I am not sure how to even begin describing my horrible experience with this hotel so let me just number my complaints in order:
1. reservation was wrong and had us booked for 1 king bed instead of two full beds. Did not have a room with two full beds so had to give us room with a rollaway!
2. Room appearance was "distressed" at best with headboards that were peeling and at first glance looked like blood stains.
3. A long letter on the desk explained how they were "excited" to announce that their pool was under renovation so that they may provide their guests with a new experience. How is this exciting for us when our stay is now...not four months from now? Also, all the site reviews I read before enthusiastically booking this hotel, showed the hotels feedback that the renovations were to be completed by the first week of April 2014.
4. The room was dirty and the wall socket in the bathroom was melted and did not work so we could not even plug in a curling iron.
5. The room was layered with dust and there was blue ink pen scribbled all over the headboard and the leatherette chair...it was beyond unsightly.
6. It appeared the room had been taken out of commission and booked to us after they messed up the reservation.
7. I decided to request another room.
8. The only other room available had a 1 x1 foot piece of carpet cut out, and a view of the pool that was frightening. Dark sludge at the bottom of the pool without any attempt to hide the unsightly view that more than 50% of the rooms looked out onto. Unreal for the price of this room. (note that the restaurant also is wall to wall windows that look out to this view and truly ruined out appetites). Twice during our stay, guest service employees stated that the rooms were due for an upgrade and it was "an older property". Funny, the room prices of over $200.00 per night do not reflect the price of an "older property".
9. We decided the horrible conditions of the second room were so much worse than our first room that we went back to it. That evening we realize the heat was also out in our room. It was 50 degrees outside and being from Arizona...we were freezing cold. I realize to anyone from the East coast that this must sound ridiculous but again...for the price we paid, I expected to have air conditioning that worked and I expected to be comfortable.
10. We were told the heat was broken but it would be fixed by the time we returned that evening from a full day at Universal Studios.
11. The heat was still out and we were finally told after a long runaround that they could not fix it but could offer us a space heater. Again...unreal for the price of this room but we took it because we were freezing and they had no more rooms left
12. The space heater they brought up was broken with a melted control. We had to hold down the knob and guess if the heat was on low or high. I called and explained the issue and again requested another room so we could get a nights sleep. They had none. At this point it was 10:30p.m. at night and we were exhausted. They said they were going to send someone from engineering to look at the heat and I told them I did not want someone in my room so late at night. They had all day to fix the heat and failed to do so. My daughter, who was fighting a fever, went to bed and I got in a hot tub to try to warm up and relax.
13. A knock at the door scared my daughter and she answered the door to a custodian who said he was instructed to take away the space heater. My daughter frantically got me out of the tub and through the door I pleaded that this man go away. He refused twice. I finally insisted he leave and I was truly scared and began to feel unsafe and threatened. I need to add that our "do not disturb" sign was on the door when he knocked at 11 p.m at night and refused to leave without the space heater.
14. At one point we ordered room service. I got a bacon cheeseburger. They delivered it without the bacon. Instead of taking the order back and making it right, the room service attendant left telling me he would bring me back the bacon! I kid you not! To make it even more comical...he returned 30 minutes later with the bacon. It was rock hard and cold as ice so they had to have retrieved it from the refrigerator, probably used for their salad bar? I am not sure. All I know is it was dry cold and uneatable. I had a cold hamburger and a plate of cold bacon in front of me. I told him to take it back and forget about it. ( I was offered a $50.00 restaurant credit to use in the hotel to make up for this mistake but they knew we were checking out the next morning and we had already paid for a package that included a free breakfast so there was no way I could use the offer)
I am still fighting to get a refund. Incredible and horrendous.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nothing says Hollywood like a facelift. We have started our guest room renovation at the HOTEL OF THE STARS. All services are still available for guest use during this phase. At the Sheraton Universal Hotel, located next door to the excitement of Universal Studios, we artfully blend Sheraton's four-star service with the history of an iconic Hollywood Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelsClick, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Sheraton Universal Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Los Angeles
- Los Angeles Sheraton