“A Trip Down Memory Lane Every Time!”

Sheraton Universal Hotel
Ranked #130 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I cannot help but have a soft spot for this hotel. I first stayed here when I was 11 years old, and met Telly Savalas and Evil Knievel. Telly was actually swimming in the hotel pool, and I believe he actually passed away in his suite. As I walk through the doors, the feeling of pathos certainly overwhelms me even today, and I cannot help but love the place. That being said, there is certainly room for improvement, and I believe the hotel is working on it.

I always feel like a star when I am recognized for my loyalty and generally upgraded, or offered access to the club lounge - these touches go a long way to making one a loyal customer. However, certain aspects of the rooms in which I have stayed seem a little tired, and in need of a facelift. The couch was stained, and the furniture looked a little worse for wear. The bed was comfortable, and the lighting in the bathroom was better than most.

That being said, the service was exemplary, I was not hounded by housekeepers, the food in the club lounge was good and I simply enjoyed every minute of my time! I am a little biased, but if I need to stay in the area for meetings this is my choice every time.

Room Tip: I personally like the corner rooms for the extra light, and great views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Abbe L
Sheratonmanager001, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Guest , we are thrilled that you have such great memories of the hotel and this experience with us was a good one. You are always going to be our VIP and we are honored to be of service,. The staff is dedicated and they show it every day with their caring actions . We have also definitely noted your comments on the room condition and it will be discussed with the managers involved. Your feedback is crucial to our future success and thank you again for your time. We do hope your travels bring you back this way soon as we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel for one night for a visit to Universal Studios. I picked it for the location and the free shuttle to and from City Walk. Sheraton charges $24 for self park in their covered lot, $28 for valet (+ tip). Universal Studios general parking is $16. Next time I will stay at a cheaper and possibly cleaner hotel and walk a few extra steps.

I figured that since it was a Sheraton it would be quite nice. (I'm more partial to Marriot as a hotel chain but they don't have one next to the park.) The lobby is decorated pleasantly, they've attempted a glamorous Hollywood décor. It appears they've attempted this same theme in their guest rooms. We stayed on the 20th floor and the views were excellent. But it really is the little things that catch your eye. Like the chipping headboard that I pictured raining debris on my forehead all night, and the hole in the bathroom wall that looks suspiciously like a mouse house and even gnaw marks around the bottom of the bathroom door. The glass placed over the dresser and tables was disgusting, housekeeping isn't being told to picked it up and wipe off the undersides. The wallpaper is peeling and starting to sag. The sink knobs are loose and I was afraid of ripping one off the counter.

For the price it should be nicer. One night after all their extra fees came to $285. For nearly $300, it shouldn't feel so icky. I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest , thank you kindly for your excellent feedback in regards to your visit and we will certainly share this information with the managers involved for future room considerations. Our only concern is that our guests have a great relaxing time in a convenient and pristine environment. We are definitely disappointed that this visit did not meet your expectations. We would be happy to have the opportunity to be of service again if your travels ever bring you back this way , and if they do please feel free to keep me as your contact as I am happy to help with your reservation and visit set up. Thank you again very much for you time and insights.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for extensive period in 2013 while working in the valley.
The hotel provided for convenient access to and from the work location particularly considering the LA traffic. The hotel is also good for easy access for Universal Studios. The staff is friendly and was willing to provide early/ late check ins as needed and help with other issues when raised.

In terms of improvement ideas, the hotel needs to upgrade the rooms so as to enable better and more comfortable sleep. The pool was often under maintenance which does not contribute to a good stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest , we appreciate your time and are very happy the location was good for your business travel needs and the staff made you feel welcome . We do all we can to accommodate early and late departures as we know travel can be difficult at times. Your comments on the hotel condition is also noted and certainly reviewed with the managers involved. Please feel free to keep me as your contact as well for any future visits as it would be our pleasure to have you back very soon!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I normally am never a a hard person to please when it comes to hotels but I have to say that this hotel by far was definitely one of the worst ones. The only positive thing I will say is the fact that it is very close to Universal Studios. I would say pay the extra money and book the Hilton which is right next to it. Back to this hotel.... My first complaint was the fact that they had booked a couple of different weddings at the hotel. This is fine and dandy but they failed to let me know that the only rooms available were the ones that were underneath their ballroom which played loud music until midnight both Friday and Saturday night. My next complaint is that the rooms are very old. I could see cracks in the walls and the headboards on the bed were faded. The beds were very uncomfortable and hard and their were several stains on the floors. I am not picky but for the price you pay you want it to be decent. For a hotel that says that it has recently upgraded it was hard to tell. All in all I would reccommend the Hilton or another motel that is close by as it is definitely worth more of your dollar.

Room Tip: Do not stay on a floor underneath the Starlight Room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sheratonmanager001, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guest, it is certainly disheartening that your visit was marred by the noise element . It would have been ideal to move your room to a quieter location. It is our only want is that our guests fully enjoy their visits . Your comment on your room condition are also passed on to the managers involved for further review. We thank you kindly for your time and feedback and please feel free to keep me as your contact for any possible future visits as it would be great to show you our true interest in you as our valued guest.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I spent 4 days at this hotel, and enjoyed the stay. The staff was VERY helpful, and the facility was clean. The carpet in the facility added to a slightly worn look (is it too much for carpet that is starting to wrinkle in these hotels, to be re-stretched?)
The in-hotel resturant was good, nothing spectacular. There was a buffet bar, that was also good. If you are going to have juice/coffee/milk with your regular breakfast, it is VERY close in price to the buffet.
A big disappointment was the pool/hot tub. Signs were posted all over that the pool/hot tub was closed and a BIG remodel was happening. Well, for the entire length of my visit, the only work I witnessed was a worker moving a life-guard sign. Too bad, it was over 100 degrees, and the pool would have been very nice. As an option, the hotel offered us the ability to use the Hilton pool which was a short walk away. The time I visited the Hilton, the pool was VERY busy, and discouraged me from visiting again.
I will put in a plug for the Hilton where I had to walk for the pool; who offered $4.00 gelato at a small coffee bar, which was FABULOUS! I came back for it twice!

Room Tip: Lower floors would be preferred because the elevators can be very busy during the day.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest, it is wonderful that your visit was a successful and the staff was there for your needs. Your comments are invaluable and allow us to revisits certain areas as needed. We appreciate your time and it is our hope that your travels bring you back this way soon, and you need to try our ice-cream selection as well, it’s pretty delicious !

Reviewed 18 May 2014

For an expensive hotel in the middle of entertainment heaven, this is a pretty mediocre place. No charm or character whatsoever. Mostly, it's convenient. The restaurant is overpriced and overcrowded. The rooms are completely average. We had to ask to move as the room they gave us was so noisy, because of being near the gym. Not sure why they couldn't figure out not to out guests in rooms that are unavoidably noisy. The pool was small and not particularly enticing.

If you want to spend your LA vacation at Universal, this is very convenient, but if not, there are many great hotels in LA that deserve your money more!

Room Tip: Ensure you are not near the gym if you plan to sleep!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest, it is disappointing that your visit was marred by the room location , noise and the restaurant concern. We take great pride in our service and product and you comments allow us to take measures to improve. We appreciate your time and giving us your invaluable feedback. We do hope you will reconsider visits I us again and if you do please keep me as your contact as I would be happy to help with your reservation.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We just finished a few day stay at the Sheraton Universal Hotel. It is in a great location adjacent to Universal Studios. This hotel has been a grand icon there for many decades- there in lies the problem - it is old and in need of modernizing- the lobby/foyer is nice but once on the room floors for example carpet is a bit on the saggy worn out side. The rooms are small, but ok, but then again there is the wallpaper sagging in several spots-not exactly what I expect at a Sheraton Hotel. The hotel advertises that they have shut and are going to be remodeling their pool - they would be better off doing the interior first....
On a positive note, we did find the staff very pleasant and accomodating during our stay

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for your comments on your last visit and your impression on the room. We will definitely share your comments with the managers involved for future improvements and considerations. We are glad that the staff made you special and comfortable. We thank you kindly for taking the time to write and it is our hope that we will see you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
The Garland
#13 of 354 in Los Angeles
Central L.A
Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Been to Sheraton Universal Hotel? Share your experiences!