“Very convenient location”

Ranked #121 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Irvine, CA
“Very convenient location”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Sheraton and Hilton are next to Universal Studios so very convenient. A shuttle circles both hotels and provides drop off/pick up at the City Walk. The hotel was well appointed but is starting to show wear and tear. However, the rooms are comfortable. Everything is clean. The Platinum lounge is nice too.

Room Tip: I think all rooms would be fine. Originally they gave us a view of the pool. That sounded nice unt...
Green Features: I was not aware of these the hotel had environmentally-friendly practice. I cannot comment on this.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank traveler222Irvine
Sheratonmanager001, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest , thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we are very glad that you enjoyed your room and the lounge, please keep us in mind for any future visit as it would be our pleasure to have you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We checked in close to 8pm, there was a mistake with my reservations that was actually Expedias fault not Sheratons. My check in took about 20 min since he was fixing my name, he assured me my name was fixed on their end. We headed to the elevators so we can leave our luggage in the room and head to city walk for dinner before the restaurants closed. There was only 1 working elevator and a line of 20 people trying to use it. The hotel seems outdated, the rooms were ok, the bathrooms were small. For the price they charge I expected It to be nicer. I have stayed at plenty of Sheratons for $100 less than this place charged and they were a lot nicer. We head down to dinner and we had the same elevator problem. The walk to city walk took about 5 minutes, it wasn't too bad except for the elevator you have to take to head up to ground level wasn't working very well. We actually had two rooms under my name so we planned to meet the other half of our group in the lobby at 8:30 am so we can head to the park. 5am, someone opened our hotel room and then shut it as soon as they saw we were in there. Talk about a wake up call. We go back to sleep and the phone rings at 6am, I pick up and no answer so I go back to sleep. 6:30am the phone rings again and it's the front desk asking me my name and they need to fix it in their system. Really? At 6:30am????? This is my 1 night away from my kids in a whole year and I'm being woken up 3 times before 6:30 am. I answer his questions and hang up. I called back and spoke with a lady and asked them to please not call the other room my reservation was under so they wouldn't wake up more people. Too late they had woken them up too. We head down and i went to the front desk, I work in customer service so I wanted to make sure everything was figured out before we checked out. Dora was working and when I asked her to check for me she gave me attitude and answered "didn't I talk to you already? I told you on the phone it was taken care of" rolling her eyes. I explained how I was woken up 3 times before 6:30 and she again said "yes, I talked to you when you called the front desk. It's taken care of" never once did she apologize for the inconvenience. I have never seen such horrible customer service at a hotel. Next time we are staying at the Hilton across the street. I will not stay at this hotel again. What a waste of $500 I spent on 2 rooms.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank princesscel
Dear Guest , thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and it is certainly disheartening that your visit was clearly marred by the reservation issues, elevator and service concerns . We do apologize as we could have done better. We pride ourselves on creating exceptional experiences and we are disappointed that your visit left you with a negative impression. We have all of your concerns noted and addressed with the Managers and Directors involved. Please accept our apologies and be assure that if you decided to return we will extend the service and hospitality that we are known for. Please feel free to keep me ( Guest Relations Manager ) as your contact for any possible future visits if you wish.

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Spent 3 nights here, was concerned about what kind of place it was going to be after reading mixed reviews, but was pleasantly surprised.
We had a nice room on the lower floors overlooking the pool. Unfortunately the pool was not able to be used which was disappointing however, the hotel had arrangements for guests to use a neighbouring hotel's pool. Understand that repairs and renovations are required and its good that the hotel provide options.
Walk to Universal Studios, also a shuttle bus for those who can't get up the big hill. Close to freeways so we got around pretty easily considering first time driving in LA.
WIFI didn't work in the room which was the only real 'dilemma'.
Very comfortable stay.

Room Tip: rooms overooking the pool in the low rise section made it feel less like a big chain hotel and more...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest , thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and your pool and internet concerns . Please trust that your room concerns are noted and shared with the Directors and managers involved. We appreciate your time and are glad that you enjoyed your visit. We do hope to be of service again soon!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We experienced excellent service when staying at the Sheraton Universal. The hotel is well located, the room well appointed and concierge assistance was fabulous. The only drawback is that free wi-fi is only available in the lobby.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sheratonmanager001, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Guest , we appreciate your feedback and thank you for mentioning the service and the well appointed rooms! Your comments on the wi-fi are certainly shared with the managers involved and it is our hope that your travels bring you back this way soon as we would be honored to be of service again!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

If this hotel was on a highway outside of a small town in the USA we could understand the poor conditions, but this is Los Angeles LA ! and at Universal !!

This should be a top notch hotel but they appear to be squeaking by on the dollar but sure do not charge the same. The prices are hefty, and become more absurd once you realize what you are getting during your stay.

As you enter there is some nice ambiance, the water fountain at the entrance is nice, the front desk and lobby are nice. When you get to the room, it all changes.

Furniture is all dated, the bathroom is old, tiny and doors are noisy, everything works just enough. The room condition is below the norm. The telephone is very old. TV is a small size and there only a few local channels! Most of the channels come split screen so the picture is even smaller. Also some channels are not ever clear! It is unbelievable that it's a Universal hotel. They should have an excellent system installed and better equipment.

We asked around and learned the owners are Chinese from either Hong Kong or Taiwan. They are in the hotel business there. Well they certainly are sparing their pennys in America.

People are saying they should've stayed at the Hilton next door. We went to look but weren't in a position to change then. It looks better.

We stayed at a Hilton further out once before. Amazingly different, they had Direct TV ! and that was a few years ago. The screen size was larger even in regular rooms. You could record TV shows, on cable channels as well as regular channels and watch them after a days work, when you wanted.

The Sheraton pool is not open. They said its been under renovations for over a year, it is way behind and now has not been approved by city code. So no one at the hotel knows when it will open. The pool has a nice location, you can see it if you are on the highway side. Too bad about it, appears the management is problematic.

More so this a Starwood property at Universal, this property should be one of their best and in fact it is way down the bottom of the list.

This hotel needs to be updated, very much in need.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Sam S
Dear Guest , thank you for your review and we are disappointed that you departed with a negative impression. We are indeed at the tail end of our pool renovation and certainly did make other arrangements for our guests to use the neighboring pool at the time . We fully understand your room concerns and please be assured that your comment are noted and shared with the Managers involved and we do apologize for any inconvenience. We do hope to regain your trust during another possible visit and please feel free to keep me as your contact if your travels bring you back this way. ( Guest Relations Manager) Thank you
Reviewed 1 June 2014

No Pool . Makes me and my kids sad.Last year the hot tub was not working. This year the pool and hot tub were closed for repairs . It would have been nice if we were told when we were booking . How ever there was a nice sorry for you letter in the room . other wise nice clean hotel friendly and helpful staff.

Room Tip: get a room in the high rise facing east
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Sheratonmanager001, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest, I understand your concerns about the pool and you are traveling with little ones who look forward to the pool so that can be difficult. The hotel has indeed made other arrangements for pool use until our pool is fully completed. We do appreciate your patience and your feedback is very much appreciated. Pleased accept my apologys for any inconvenience. Thank you for mentioning the well appointed room that will be passed on as well. Please feel free to keep me as your contact if your travels ever bring you back this way.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Took the family to universal studios, booked the room the day of arrival as we were looking for the hotel we were making reservations by phone, I had requested 2 queen size beds and I was told that my request was available and that when we would arrive the room would be ready. Got to the hotel and I was told that the room would be ready in 2 hrs but it was available. Drove around LA went back to the hotel 2 hrs later, the receptionist all of the sudden was rude, got to the room and noticed that the room had only 1 king size bed, called them and explained that I had requested 2 queen size beds but they refused to help! They didn't even try to look for another room they said they were booked and that they couldn't do nothing! We had been driving for 18 hrs we were tired and we were only staying in LA for a limited time. I had never experienced horrible service from the receptionist!! They said they could only offer us a roll away bed and that's it.. It was four of us cramped into a room! We were very disappointed, lack of customer service and professionalism! Will never stay in a Sheraton Hotel in the future!!!!!

Room Tip: When you make a reservation by phone ask for the person's name and ask multiple times if what yo...
Green Features: The staff that greeted us as we were arriving and the housekeepers were super friendly and helpful! The receptionists need a refreshers course on customer service they were horrible and didn't care..
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ana C
Dear Guest, it is disheartening to read of the service issue you encountered. We pride ourselves on excellent service and there is no room except for delivering just that. We will take your comments and certainly share them with the managers involved to assure the team is aware and we can do the proper coaching and follow up. Please accept our apology’s and be assured that your comments are invaluable and very much appreciated. If you would be kind enough to consider returing, please feel free to keep me as your contact and I would be happy to assist with your reservations and make it a better, more memorable experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Central L.A
Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
The Garland
#12 of 350 in Los Angeles

Been to Sheraton Universal Hotel? Share your experiences!