“Surprising Find”

Ranked #71 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Michigan
“Surprising Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

I picked this hotel because it was the closest to our daughter's. What a delightful surprise: the registration and check out were professional, courteous, and efficient. Free internet and tables to use it in the room. The countertops in the bedroom and bathroom were granite. The lobby was spacious and the included breakfast [with a copy of the LA Times] lovely. The hotel has a pool and hot tub--which we did not use. It is across from the fire station, but could not hear any noise in the rooms. Gave us discount coupons for Denny's nearby. Also nice Thai restaurant nearby. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask at the desk
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
seeyeah, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Reseda, responded to this review, 21 April 2011
Dear MaureenM,

Thank you for stay at our hotel. Surprise Surprise, well thats what we like to do.
Many travelers that come over to our Howard Johnson the first time expect that it may not be as clean or as updated when they book with the great price they paid. Surprise.... thats what we do over at this HAPPY HOWARD JOHNSON location. We provide exceptional service. clean and comfortable rooms and all with a smile to GO... We do work with area restaurant to provide our guest with discounts for their patronage. We do all we can do for you our Guest.

Much Happiness,

Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

I am from Washington, D.C. and visited my son who is a student at CSUN, Northridge. I was very pleased with my stay here. All of the staff was very friendly and they provided me with whatever I needed. The complimentary breakfast was good and the atmosphere was wonderful. I stayed for 5 days and really enjoyed my stay. The rooms were very comfortable and I was pleased to have free internet. I will definately stay there again, my next visit. Thank you HOJO!! You Rock!! LOL

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Dear Vicky581,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with the public. We provide all our guest with a smile and all the service they need. Many parents visiting there children who attend the University of California at Northrigde stay with our hotel for the comfort and service we provide. We are also close to many of the attraction in the Los Angeles Area. eg Getty Museum,Universal Studios, Hollywood Walk of Fame,Santa Monica and Venice Beach.
We hope to see you soon.

The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

I'd like to start off by reacting to the person reviewing this hotel earlier (2 or 3 below mine): I do get around (since 1985, many many countries visited from the US to Indonesia, from South Africa to Uzbekistan, etc), but I don't care a great deal for luxury.
I do care about cleanliness (which I found here) and friendliness (which I found here). Above all, I want to be comfortable, which I was. Good beds, clean (renovated) rooms, free and secure parking, a safe location (not as sketchy as some reviewers make it out to be) and trustworthy and friendly staff.
The breakfast was fine by me: cereals, fruit, juice (from a Minute Maid machine), small muffins and bagels. I'm from Europe, I won't mention the coffee, which is a hard thing to come by in the US if you like it tasty, aromatic and strong.
All in all, my friend and I were very satisfied with our stay at the HoJo in Reseda and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Dear gnup2,

WOW thank you very much for those wonderful words regarding your stay with us. All travelers are entitled to there opinion with there stay with us. Our hotel has had many guest that were very happy with the service and comfort and cleanliness we provide. We are in the happiness business now, so come and be HAPPY..... The Howard Johnson Inn & Suites way. We look forward to serving you again on your next trip back with us. We will try to work on the coffee issue.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

From taking our reservation over the phone to the great breakfast on the day we checked out, this hotel and its staff were excellent. The front desk was prompt and courteous. The breakfast was yummy. The beds were clean and comfy. I highly recommend this hotel and my girlfriend and I will stay here again when we visit the local theme parks again.

• Stayed March 2011
Dear Truce432,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the traveling public. We serve all our guests with a smile and the best service possible. Happiness is what we do at the Howard Johnson.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

It was a little hard to find but the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff made it worthwhile. The room was very decent and clean. The price was accessible and if you mention that you got the info from this website, you might get a discount =D (depends on the hotel if its available, it was when my boyfriend and I stayed)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
seeyeah, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Reseda, responded to this review, 4 April 2011
Dear ariGarci,

Glad you found our rooms clean and the staff that provided friendly service. We pride ourself for giving all our guest the best experience for their stay at our hotel. Our hotel provides all this for a economical price to all of our guests.Glad you found good value for your stay.

Chino, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

Had a show in town and booked 12 rooms for my employees. Not a single complaint. We all enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Dear turtlelo,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your group booking. Glad all of group found our hotel to their liking. We will continue to provide great service and exceptional service to all our guest.
Hope all went well with your event.

Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

Booked 2 nights at the Reseda HoJo, pretty much because of the stuff folks here are saying. What a joke. I guess people don't get around much.

This place is a standard, tired, old, dingy, stucco, musty, 2 story Southern California motel, in a sketchy area of the San Fernando Valley.

To be ranked #9 in the Los Angeles area here says a lot about the desirability of even going to that part of California.

Easily the least appealing place I have been in the last 10 years.

These comments are specific to the physical property. It is pathetic. The continental breakfast is a hoot also.

The staff was helpful and went our of their way to make the magnetic cards, which were of a similar quality to the rest of the place, even work.

All in all, if you need a cheap motel in the San Fernando Valley, this works but by all means do not expect much.

3 Thank Metacomet
Dear Metacome,

Please let me first apologize for your experience at our property. We are a newly renovated property as of May 2008. All the rooms were totally redone. All new beds,carpets,furniture,32" flatscreen TV'S, mini fridges, bathrooms finished in granite for the vanity and the shower walls etc...
The building was painted right after all the rooms were done. We provide profesional service always with a smile, provide clean rooms as many people have reviewed. Many travelers don't expect much for the economical rates we provide, but are very surprised when they arrive at the hotel for what we provide. Continental breakfast gets many travelers started with bagels,toast,2 types of cereal, muffins,danish, oatmeal, apples, oranges, tea, coffee, apple juice and orange juice.
Our area is a typical Los Angeles area it is safe with many tourist locations nearby.
Lot of visitors do not like to stay in the downtown LA area for all the congestion and the added cost of staying there.
We provide free secured parking to all our guest. Keep smiling and we wish you well.