“One of the worst hotel experiences in my life”

Sheraton Universal Hotel
Ranked #135 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I am not sure how to even begin describing my horrible experience with this hotel so let me just number my complaints in order:
1. reservation was wrong and had us booked for 1 king bed instead of two full beds. Did not have a room with two full beds so had to give us room with a rollaway!
2. Room appearance was "distressed" at best with headboards that were peeling and at first glance looked like blood stains.
3. A long letter on the desk explained how they were "excited" to announce that their pool was under renovation so that they may provide their guests with a new experience. How is this exciting for us when our stay is now...not four months from now? Also, all the site reviews I read before enthusiastically booking this hotel, showed the hotels feedback that the renovations were to be completed by the first week of April 2014.
4. The room was dirty and the wall socket in the bathroom was melted and did not work so we could not even plug in a curling iron.
5. The room was layered with dust and there was blue ink pen scribbled all over the headboard and the leatherette chair...it was beyond unsightly.
6. It appeared the room had been taken out of commission and booked to us after they messed up the reservation.
7. I decided to request another room.
8. The only other room available had a 1 x1 foot piece of carpet cut out, and a view of the pool that was frightening. Dark sludge at the bottom of the pool without any attempt to hide the unsightly view that more than 50% of the rooms looked out onto. Unreal for the price of this room. (note that the restaurant also is wall to wall windows that look out to this view and truly ruined out appetites). Twice during our stay, guest service employees stated that the rooms were due for an upgrade and it was "an older property". Funny, the room prices of over $200.00 per night do not reflect the price of an "older property".
9. We decided the horrible conditions of the second room were so much worse than our first room that we went back to it. That evening we realize the heat was also out in our room. It was 50 degrees outside and being from Arizona...we were freezing cold. I realize to anyone from the East coast that this must sound ridiculous but again...for the price we paid, I expected to have air conditioning that worked and I expected to be comfortable.
10. We were told the heat was broken but it would be fixed by the time we returned that evening from a full day at Universal Studios.
11. The heat was still out and we were finally told after a long runaround that they could not fix it but could offer us a space heater. Again...unreal for the price of this room but we took it because we were freezing and they had no more rooms left
12. The space heater they brought up was broken with a melted control. We had to hold down the knob and guess if the heat was on low or high. I called and explained the issue and again requested another room so we could get a nights sleep. They had none. At this point it was 10:30p.m. at night and we were exhausted. They said they were going to send someone from engineering to look at the heat and I told them I did not want someone in my room so late at night. They had all day to fix the heat and failed to do so. My daughter, who was fighting a fever, went to bed and I got in a hot tub to try to warm up and relax.
13. A knock at the door scared my daughter and she answered the door to a custodian who said he was instructed to take away the space heater. My daughter frantically got me out of the tub and through the door I pleaded that this man go away. He refused twice. I finally insisted he leave and I was truly scared and began to feel unsafe and threatened. I need to add that our "do not disturb" sign was on the door when he knocked at 11 p.m at night and refused to leave without the space heater.
14. At one point we ordered room service. I got a bacon cheeseburger. They delivered it without the bacon. Instead of taking the order back and making it right, the room service attendant left telling me he would bring me back the bacon! I kid you not! To make it even more comical...he returned 30 minutes later with the bacon. It was rock hard and cold as ice so they had to have retrieved it from the refrigerator, probably used for their salad bar? I am not sure. All I know is it was dry cold and uneatable. I had a cold hamburger and a plate of cold bacon in front of me. I told him to take it back and forget about it. ( I was offered a $50.00 restaurant credit to use in the hotel to make up for this mistake but they knew we were checking out the next morning and we had already paid for a package that included a free breakfast so there was no way I could use the offer)
I am still fighting to get a refund. Incredible and horrendous.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank 390Michelle100
Sheratonmanager001, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Guest, your concerns are noted and it is disheartening that we did not meet your expectations and we would like to extend our deepest apology’s. We understand that it can be frustrating if your concerns are not addressed in a timely manner as well. We take pride in our room preparations and our service delivery and we are disappointed that you visit was marred. It is only our hope that our valued guests have a wonderful memorable experience and we are glad to assist at anytime with any concerns .Thank you again for your time and feedback and we hope to have the opportunity speak with you directly to further assist.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

After a long and stressful flight I was pleased to be greeted by a very friendly guy on the front desk, which made me and my newly engaged fiancée feel welcomed straight away he asked what our visit was for and as we just got Engaged he gave us free parking for the week which made a difference, these are the little things that make this hotel a great place to stay and I will be returning in the future!
Our room was clean spacious and a great view!
We ordered room service which was surprisingly tasty and not as expensive as most!
The location was great it's literally right next to universal studios and a few minuets drive away from all the Hollywood attractions ,walk of fame ext. with all this in mind it is a quiet hotel where you can enjoy a great nights sleep and truly feel welcomed nothing but praises for the Sheraton Universal.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, we agree that after a long trip a friendly face and great service can make a huge difference and set a great tone. We are so glad you chose to stay with us and we thank you for the excellent feedback. The location indeed is amazing and so convenient to get your day of fun started off right away. We do hope you consider us for future visits as it would be our pleasure to have you back soon!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

As a Starwood Preferred Guest, my room was upgraded upon check in. That was a pleasant surprise. The front desk was courteous and helpful and the room clean and comfortable. We were also given access to the club lounge. The hotel is also walking distance to Universal Studios. You can also opt to take the shuttle that comes by every 15 minutes or so. Highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Sheratonmanager001, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Guest, we are glad you had a nice visit and recieved an exceptional reception from the staff. We do all we can to make sure our guests feel special and at home. Thank you kindly for your insights and it is our hope that your travels will bring you back soon!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

The staff were excellent, the prices were very competitive, the rooms very comfy but the restaurant offering was pretty lacking and the facilities are a bit sterile. The pool was not working either. If I was going to Universal City I'd definitely recommend the Hilton next door instead.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, thank you kindly for your insights . Your thoughts on the restaurant are definitely passed on for us to revisit certain areas. We appreciate your feedback and thank you kindly for taking the time to write. Your experience is not what we accept and it is out hope that you will allow us to be of service again soon to show our true interest in you as our valued guest. Please feel free to keep me as your contact as well if you wish.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed here in April, 2014. Great location - can walk to Universal Studios and the City walk. Close driving distance to the Getty Centre and Griffith Observatory. Easy access to the 101. Hotel was clean and quiet. Good rooms and starbucks and a bar close to the elevators which was really handy. The concierge had tons of information and was very helpful. Price wasn't too crazy. I would recommend this to anyone visiting the LA area. Disneyland is a 45 - 55 minute drive.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest, thank you kindly for your insights and indeed the hotel is in a very prime location. We are glad the staff made your visit easy and you were able to take advantage of all the fun offerings the hotel and surrounding area has to offer! We do hope your travels bring you back this way soon. Thank you again for your excellent feedback!

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is spotlessly clean & very quiet, in fact we hardly passed another guest our whole stay. The pool was out if action which was a pity as there was nowhere to sit outside to enjoy the sun. Access to City a Walk & Universal Studios is so simple & both offer great shops, restaurants & bars. The staff at this hotel are very helpful & pleasant.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank j1lloyd

Dear Guest, we appreciate your time and feedback. We take great pride in the cleanliness of the hotel and thank you for mentioning it in your review! The staff works hard to create the most comfortable and welcoming environment possible. We do hope you travels bring you back this way soon, and it would be our pleasure to be of service again!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

It isn't if a property has problems or doesn't have problems (even the most perfect hotel will sometimes have a challenge) - it is how a property RECOVERS from the problem and what actions they take to resolve customer service issues. Due to some prompt attention and action by this hotel's Front Desk Manager Sam (both during and after my stay) this hotel proved they can recover nicely.

I stayed at this hotel last year and had some serious disappointment. Particularly in regards to the cleanliness of our suite. Upon bringing this to the attention of the Front Desk, action was taken, but still - some serious doubts about the property remained.

Upon returning home, I was again contacted by the Front Desk Manager. I responded and she invited me back, at my convenience, to stay at their property again, so that they could demonstrate for me the service and quality that they like to be known for.

I have just completed that stay, and I must say, I was rather impressed by the friendliness of the staff and my suite this time (they upgraded me to the same suite I had purchased previously) was in far better condition and clean as I would have expected. I will say, this return stay, returned my faith into this property.

Please note, the location of this property is excellent, particularly if you are visiting for Universal Studios. A free shuttle is provided and actually, it is within walking distance of the entrance. It is also in a good location overall for exploring Northern LA and surrounding attractions.

At the same time, the hotel is old - generally well kept and upgraded throughout the years, but it is an older property without too much "eye appeal."

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest, I appreciate your comments and it is very important to us that if there was an issue or concern it gets addressed immediately . I am glad I was able to help and the staff did all we can to make things right. Your comments are shared with the staff and the managers involved. Please feel free to keep me as your contact for any future visits as it would be my absolute pleasure to be of service again!