internet was down, and no refrigerator in the room as promised. no pool it was under construction. stains on the bathroom floor & the furniture & beds pretty worn. We would not stay here again even with the location.

1 Thank CND02
Dear Guest , thank you for the feedback. We have certainly noted the service comments you have made and will revisit these areas to assure they are up to par. We are focused on service and it is disheartening to read that we did not meet or exceed your expectations. We appreciate your insights and apologize for the lapse in service. Your experience is certainly an exception and not the rule. We thank you kindly and hope that you would be kind enough to give us another opportunity to regain your trust on another visit. Please feel free to keep me as your contact if you wish.
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Short walk to the park and city walk. Lobby was nice and the staff was great. The room was pretty standard, had a bit of wear and tear. The pool was also under construction.

Would have had 4 Stars if the pool was up and running and if the room was a little less worn.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Capozzination
Dear Guest , thank you for the feedback and we are glad the location and staff made for a nice visit. We noted your comments on the room and will follow up with the teams involved. We are very excited for the pool completion as well. We hope your travels will bring you back this way so you can enjoy all we have to offer!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Central L.A
Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
The Garland
#13 of 350 in Los Angeles

Been to Sheraton Universal Hotel? Share your experiences!