“Not much to say...”

Sheraton Universal Hotel
Ranked #130 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Nice city hotel, comfortable beds, lovely pool & helpful staff.
The hotel is around a 10 minute slow walk from Universal but there is also a shuttle bus to and from the park for hotel guests.
The only inconvenience (for us) was that there was no free wifi point in the hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank sionedeleri

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Pros:-5 mins by walk to Universal Studios
-clean and neat
-very comfortable rooms and lobby
-free shuttle service to Universal Studios

Cons:- very simple and small sports area (only 3 treadmills for 5 star hotel?)
- sometimes services from concierge is overpriced.
- Far away from city center (only ideal for Universal Studios visit)

Hint: You can find 20$ shuttle service from LAX Airport to hotel. Otherwise you have to pay 100$ for taxi or vip service.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed here in late May 2014.
The lobby looks great, very updated, photos of famous stars behind the check in counter and a tour desk which has some handy discount cards you take for things like Madame Tussaud's and Macy's,
Staff are helpful, even when all but one of their internet computers were out, they offered for me to use there's as I was checking flight info.
The rooms and especially the elevators need a refurbishment, but personally the bedding/seating/desk/tv area was fine, the bathrooms still have shower curtains and shared bath/shower, but the basin area is quite large.
In terms of convenience to Universal, great! Took me about 10mins, but it does have a but of a hill, so for families, perhaps 15-20mins with the kids. The shuttle is very convenient as well, especially since the Sheraton is the first stop when coming back from Universal CityWalk, felt like a VIP bring the first hotel to get off the bus.
Noise was not a concern at all. I was on level 19 and couldn't hear any noise from the parks or traffic.
So definitely stay here for up to 4 nights I would say, any longer and I think the elevator/bathrooms in the rooms might get annoying. I stayed 2 nights so I enjoyed it, plus you spend most time at the universal park or shops if you were to stay here. I wouldn't stay here for an entire visit to LA. You would spend a lot on transport then too. Also a great location if you want to do the WB tour.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I expected more from a Starwood facility. You are really paying for the location. The AC fan was loud made it difficult to sleep. This caused me to check out a day early. I then noticed that my card was charged all nights I booked. I called back to hotel and spoke with operator (Daniel I think). She said "well sir you can't run out on a room you booked." I thought that was uncalled for which immediately caused my defense mode to kick in. I stated how do you expect me to stay in a room I can not sleep in. I asked to speak to a manager she said I would have to wait until after 5pm. It was 1pm when I made the call. The money was eventually put back into my account. I thought the operator was very rude. The bell staff was friendly but the check in person was not happy to be there. I did not get the value I paid for and will not return to this property. I had high expectations for Starwood. The Hilton might be a better option on our next visit this fall.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2014

If you want to stay near Universal studio then this one is one of the 3 hotels which are very close to the studio.
we had booked a suite & it was nice , except the bath/toilet design was bit funny & looked like the design wasn't done by very professionals.
the staff at the hotel was nice , specially concierge was good & really helping .
overall good experience .

Room Tip: take on higher floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Bell staff, doormen, front desk and coffee bar attendant were very friendly. The lobby and pool look updated. Complimentary shuttle service to Universal Studios and City walk was great. It is also a short walk to the park if you miss the bus. The thing to remember is that you are paying for location, location, location. This hotel is busy with tourists, so a few things need refreshing. Primarily the carpet in the guest hallways and guest rooms need to be replaced, the bathroom and guest room door needs new paint and the wallpaper in the bathroom vanity area needs to be replaced. The room however was clean and the service was great and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: I prefer low floors, but we got a high floor since the room was ready. It had a nice view of the cit...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I pre paid to stay at this hotel and now I have had an additional $500 taken off of my card to pay for the hotel for a second time. I have contacted the hotel a number of times and have never had a response even though they agree that this should not have happened. Thieves!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
The Garland
#14 of 354 in Los Angeles
Central L.A
Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Been to Sheraton Universal Hotel? Share your experiences!